Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 65 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2018, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your point is well-taken.

I have been on both ends of this issue – I have not been thanked, but I must admit there are times I have neglected to express my gratitude. For me it may be just carelessness, but it is never intentional.

But let me take a moment here to thank the entire Pentax Forums community.

I have not participated in any other forum or community that is as helpful or as positive as this one. Yes, there are the few that seem to enjoy giving shots (I think "snarky" is the current term) at almost every opportunity. But they are a very small minority. As a whole we are a very positive, helpful, and, yes, grateful group.

So, thank you Pentax Forums for my daily visit with Pentaxians around the world.

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
And as Mike says above, I've started a habit of liking posts that are helpful, after all it takes no effort or time.
Now I have a question, and, lest I forget, will give my thanks in advance: What is "liking?" I have been around for 3-1/2 years, but I do not really know about this. I suspect I have been leery of "likes" because of that Facebook thingie and just never bothered.

06-22-2018, 08:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Now I have a question, and, lest I forget, will give my thanks in advance: What is "liking?" I have been around for 3-1/2 years, but I do not really know about this. I suspect I have been leery of "likes" because of that Facebook thingie and just never bothered.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not...

There's a wee thumbs up button at the bottom left of a regular post, top right in a post your photos thread. By pressing this you give the user a 'like', at the end of the day it means nothing, but many construe the concept of getting a like akin to receiving thanks.
06-22-2018, 08:39 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

In the context of this forum it’s the little thumbs up icon on every post except your own.

---------- Post added 06-22-18 at 09:39 PM ----------

There's a wee thumbs up button at the bottom left of a regular post, top right in a post your photos thread. By pressing this you give the user a 'like', at the end of the day it means nothing, but many construe the concept of getting a like akin to receiving thanks.
You beat me to it.
06-23-2018, 06:41 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bertwert & Wheatfield

Thank you!

I was not being sarcastic. I was being 75!

Don

06-23-2018, 06:53 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Bertwert & Wheatfield

Thank you!

I was not being sarcastic. I was being 75!

Don
No problem, the made me think you were being sarcastic.
06-23-2018, 09:24 AM - 4 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No problem, the made me think you were being sarcastic.
Yeah, I probably used the wrong yellow face. Another reason this is as close as I get to social media.
07-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I have to say that when I post an image that I think is good enough to share, it gets frustrating that it can get dozens (or even hundreds) of views but no comments. Perhaps it's not to everyones taste, but in this case the few responses I do get are valued even more as they have obviously felt that what was presented was worth taking their time to respond to.

Like the thank you comments, perhaps some people are more inclined to take the time.

07-20-2018, 04:54 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
I have to say that when I post an image that I think is good enough to share, it gets frustrating that it can get dozens (or even hundreds) of views but no comments.
I'm always interested in what the individual's motive is for sharing images (especially as I very rarely post my own).

Is it simply to please others? If so, no likes or comments are necessary... the act of sharing is enough, right? Appreciation is nice, but not required...

Is it to receive recognition or praise? If so, the photo has to be good enough - and that's a big ask, given the quality of many photos here and the individual tastes of our extremely broad membership...

Is it to receive constructive critique? If so, the photo needs to be presented with a clear and specific request for feedback...

Is it to receive encouragement, perhaps as an incentive to continue along the same lines and improve? If so, as with constructive technique, that needs to be clearly stated.

These are my personal opinions, of course - not statements of fact

As I mentioned, I tend not to post many of my own photos - actually very, very few of them. On the rare occasions that I do, it's purely because I feel that others (perhaps only a minority) might enjoy them or find some value in them, and I don't expect likes or comments (though both are, of course, welcome and appreciated). I'm never disappointed if none, or few, are received.

I hope no-one here takes this as criticism... I love that members can and do post photos, and I do look at some of them... though, without any specific requests, I can only make generally positive comments, or none at all
07-20-2018, 05:21 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ll add to my prior post that I have received over 2,000 Likes since I’ve been a member, and those are all on comments. I don’t post images. I have tended to Quote and comment in the thread, but since this post I’ve paid a lot more attention to giving Likes. I have no idea whether the Poster whose Post i ‘Liked’ Knows I did, but I get a notification when one of my comments receives one.

As I was typing this, someone upthread Liked my prior comment. There is some kind of serendipity going on here.
07-20-2018, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’ll add to my prior post that I have received over 2,000 Likes since I’ve been a member, and those are all on comments. I don’t post images. I have tended to Quote and comment in the thread, but since this post I’ve paid a lot more attention to giving Likes. I have no idea whether the Poster whose Post i ‘Liked’ Knows I did, but I get a notification when one of my comments receives one.
My fellow moderator and friend @pjv (Pete) introduced me to (and led by example on) the use of "Likes" here on PentaxForums. As a devout non-social-media-user, it was new to me and I originally thought it to be a shallow thing. But I've found it to be an invaluable way of recognising others' photos / insight / knowledge / humour etc., subtly agreeing (without posting) with a member's opinion, or underlining my agreement before adding a post of my own. I confess that I often like a post without adding further commentary, so I do hope the OPs see that I've done so...
07-20-2018, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm always interested in what the individual's motive is for sharing images (especially as I very rarely post my own).

Is it simply to please others? If so, no likes or comments are necessary... the act of sharing is enough, right? Appreciation is nice, but not required...

Is it to receive recognition or praise? If so, the photo has to be good enough - and that's a big ask, given the quality of many photos here and the individual tastes of our extremely broad membership...

Is it to receive constructive critique? If so, the photo needs to be presented with a clear and specific request for feedback...

Is it to receive encouragement, perhaps as an incentive to continue along the same lines and improve? If so, as with constructive technique, that needs to be clearly stated.
I agree with some of what you say, but perhaps for me personally I was brought up never to demand praise for everything I've done so I don't go out of the way to specifically request it. It's the same with constructive criticism or even encouragement, I put my images out there thinking "I like this one, others may like it or be able to point out where it could be improved, or in fact see this and think that they could try something similar".

Any comments are gratefully received, not getting any is disheartening but for me I would not stipulate what I expect from others. Saying "please" and "thank you" is good manners, but if someone is moved to offer more then I have obviously raised the desire in them to make the effort. For some people this point of deciding to make the effort to reply is lower than others.
07-21-2018, 03:05 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm always interested in what the individual's motive is for sharing images.

I come here mostly to look at photos, so posting my own stuff just seems like hopefully giving something back for the pleasure that I get from other people's work. When I "like" a photo it means that I've seen something that has made me stop and look and think about the way that person has responded to what they've seen in their world. I should probably make the effort to tell them that in a comment more often, rather than just hitting the like button.

But didn't we used to have the option to add a short comment when we gave a like to someone? At least that way we could give them some sort of idea about what we'd enjoyed about the photo. That feature seems to have gone, and I'd really like to have it back.
07-21-2018, 03:11 AM - 3 Likes   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
I have to say that when I post an image that I think is good enough to share, it gets frustrating that it can get dozens (or even hundreds) of views but no comments. Perhaps it's not to everyones taste, but in this case the few responses I do get are valued even more as they have obviously felt that what was presented was worth taking their time to respond to.

Like the thank you comments, perhaps some people are more inclined to take the time.
I tend to click the like button more than I give specific comments. I just can't always think of something to say and "Thanks for Sharing" feels pretty lame, but maybe that's all that most folks are looking for.

These are my personal opinions, of course - not statements of fact

As I mentioned, I tend not to post many of my own photos - actually very, very few of them. On the rare occasions that I do, it's purely because I feel that others (perhaps only a minority) might enjoy them or find some value in them, and I don't expect likes or comments (though both are, of course, welcome and appreciated). I'm never disappointed if none, or few, are received.

I hope no-one here takes this as criticism... I love that members can and do post photos, and I do look at some of them... though, without any specific requests, I can only make generally positive comments, or none at all
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

As I was typing this, someone upthread Liked my prior comment. There is some kind of serendipity going on here.
For me, posting photos is a little way of paying back the Forum. Showing what the lenses and gear I have can do, maybe giving a little glimpse of life here in this corner of Virginia that could be very different from what (the non-existant) folks down under experience, just as the images from Europe and Asia give me a peek into a different part of this world. I suppose too, my growth as a photographer can be seen (or lack there of).

Most of all, I hope that I can add a tone of moderation and hopefulness. The world is a bright and beautiful place. Pentax makes great gear and we are among friends. I would hope that people can come away from their time on the Forums feeling just a little more positive (and not just positive that Pentax is going bankrupt).
07-21-2018, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #29
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
That feature seems to have gone, and I'd really like to have it back.
Hi Dave, if you RIGHT click on the " like " symbol instead of LEFT click, you have the option to open it, where the text box appears for you to put a comment as in the past.
07-21-2018, 03:35 AM   #30
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
How true... How true... While I don't charge for advice
What's the going rate for good advice?

Just so I know how much to downgrade that figure by... for my inane drivel of a responses.