Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-03-2018, 01:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Top fuel acceleration put into perspective

A bunch of us guys were discussing the subject of G forces felt during some of the Blue Angels performances. This led to the question of G forces endured by the astronauts during blast off into space. As things like this usually go, I explored the subject a little more and came up with this information on this site.... about G forces felt by Top Fuel Dragsters.

I'm no mechanical genius, but if this information is correct, it's absolutely MIND BLOWING!

Don Long Builds The Old Master

06-03-2018, 03:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am pretty certain that most if not all those facts are correct.
The one I think is funny is the top RPMs is listed at 9500 RPM. Like that is a high number. If I am not mistaken, the F1 cars when they were running the V10 and 12's were turning somewhere around 12 to 13 thousand RPMs when wide open. The one time I got to see F1 cars in person live is the only time I have ever bought ear plugs at a race track.
06-03-2018, 04:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
The one I think is funny is the top RPMs is listed at 9500 RPM. Like that is a high number. If I am not mistaken, the F1 cars when they were running the V10 and 12's were turning somewhere around 12 to 13 thousand RPMs when wide open. The one time I got to see F1 cars in person live is the only time I have ever bought ear plugs at a race track.

Dave, I read somewhere recently where the F1 cars have actually achieved 22,000 RPM!
06-03-2018, 05:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Dave, I read somewhere recently where the F1 cars have actually achieved 22,000 RPM!
I believe that that is correct.
My 1982 750 Honda super-sport red-lined at 10k rpm.

06-03-2018, 05:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
That's very possible. I haven't kept up with what's happening in F1 in a few years. I just know that when the F1 cars ran at Indy, coming out of the road course and onto the oval on the south side of the track, the drivers were hitting 5th, 6th, and 7th gears going into what is turn one of the oval. I was in the stands on the outside of the track and I had to go get some ear plugs because the cars were so loud. I think that was when they were hitting 12 and 13 thousand.

If they are hitting 22000, I would hate to be around them because I don't think ear plugs would be enough.

---------- Post added 06-03-18 at 08:51 PM ----------

Here is something else an F1 car can do;

06-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
It is torque in first and then they are right in the powerband all the way to the finish line. Pretty interesting that when running carburetors they had to change the way fuel was delivered because the rear cylinders ended up way too rich because the G forces pushed the fuel back while starving the front cylinders. Quite the situation when 1/4 of your V-8 is running so lean it will detonate and 1/4 running so rich as to foul the plugs. with half being closer to the desired mixture.
06-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have been at a drag strip about 150 feet away from a running Top Fuel Dragster . I wore ear plugs, but they do nothing to protect me from the vibration that goes right through my body's core. The sound, noise level and vibration felt through your body is like nothing else I've experienced. It's ok...but not something I would want to experience very much at all.

06-03-2018, 08:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have been at a drag strip about 150 feet away from a running Top Fuel Dragster . I wore ear plugs, but they do nothing to protect me from the vibration that goes right through my body's core. The sound, noise level and vibration felt through your body is like nothing else I've experienced. It's ok...but not something I would want to experience very much at all.
I would love to take a run in a two seat version, just to say I had.
Watching, I think ear plugs and ear muffs, like when I go shooting might be a bit better.
06-03-2018, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I would love to take a run in a two seat version, just to say I had.
Watching, I think ear plugs and ear muffs, like when I go shooting might be a bit better.
That would be something else ! I wouldn't mind trying that. The only vehicle I've run at a drag strip myself was my '69 VW Beetle 1500cc in 1970. Long time ago. My best time was 68.5 mph @ 19.4 seconds...certainly not in Corvette territory ....but not too bad for an old V-Dub.

Another experience I would like to try out would be the BMW Ring Taxi at the Nurburgring track in Germany.

http://https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=r...w5z9iuPNC_4Cuv