Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Possible DIY portable Power Supply for Studio Strobes - ADVICE NEEDED

I need some advise and input from the electronic wizards on the board.

I recently purchased a set of Alien Bee SB800 studio strobes. Due to the cost I passed on their portable power packs ($299 each for a pack that powers 1 strobe).

I had a thought (unusual but it does happen from time to time) that I might be able to use my portable power supply/car starter (similar to the Sears DieHard Portable Power 750) and AC Power inverter (similar to the Sears DieHard 750-watt DC to AC Power Inverter)

I've used the AC Inverter to power constant draw devices like my laptop or a small television without any apparent differences from "out of the wall" power. As the Alien Bees work on plain 110 volt AC power on the face of it this should work, but I wonder if there are any issues that would make it not work, or worse damage a strobe or the powerpack or inverter. The AC power simply charges the capacitors in the flash unit but I am wondering if the recharge sequence might overload something.

I'm sure this would not work as well as a purpose built power supply but is there any reason it wouldnt work in a pinch for a short shoot? Any thoughts? Advise? Dire Warnings?

Last edited by MRRiley; 09-11-2008 at 05:41 PM.
09-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I have no idea of the answers to you questions, but I saw this a while back, and maybe it will help....

YouTube - Homemade Vegabond Inverter Portable Power Source
09-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Power inverter's are pretty much disposable. You are killing them just by using them and they have a finite life span. Depending on the quality, they are a tad more or less durable than your avergae UPS for a computer.

You don't want to be pushing the power draw near the rated limit for maximum lifespan of the inverter. And you want to avoid sustained high draw. For example, operating a contractor's table saw off one isn't a particularly good idea.

You also want to go witha deep cycle battery.

If strobes are a high transient draw, low constant draw item that is not particularly worried about clean power (do they ahve a timing circuit in them?), then they would be a good fit.

Like the youtube vid, I'd be concerned about what a ground does for them as it can be VERY bad to wind up with ground issues with people and cables. (Nothing like a mic stand that is hot because the ground is screwed up. Makes singers cranky.)
09-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe this might be what you want?

A Portable Power Box for Photographers

09-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, based on the video (thanks Ben) and the toolbox buildout (thanks Clicker). I think I am out of luck for what I have on hand. Both of those stress using a pure sine wave inverter (which my cheapo one isn't) and I don't want to risk damage to my lights. Unfortunately too, both DIYs run upwards of $200-250. The real thing from Alien Bee is just $299 so I will just pony up the extra $50-100. Better that than risk the lights on my dubious DIY electronics skills.

Thanks for the references. They really helped me figure this out.