Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2018, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well, some of it evaporates into the atmosphere and comes back as precipitation. But in order to keep it all in balance, there is a hole in the bottom of the ocean which is an inlet for a giant pump and distribution system. Salt water is pumped in, goes through a giant reverse osmosis filter and is the sent through millions of miles of pipes and tubing where it emerges in various springs around the earth. Well all, that is, except Alice Springs.
Phew! Thank goodness for that......that explains everything.

---------- Post added 05-31-18 at 10:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
But what about Coopers? That can not possibly come from the USA. Way too good.
Bloody Hell Sandy....Shhhh !!! Its ours and we are NOT sharing !! ......they'll drink it all !

---------- Post added 05-31-18 at 10:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Greg1956 Quote
I'm proud to be a figment of someone's imagination!!

I didn't think I was that important.

It's made my day all worthwhile

Sent from a flat earther's mind someone other than Australia.
BTW " I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested" LOL
….mmmm? never did share the results of that test did she ?

---------- Post added 05-31-18 at 10:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It doesn't matter what you do on this forum. It always comes down to beer and/or bacon.
Thank god for that !

---------- Post added 05-31-18 at 10:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
They do, so long as it is inebriating. Even Fosters.

But Coopers is sold through a higher end wine shop. Interestingly at a price not much more than in Adelaide.
See what you have done Sandy. ? Better tell them the truth....its really, REALLY bad beer, do not buy it....truly awful stuff.....leave it to sandy & I to dispose of it for you.

05-31-2018, 04:18 AM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
But it will remain a concept. No matter how hard you try, a lesser mind will never be in a sustainable position of superiority over the intelligentsia.

The only way I could see the tables being turned is through the unintended consequences of some supreme act of stupidity.

Intelligentsia tend not to do well in emergencies. They are not good at lifting a finger to feed themselves. They tend to become too self important to be engaged in such mundane tasks.. Societies based upon intelligentsia making all the rules don't work out well in the long run either. Marx was considered a member of the intelligentsia.

This is getting too deep. We still have to figure out how to deal with the "Australia problem".

The basic problem is human nature. We all suffer from it and have to deal with it in others. The Greeks pretty much nailed it 2,500 years ago.
05-31-2018, 04:35 AM - 2 Likes   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
With the heart and mind united in a single perfect....... SPHERE"
Well, there’s another problem. I seem to recall the shape being described as an oblate spheroid, of which I suppose the extreme form is a disc. We’re back to Terry Pratchett...
05-31-2018, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
MalleeBoy, Coopers is a product that is made, so it is not a finite resource. Cheerily consume more of it, and the boy's high school that owns 20% of the shares of the brewery will do nicely.

05-31-2018, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #95
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Concept has had strong appeal for thousands of years. Hard to argue with history.

'Use your heart, not your head'. 'The mind can deceive, the heart is true'. 'Use the Force, Luke'.
What next? "Star Wars was all made up by George Lucas"??!
05-31-2018, 04:59 AM - 2 Likes   #96
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
Apparently Brimstone Head on Fogo Island is one of the 4 corners of the earth - according to the Flat Earth Society. I've done a lot of boating in those waters but have never gone over the edge. Couldn't even find the edge:-) The notion does make the area a tourist curiosity though.....Fact and fiction collide at flat Earth museum on Fogo Island | The Star
I got a bit confused at first as I couldn't see the logic of the island of Fogo in Cape Verde being a corner of the world. Discovering that it was in Canadia makes so much more sense.
05-31-2018, 05:01 AM - 2 Likes   #97
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Well, if it's flat, I think there are only two questions that really matter. How thick is it and what's on the other side?
The answer to your first question would be "not half as thick as a flat-earther".

05-31-2018, 05:02 AM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is getting too deep. We still have to figure out how to deal with the "Australia problem"

You think this is too deep? I think the fundamental issue here is that flat earthers cherry pick too much and and raise confirmation bias to such an art they are more obsessed with defending the glittering vision of what they have created than accept the simple and obvious truth. It is important to note that none of the flat earth conspiracy theorists have provided a solid proof that has withstood peer reviewed academic scrutiny.

One belief among flat earth followers is that the sun isn't 1 AU from earth, they think it is a small sphere on a circular orbit above the plane of earth at an altitude of few thousand kilometers. However, if the Sun was that close, orbiting within our atmosphere...shouldn't we be able to hear it? The sun is a continuously exploding hydrogen bomb: it produces EM radiation from radio frequencies to gamma, it would also produce a tremendous amount of sonic energy too.

They also think the moon is internally illuminating, and also orbits above the plane of earth at a distance of only a few kilometers, and like the sun the moon is pretty small. However we know the sun and moon affect the tides and the oceans are very large bodies of water, both celestial bodies would have to have densities far beyond any known material to affect large bodies of water in such a manner if they were so physically compact.

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-31-2018 at 05:11 AM.
05-31-2018, 05:21 AM - 2 Likes   #99
Veteran Member

This just in:
Flat Earthers are now saying there is no North Pole and Santa Claus is portrayed by various retired old men.

I could go along with the Australia thing, but this is crazy talk.
05-31-2018, 05:47 AM   #100
Pentaxian

Intelligentsia tend not to do well in emergencies.
You might be stereotyping here.
05-31-2018, 05:57 AM - 2 Likes   #101
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photography is all a hoax. Every photograph you see is not real. Just a bunch of computer generated pixels put together by NASA to make us believe we are taking pictures of what we see. It's true.
05-31-2018, 06:10 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
One belief among flat earth followers is that the sun isn't 1 AU from earth
Isn't that the definition of 1 AU: the mean distance to the sun from the earth?
Correct me if I'm wrong.
05-31-2018, 06:10 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Photography is all a hoax. Every photograph you see is not real. Just a bunch of computer generated pixels put together by NASA to make us believe we are taking pictures of what we see. It's true.
I'll but that for my K-50, there seems to be lots of electrical stuffs in there, but what about my K1000, how does it make photographs?
05-31-2018, 06:14 AM - 2 Likes   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I'll but that for my K-50, there seems to be lots of electrical stuffs in there, but what about my K1000, how does it make photographs?
Little fairies inside drawing pictures.

Because they exist mainly in the anti-earth, for them light is dark and dark is light, causing negative images.
05-31-2018, 06:15 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Little fairies inside drawing pictures.
Makes perfect sense! Thanks for explaining to a clueless guy Norm!