Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2018, 09:40 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

The Light at the End of the Tunnel

How cool is this!

I’ve been under the weather for the past couple of months,with some severe A-Fib problems and in the middle of it, my little buddy of 16 years passed over the Rainbow Bridge. As if that wasn’t enough, I had three kidney stone attacks (# 7, 8 &9!), during this time and last week I had to have two of them surgically removed! To say the least, it really took the wind out of my sails! Being inmy 70’s, I just don’t bounce back like I used to! But, I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel…. and I’m pretty sure it isn’t a train! I’m now able to get out a couple of times a day with my walker and prowl around the neighborhood, enjoying the fresh air and all the blooming flowers.

I’m the “neighborhood grandpa,” and it’s a title I hold with great pride. Yesterday evening, I wandered over to my friends on the corner and we sat out on the lawn and shot the breeze for awhile and their 11 year-old daughter, Lila (one of my “adopted” kids) joined the conversation. I’ve decided to get another dog and I asked Lila if she and her little friend Kiera would like to help me pick one out and help me name him. Her eyes lit up like diamonds and she had a smile from ear to ear! She was so tickled and was immediately off to tell her friend the news.

This is going to be such fun…. for all concerned.

05-23-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
All the best with your new dog when you choose it. I know what it is like. I still miss my dobermans and it has been five years since I lost the last one.
Glad to hear that your health is on the mend.
Regards.
05-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dewman, Glad to see you on the mend. I did not know this. I was out your way last week in Yellowstone. I am still trying to convince my wife to move to Idaho Falls.
05-23-2018, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Very sorry to hear you've had such a rough patch But also very glad to hear you've decided to get another doggy, and how nice that you've asked Lila and Kiera to "help" (that's a very nice thing to do, Dewey). Good for you!

05-24-2018, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words, my friends. I'm so looking forward to my adventure with my adopted kids and a new puppy!
05-24-2018, 02:25 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Thanks for the kind words, my friends. I'm so looking forward to my adventure with my adopted kids and a new puppy!
Photos, Dewey. Lots of photos
05-24-2018, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Photos, Dewey. Lots of photos

You can count on it, Mack!

05-24-2018, 07:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Dewman, Glad to see you on the mend. I did not know this. I was out your way last week in Yellowstone. I am still trying to convince my wife to move to Idaho Falls.

Idaho Falls is a nice area. Keep twisting her arm. You'll never regret the move!
05-25-2018, 11:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a nice positive thread good luck with the puppy I have an English springer spaniel and I cannot remember a single day when he hasn’t made me laugh out loud. He is also ridiculously photogenic fingers crossed the progress continues and remember, 70 is the new 50
05-26-2018, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Again, I'll say THANK YOU for all the kind words and encouragement. I can't remember any significant length of time as an adult that I haven't shared my life with a dog. This is the first time I've had one that succumbed to "natural causes," and the longest (16 years) I've ever been owned by a dog. It has been a very difficult time and I've been so preoccupied with my physical problems that I haven't had the proper time to grieve his loss. But.... all things in time.

When I was a child, my mother's husband wouldn't allow me to have a dog, but as soon as I left home and got married, the FIRST thing I did was get a dog! I made sure that MY son grew up with a dog! He's now 48 and has never been without one his entire life!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
  Photo 
05-26-2018, 06:58 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm glad you're recovering, my friend. I know what you mean about being in one's 70s - a good bit of the resilience of youth is missing, and getting the bounce back takes longer than it used to!

Enjoy finding that new pup - and don't forget to post pictures.

Jer
05-26-2018, 07:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I'm glad you're recovering, my friend. I know what you mean about being in one's 70s - a good bit of the resilience of youth is missing, and getting the bounce back takes longer than it used to!

Enjoy finding that new pup - and don't forget to post pictures.

Jer

Check your PM.