Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hats, a question

OK guys.
Summer is here and my beanie is in the drawer! Problem is, I am as folically challenged as Jean Luc Picard I need something to stop the sun frying what little brain I have left! Baseball caps are fine but the one I have has a stiff brim which means I have to get my gangster on when shooting in portrait mode and wearing my hat backwards, at my age, makes me look like a bit of a cockwomble! So, help me out, what does the practical yet fashionable Pentaxian wear on his head?

05-28-2018, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
one genuine boonie hat is what is on my head all spring, summer, and most of the fall:

Henschel | Washed Boonie Hat | Hats Unlimited
05-28-2018, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
one genuine boonie hat is what is on my head all spring, summer, and most of the fall:

Henschel | Washed Boonie Hat | Hats Unlimited
This is what I tend to wear when I have a camera in hand also.
05-28-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting! I have a genuine "Englishman abroad" fedora which I think is rather swish but my wife won't let me wear it anywhere north of the Mediterranean! Boonie eh? Googling

05-28-2018, 01:47 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I am a firm believer in broad brim hats and I have several

the top of the line is - of course - a Tilley from Canada

and according to the web site, you can get them in England

Hats & Finest Travel Clothing for Men & Women | Tilley

I am not sure what style I have but it has a snap on each side which allows me to wear it " aussie " style with one side folded up

it my be a T 3

I also have another broad brim hat I bought in Sydney which has a open weave side design

I tell kids that it is my weather hat and if my head gets wet, it must be raining

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-28-2018 at 01:53 PM.
05-28-2018, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I have something similar to what Pepperberry farm has, it is a Columbia and has ventilated sides. I wear it under my mosquito netting and spray it all down with High DEET bug spray to slow down the blackflies, mossies and ticks.
05-28-2018, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can highly recommend a 'Tilley hat'.

I recently bought this model: Organic AIRFLOŽ Hat | Tilley

The brim is formed and softly structured, yet yields nicely when holding a camera to the eye.

Hats by Tilley are relatively expensive but they can last for decades and carry a solid guarantee.

05-28-2018, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
There are some good Vietnam style boonies on amazon, also, strangely, according to google there are two colombia shops in the UK one of which is in a village, 10 miles north of here. The clip up side style of tilley is also rather funky, I was actually considering an Aussie style bush hat! Food for thought. Thanks for the suggestions
05-28-2018, 07:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Well, I'm a baseball hat guy and I turn mine around when in portrait mode, using a shoe mounted flash or when the wind is blowing. Around 90% of the time when I wear hats, it's a baseball hat. I have a full head of hair so I wear a hat to keep it out of my eyes and also because I'm a lazy old fart and wearing a hat is easier that the hassle of combs, brushes, etc. I do have a couple of bucket hats (I think that's what they call them) that I wear kayaking in summer and they also have a chin cord to hold it on your head in the wind. The brims are flexible.