Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2018, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Soft Images

We're on the road and have stopped at a couple of museums – specifically The Art Institute of Chicago and Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.
Well, what I saw was disturbing. Soft images. Lack of sharpness. Just not very good I.Q.

How do these things get into museums?

06-04-2018, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Impressionist art?
06-05-2018, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

In some cases, it's intentional and part of the photographer's style. In others, it's down to the limitations of whatever equipment was available at the time (we're spoiled rotten with today's super-sharp lenses and high-resolution sensors). And then, in some cases, the photographer simply cared more about the scene than outright sharpness.

Stephen Shore used compact 35mm film cameras, large format, digital "bridge" and finally an iPhone. The quality varies with the equipment he used, but the subject matter, story-telling, composition and lighting were always top notch...
06-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
In some cases, it's intentional and part of the photographer's style. In others, it's down to the limitations of whatever equipment was available at the time (we're spoiled rotten with today's super-sharp lenses and high-resolution sensors). And then, in some cases, the photographer simply cared more about the scene than outright sharpness.
BigMackCam - These were paintings – not photos. I was trying to be tongue-in-cheek or sarcastic (apparently I was neither) as a bit of commentary.

I often find we have folks on our forum who seem to be so focused on pixel sharpness that they do not look at the whole image. This is me trying to say that sharpness is but one small part of an image and often not all that important.

06-05-2018, 08:40 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
BigMackCam - These were paintings – not photos. I was trying to be tongue-in-cheek or sarcastic (apparently I was neither) as a bit of commentary.

I often find we have folks on our forum who seem to be so focused on pixel sharpness that they do not look at the whole image. This is me trying to say that sharpness is but one small part of an image and often not all that important.
LOL

I was up very late last night, Don, and when I posted my reply this morning, I still hadn't processed my first cup of coffee I get it now
06-05-2018, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
LOL

I was up very late last night, Don, and when I posted my reply this morning, I still hadn't processed my first cup of coffee I get it now
I hope you are talking about the caffeine kick instead of the later part of coffee processing.
06-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I am not a huge fan of many artists but I love the look Claude Monet got with soft edges but beautifully showing the light. Especially in his Mediterranean period. But hey, YMMV!

06-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I am not a huge fan of many artists but I love the look Claude Monet got with soft edges but beautifully showing the light. Especially in his Mediterranean period. But hey, YMMV!
SSGGeezer – I totally agree.
And Monet is not alone – he is but one of many. If one really wants to understand light and how it impacts an image, a stroll through the local art gallery is always instructive.
06-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Here in the Adirondacks, there is often fog in the mornings and the sunlight breaking through can be stunning. It can be difficult to capture with the camera (at least for me) and often lasts only a few moments but some days are so beautiful you never forget them. The soft light theme has been a favorite of painters for a long time.
06-13-2018, 06:25 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I think that Cezanne guy has to trade up from his kit lens ... it's not working for him.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX100M3  Photo 
06-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, I think that Cezanne guy has to trade up from his kit lens ... it's not working for him.
I see a Kangaroo in the bottom right corner. Was that guy an Aussie?
06-13-2018, 06:57 PM - 5 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
it's not working for him.
If I recall correctly, I think that he did that one during his low-pixel period, using a pre-release version of his painting kit. I also remember reading that he didn't notice that one of his easels had a loose leg, and the wobble introduced a lot of blur. Yet, the colours and micro-contrast are remarkable, no?

Didn't he receive a poor grade from the then-popular Definitive Painting Review committee? Something about the previous painting he did was much nicer?

Last edited by c.a.m; 06-13-2018 at 07:04 PM.
06-13-2018, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I see a Kangaroo in the bottom right corner. Was that guy an Aussie?
(Laughs). When I look up at the 'constellations', I think those Greek astronomers must have been gathering some pretty good mushrooms during the day.
06-13-2018, 07:08 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
If I recall correctly, I think that he did that one during his low-pixel period, using a pre-release version of his painting kit. I also remember reading that he didn't notice that one of his easels had a loose leg, and the wobble introduced a lot of blur. Yet, the colours and micro-contrast are remarkable, no?

Didn't he receive a poor grade from the then-popular Definitive Painting Review committee? Something about the previous painting he did was much nicer?
Wish I could give multiple likes for that.

Yes, a little pop up ad at DPR says they have the Picasso IIIR on special this month ... I must check it out, even thought the portraits taken with it tend to have more than two eyes.
06-15-2018, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I hear that Paintbrush Forums is giving away some top-of-the range canvases and brushes at the end of the month, even though everyone knows that Paintbrushes are doomed. At least that's what the Crayon users say.