Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2018, 06:53 AM - 9 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

A Remarkable Act of Kindness

Almost 40 years ago,my little blue-eyed, blond-haired five-year-old daughter was diagnosed with leukemia. Her mother and I had been divorced for about a year and she had taken up with another man.There had been some very harsh words between us that had almost come to blowson several occasions, as is sometimes the case in these situations.

One day I got a call from him and he said he wanted to meet me after I got off work from my construction job. He wanted to meet at a local pub and I agreed,not having a clue what was in the offing, although I strongly suspected a fight might be on the menu.

I met him in the parking lot and he suggested we go inside and get a pitcher of beer. It kinda' surprised me, but I agreed and as we sat and drank our beer I began to see a side of him I hadn't seen before.

After we had almost finished the pitcher and were feeling it's glow, he reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a small envelope. He put it on the table, pushed it toward me and said, "I think this is something you should ave."

My daughter had had radiation and chemotherapy and was losing her hair at an alarming rate. My ex-wife decided that rather than let our daughter's hair fall out gradually, she would just cut it off all at once.

I looked in the envelope and much to my surprise, it contained a lock of my daughter’s flaxen blonde hair!
He had secretly saved it, tied a pink ribbon around it and placed it in the envelope. In an uncommon act of kindness, he arranged our meeting and gave it to me.

So, Joe Brennan, wherever you are, I'll never forget you…. your compassion and your amazing act of human kindness during some very troubled times.

Note: My daughter survived her ordeal with leukemia, thanks to the wonderful doctors and nurses at Stanford Children’s Hospital in Stanford, California! As aresult of the chemotherapy and radiation, they told us that she would be infertile, unable to bear children. Well…. they were wrong! Twenty years later, she presented her mother and me with a beautiful, healthy granddaughter! Time has passed and about a year ago, I was blessed with a great grandson, Kieran!

Don't you just LOVE stories with a happy ending?

Attached Images

Last edited by Dewman; 07-02-2018 at 07:02 AM.
07-02-2018, 07:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Holy smokes, mate!!! That actually made me cry as I can relate to the struggle.
Hope your daughter is ok now and kudos to the man.
07-02-2018, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That’s a great story, thanks for sharing. Sometimes we need a story like this to renew our faith in humanity.
07-02-2018, 07:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

no words - but thanks for posting

07-02-2018, 07:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice story,thanks for sharing.
07-02-2018, 07:16 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Very moving, very poignant. Thank you for sharing your story with all of us out here in the ether... it binds us together in our humanness...
07-02-2018, 07:20 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a heartwarming story! That gentleman had such kindness & courage to meet with you, to give you such a gift. That's the type of person we all should strive to be!

P.S. So glad your daughter is well, and now a Mom!

07-02-2018, 07:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow. What an amazing and heart warming story! Thank you for sharing with us. <3
07-02-2018, 08:51 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I might mention that when our daughter was diagnosed with type ALL leukemia, she was given a 40% chance of survival. They were able to get her into remission, but we were told that if she were to fall out of remission, it would basically spell the beginning of the end of her life, with each remission time becoming less and less until there would be nothing they could do to prolong her life.

However, we were told that if she were to stay in remission.... with no issues.... for a period of six years, they would consider her "cured."

Those ensuing six years were the most tenuous, trying times of our lives, basically living on pins and needles every second of every minute of every day.... for six, very long years. Finally, when the waiting was over, oh my! What a celebration we had! It was, without a doubt, the happiest day of my life!

This is my daughter and me.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
  Photo 
07-04-2018, 08:38 AM   #10
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome story Dewey.

Proof that now matter how bad people act, deep inside there is good in all of them.