Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Any laptop LCD screen experts here?

Hi
Just bought a retired laptop from work. They retired it coz half the time moving things on screen leave random pixel streaks behind the movements (same on a plugged-in monitor & it's absolutely unlike a mouse pointer trail as the streaks stay on until overwritten). I bought it coz it sports a hi-res 1600x1200 screen; half the time that it works it's wonderful for viewing/editing photos -- same on-screen size but drawn with twice the number of pixels; the difference is amazing.

I'm wracking my brain why the fault is intermittent. Not due to heat as it can happen right from switching on from cold, then goes away for 15 minutes, then happens again. Any suggestions anyone? thanks.

09-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On the off chance that it's a software problem , have you reformatted the machine and installed a clean copy of windows and all the most recent drivers?

Pat
09-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

If it happens on an external monitor too, that suggests to me its not the LCD itself, but perhaps something on the video card, or video portion of the MB if the PC does not have a standalone video card. It could be the inverter too, but I'm not sure if that would effect the 2nd monitor or not. Perhaps someone else might know that.

Solution? Not sure. Which laptop? I've taken apart a laptop before, it can be done, but its not the easiest. So many tiny pieces once inside....if you do decide to open her up, make good notes as to what screws go where....they are often same size, but different lengths. Maybe even a picture or two as you get into it would help.

I'll keep my eye on this thread and maybe can help more.

Mark
09-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Would help if you posted a pic so we can see wath the error looks like. One from Print screen(and dump into a photo program) and one taken with a camera.

09-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

As you and others have mentioned happens on both LCD and External monitor sure sounds like a software issue - altough it could be the video card.

Good suggestions - nuke it all and reinstall OS only (if you have CD's / DVD's) See if it continues. Then you can install program at a time see if program is to blame

If that is not feasible - maybe lower the resolution one down at time until you hit VGA mode - see if happens at all resolutions.

Run a chkdsk / defrag see if there are any bad sectors

Download a video card tester (google) see if the card test reports any issues.

Try removing and re-installing Video driver

Try and remove existing video driver and installing a new (download from Video Card Web Site) video driver (newest) or try some of the older ones.

If it is acsessible open the laptop up and re-seat the video card (if there is a dedicated one as oppossed to on-board)

Good Luck ....................dy
09-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wooowwww ... I couldn't believe so many responses so quickly

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I'm afraid it's not due to software or video driver as I have done a complete re-install back to factory state.

Yes I'm inclined to think it's the built-in video card, more specifically the video memory chips not refreshing fast enough. Being an upmarket model it has dedicated video memory rather than sharing with main so made no difference when I tried swapping the main RAM sticks.

And I'm too scared to open up the case to check the video card, hic... hic...
Will see if I can get a screen dump tomorrow, already past bedtime in Aus now.
Oh btw ... it's a 4-yr old Toshiba Tecra S1.

Last edited by Kguru; 09-10-2008 at 10:17 AM.
09-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Google "Toshiba Tecra S1 video corruption"

Seems from the results that there was a recall from Toshiba for faulty memory, and there are a few results from people with the same problem as yours so it's not isolated.

Pat

09-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Hi
Just bought a retired laptop from work. They retired it coz half the time moving things on screen leave random pixel streaks behind the movements (same on a plugged-in monitor & it's absolutely unlike a mouse pointer trail as the streaks stay on until overwritten).
That sounds very much like a faulty GPU. I've seen similar things on another laptop with a similar model GPU. Things to try involve obtaining the very latest driver available for that GPU, and also trying older drivers than the provided one.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
And I'm too scared to open up the case to check the video card, hic... hic...
There isn't much to see - the GPU, and it's RAM are soldered onto the motherboard - replacing it is a motherboard replacement.
09-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Final update on this:

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Searches reveal other owners have experienced the exact same problem, all pointing to a m/board replacement which isn't a viable solution (board & labour today would cost almost as much as a discounted new laptop).

There were some hints it could be due to the 3D-rendering part of the GPU. Now only if I can find a new driver that allows bypassing these faulty bits ... better get on with the search.
09-13-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can you post a photo of it?

I'm an IT guy at work, so I've seen my share of all kinds of laptop issues.

From what you're saying it could very well be hardware, but I have to ask - does it get better/worse/stay the same when you wiggle the display of the laptop?