Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
graphicgr8s

Hurricane Ike

Just wanted to let our friends in Texas know we are thinking and praying for them during and after Hurricane Ike. May you all be safe.

George

09-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Just wanted to let our friends in Texas know we are thinking and praying for them during and after Hurricane Ike. May you all be safe.

George
George, thanks for the kind thoughts. We're currently evacuated to Austin (from the Freeport area), and looking forward to returning to normal - although that me be awhile.

Jer
09-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hope you're recording the situation?
09-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Luck Jer. Hope its all passed without too much damage.

09-13-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

God speed Jer - my Sister in Katy made out ok thank God - Her Banana Tree was damaged , Power is out , other than that no other damage to speak of. Prayers and thoughts are with you and yours.
09-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Ditto everybody else's sentiments.

I was out and about today and happened to see various electric company and tree service trucks in covoys headed north on I-75 (in the Gainesville/Ocala, FL area) on their way to Texas to help restore power and clean up. I got such a good feeling from seeing that that I had to (very) momentarily take my hands off the wheel and give them my own little private round of applause on a couple of ocassions.

For those of you in Texas (or who love somebody in Texas), help is on the way!

Heather
09-13-2008, 11:31 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Looks like Tracey from here.

09-14-2008, 04:45 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Good Luck Jer. Hope its all passed without too much damage.
Thanks much, my friend. A friend of my daughter looked our house over and so no damage other than branches covering the yard - so we're hopeful. At least it didn't flood - our real concern.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
God speed Jer - my Sister in Katy made out ok thank God - Her Banana Tree was damaged , Power is out , other than that no other damage to speak of. Prayers and thoughts are with you and yours.
Appreciate it Dave. There are reports on a Houston TV station blog that our marina in Kemah took the storm well - so maybe even our boat made it. May be a while before we get power in Kemah or Lake Jackson.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Ditto everybody else's sentiments.

I was out and about today and happened to see various electric company and tree service trucks in covoys headed north on I-75 (in the Gainesville/Ocala, FL area) on their way to Texas to help restore power and clean up. I got such a good feeling from seeing that that I had to (very) momentarily take my hands off the wheel and give them my own little private round of applause on a couple of ocassions.

For those of you in Texas (or who love somebody in Texas), help is on the way!

Heather
Thanks, Heather. Glad to hear that news.

Jer
09-14-2008, 05:29 AM   #9
Banned

As a Texan born and raised, and with my brother still living in Texas (Hunstville) I wish all of you fellow Texans the best of luck and godspeed.
09-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good luck to all your friends and neighbors. I know how it is.
09-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #11

I wish you and all those who evacuated the best in being able to return home as soon as possible Sailor.
09-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
As a Texan born and raised, and with my brother still living in Texas (Hunstville) I wish all of you fellow Texans the best of luck and godspeed.
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Good luck to all your friends and neighbors. I know how it is.
QuoteOriginally posted by lost Quote
I wish you and all those who evacuated the best in being able to return home as soon as possible Sailor.
Thanks for the good thoughts, folks. I'm one of the fortunate people - All members of my family were safely far away when the storm came ashore; we have the resources to stay comfortably in a hotel here in Austin until the lights come on at home and we're well insured (although, it sounds as if Lake Jackson suffered minimal structural damage and our marina reportedly came through with no substantial damage).

Jer
09-14-2008, 02:14 PM   #13
Banned

that great to hear Sailor. I hope you can return home soon.
09-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Another Ike Refugee here

We (my wife, kids, and I) seem to have come through Ike just fine and very fortunate. We lost some food in the fridge and one fence board. Like most around here were without power. My mother lives(ed) in Galveston and has lost everything. We've heard eyewitnesses say that her aprtment has 3 feet of water. We have her and that's what's important. even she is fortunate in that she is retired and doesn't have to worry about trying to go back to a job or family to care for. She was intending on moving from the island, just not quite yet.

We've been in College Station since the day after the storm. My wife has most of her family here. Her parents are both retired and on an extended trip up north and we are staying in their very nice and large house. My mother is with us. We will be here until we have to return to our jobs and the schools reopen.

There are many people from all over the country here wrking their tails off to help our area return to a somewhat, if not changed, normal lives and to them we offer our deepest thanks.

Our thoughts and prayers go to those that fared much worse than us. We have been very lucky.
09-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
We (my wife, kids, and I) seem to have come through Ike just fine and very fortunate. We lost some food in the fridge and one fence board. Like most around here were without power. My mother lives(ed) in Galveston and has lost everything. We've heard eyewitnesses say that her aprtment has 3 feet of water. We have her and that's what's important. even she is fortunate in that she is retired and doesn't have to worry about trying to go back to a job or family to care for. She was intending on moving from the island, just not quite yet.

We've been in College Station since the day after the storm. My wife has most of her family here. Her parents are both retired and on an extended trip up north and we are staying in their very nice and large house. My mother is with us. We will be here until we have to return to our jobs and the schools reopen.

There are many people from all over the country here wrking their tails off to help our area return to a somewhat, if not changed, normal lives and to them we offer our deepest thanks.

Our thoughts and prayers go to those that fared much worse than us. We have been very lucky.
Glad you and you're family came through OK. This was a big storm and it'll take us a while to recover.

We still don't have power at our undamaged house in Lake Jackson; our marina in Kemah came out miraculously unscathed. In fact, I just visited their website and note the real time camera is broadcasting - apparently, the marina even has power.

I'm so sorry about your mom's losses - but at least you all are safe.

Jer