Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2018, 06:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Some incredibly FAST vehicles!

It didn't turn out quite like I thought it would. The wet track didn't help matters any!

06-01-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That was a good video to watch!
Indeed those machines can go fast !
06-01-2018, 07:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Power to weight is what gives the super bikes an advantage.

I would really like to see this redone during a dry day and for the fun of it, include a F1 car and an Indy car.
06-01-2018, 07:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Power to weight is what gives the super bikes an advantage.

I would really like to see this redone during a dry day and for the fun of it, include a F1 car and an Indy car.

Yep, you bet, Dave. If it were a winding course, I'd think that the F1 car would win, hands down. The bikes are incredibly fast with acceleration that is out of this world, but they can't corner like the F1's. The G forces in the 4-wheel vehicles are mind numbing!

06-01-2018, 08:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Race cars are often handicapped by the rules of the series. The rallycross car was my pick, because traction, but he was hurt by gearing.

An old example of this was a contest in 1987 set up by Road & Track magazine. They invited the Holbert Porsche 962 and the Hendrick Motorsports NASCAR Monte Carlo to a giant track (TRC in Ohio?) to see who had the highest top speed. The 962 was a dominant car in its series, just off back to back championships, and a Porsche. They put on some parts meant for LeMans and it went 227mph. The Hendrick team built an engine just for the event, lowered the car, taped it off, threw everything at it and went (I think) 242mph. The 962 body was meant for road racing and had a lot of downforce, therefore drag. The (sort of) Monte Carlo was easier to adapt to top speed. Both cars were meant for something else. The very same 962 went on to win the 24 hours of Daytona again, the only time a car has won back to back.
06-02-2018, 07:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Race cars are often handicapped by the rules of the series. The rallycross car was my pick, because traction, but he was hurt by gearing.

An old example of this was a contest in 1987 set up by Road & Track magazine. They invited the Holbert Porsche 962 and the Hendrick Motorsports NASCAR Monte Carlo to a giant track (TRC in Ohio?) to see who had the highest top speed. The 962 was a dominant car in its series, just off back to back championships, and a Porsche. They put on some parts meant for LeMans and it went 227mph. The Hendrick team built an engine just for the event, lowered the car, taped it off, threw everything at it and went (I think) 242mph. The 962 body was meant for road racing and had a lot of downforce, therefore drag. The (sort of) Monte Carlo was easier to adapt to top speed. Both cars were meant for something else. The very same 962 went on to win the 24 hours of Daytona again, the only time a car has won back to back.

Dave, IIRC, there is a YouTube video that shows that very race! Lots of interesting stuff on there about F1's and other super cars.
06-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote

I remember that magazine test. The Monte Carlo..even with tape, etc...was using essentially a modified street car body and wasn't exactly a streamliner...the Porsche 962 was very low to the ground and a very low production competition car. The Porsche as a sports racing car at tracks like LeMans has set ups to run at very high speeds down the Mulsanne straight which was about 6 kms long. LeMans had this 6 km. long straight before it was reduced in 1990 (before the test) to reduce accidents at high speed. Both cars were capable of high speed and required stability..which includes designed in downforce. The Porsce 962 was set up for roadracing...but also a prime requirement is a high top speed especially to cope with the at the time, LeMans course.

I'm pretty sure the NASCAR car was ...the...Hendricks Motorsports racer which was driven by NASCAR racer Tim Richmond in the regular NASCAR series. It was essentially the car they used in that year's racing series.

The Chevy's modified engine was based on the Chevy 350 V8...which has been used in everyday vehicles that include school buses, Corvettes, dump trucks, tow trucks, farm trucks, production cars, Disney rail car rides, etc and has been modified as a very successful race car engine in everything from drag race cars, sports racing cars, competitive 4 WD jeeps, etc...you name it...the Chevy small block V8 has done it and has been in production for more than 50 years and produced in the millions. Not a bad record . An engine that seems to be able to do it all...with different modifications for specific purpose.