Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2018, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How many of you are Hams (Amateur Radio Operators)

I just noticed the MOD BigMackCam is an amateur radio operator. I am also fully licensed although I am not now active. I sold most of my equipment in the low solar cycle to help finance my Pentax equipment. Any way, I am still interested in the hobby and it occurred to me that it may be a natural fit for other Pentaxians.
73s KI7KVI

07-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not. But I have several friends who are. If you can get an answer from ZR1TT let me know. His name is Tony .
07-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hold a Canadian Advanced Amateur Radio Operator certificate, but haven't been active for a long time. My early interest and activity -- including building my Heathkit SB-102 -- led to my Electrical Engineering education and profession.

I can still copy Morse Code comfortably at 15 wpm, 18 if I really concentrate, and 20 with plenty of mistakes and missed words.

- Craig
07-02-2018, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep - as you mentioned, Mike, I'm still an occasionally-active amateur radio operator...

I was an avid short-wave listener as a young lad. Many years later, in 1999, I got my Class B (VHF / UHF only) license, followed in the same year by my Class A license for HF which required CW back then (no longer a requirement). I used to be active on VHF and HF SSB and CW, especially QRP CW and PSK31 on HF, but have had several breaks - sometimes quite lengthy. In the last few years I've been active occasionally on HF from home and static mobile (SSB and PSK31). VHF and UHF is pretty much dead around here these days - both simplex and via repeaters.

Very recently I joined the "International Radio Network / The Guild" which links a TeamSpeak server to various VoIP and RF-linked nodes for global digital and analogue communication between VHF / UHF, D-STAR, Fusion, Echolink, Wires-X, AllStar and VoIP (inc. Zello) channels; some of which is for both licensed and non-licensed users, while other (RF linked) channels are for licensed users only.

If anyone here is interested, please visit https://theguildglobal.org/ for more info. It's an excellent and growing not-for-profit ham radio organisation for multi-platform comms and fellowship.

73 DE M0CQG

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-03-2018 at 07:59 AM.
07-02-2018, 05:33 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I can still copy Morse Code comfortably at 15 wpm, 18 if I really concentrate, and 20 with plenty of mistakes and missed words.
I'm about the same, Craig... maybe 12 - 15wpm perfect copy, or 20wpm for a by-the-book QSO with no surprise elements, guesswork very much included
07-02-2018, 06:54 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I thought there would be some hams lurking about here
07-02-2018, 09:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Present.

I have a basic license here in the US. Have not been on the air for a long time but I still have all the stuff.

My dad and his friends are big time into it so many years ago I got my licenses. It's very handy especially since I live near the Gulf Coast, at least close enough to deal with weather issues.

07-03-2018, 07:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not very active, but I am Amateur Extra licensed.
07-03-2018, 07:48 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am Amateur Extra too but haven't used the equipment much lately. Hoping to hold out for the new cycle upswing.
07-03-2018, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I was first licensed in the UK in the early 80's as a Class B operator and was an active member of RAYNET (the UK's volunteer emergency communications network) for several years. I was also a Civil Defense volunteer and used to operate the communications equipment from within the local nuclear operations centre during their monthly drills.

When I emigrated to Canada in 92 I had to sit their exam(s) as there was no reciprocal licensing agreement in place and while I was at it I also qualified as a Class A operator with 25 wpm Morse. Once it became known that I was a former RAYNET member I was invited to set up a local ARES group (ARES is the NA emergency communications group) and I eventually became the County Controller with four local ARES groups under my command. During this time I was also the liaison officer with the local branch of the Canadian Red Cross and was a management level volunteer on the Red Cross Regional Emergency Response Team (RERT) and was prepared to deploy to natural or man-made disasters at a moments notice.

I was active on HF, VHF, UHF and packet radio for many years until ill health forced me out of work and onto a disability pension, which also curtailed all my activity with ARES and the Red Cross. I had to sell my HF equipment to make ends meet but I still have most of my VHF and UHF radios but no longer operate as I am not able to erect any antennas here (health reasons prevent me climbing onto roofs now plus I live in a rented house and the landlord may not appreciate antennas mounted on their property).

Mike, I will have to check out your link as I do use TeamSpeak and have used a similar system in the past which allowed me to hook up to a local repeater in my home town in the UK and talk to old friends.
07-03-2018, 08:54 AM   #11

I have a General Class license here in the US. Started out with my Technician back in 2011 or 2012 to keep up with my 11yr old son and be sure I could help him operate on local VHF/UHF repeaters. My Father-in-law was a ham most of his life, and my son now sports his call sign. That's what got us into the hobby, obviously.

I am intermittently active on local repeaters here around northern Alabama, and I usually captain the Echolink station in October during the Jamboree-On-The-Air with the local Scout District. I need to get more active and learn more about operating HF, as I'm woefully lost on those bands.

Ultimately I'd like to build for portable/emergency operations, and create a backpack rig for treks around the area.

My call sign is KK4DUJ, so if you're on Echolink or I happen to figure out HF, you might hear me.
07-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
... I live in a rented house and the landlord may not appreciate antennas mounted on their property).

Mike, I will have to check out your link as I do use TeamSpeak and have used a similar system in the past which allowed me to hook up to a local repeater in my home town in the UK and talk to old friends.
Larry, in the last few months there has been something of an explosion of interest in so-called "network radio". Nothing new, really, just a well-co-ordinated series of VoIP, RoIP and interlinked-node communications services aimed sometimes at hams, and sometimes both licensed and unlicensed operators. There are even dedicated network radios for sale that are based on mobile phones, but in radio-like format with PTT buttons and other controls - though many people are just using their PCs or smartphones, and they work perfectly well.

It's not a replacement for HF radio, nor even for analogue VHF/UHF really, but even the non-RF portions of it are being moderated and regulated with the expectation that people use proper amateur operating practices. It's better-behaved than my local repeater, in all honesty... A really great way to stay in touch with other hams, and there are many people like you who simply can't put up antennas who are using this as a means of staying involved with the hobby.

"The Guild" organisation's efforts to bring together all of the various digital and analogue platforms via cross-links means that people can still use RF, but without the need for equipment and antennas at home (just a PC, phone, or dedicated "network radio" unit using wi-fi or 3G/4G). Or, they can choose to simply chat with others on a purely VoIP link. I spoke to a lovely gentleman the other evening, a fellow in his late 80s and now in a retirement home. Because of network radio, he can still enjoy his hobby (in a slightly different way), even though he can't have radios and antennas where he lives. I think that's fantastic, and I intend to do whatever I can to support the organisation and promote their cause

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-03-2018 at 01:41 PM.
07-03-2018, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #13

In my work with Scouts, I've found many of them really like the digital modes. They are in many ways simpler than HF, dont rely on propagation conditions being just right, and it allows a new Technician Class operator to talk worldwide immediately. On our last JOTA event day, I had the pleasure of getting Scouts in Huntsville, AL on the air with Scouts in California, Switzerland, and New Zealand. The opportunity to exchange information and hear how Scouting is in other countries, via an Android Tablet, Bluetooth speaker, simple microphone, and using a cell phone for internet connectivity, seemed very interesting and cool to these boys.
07-28-2018, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Say hi to VU2ARV
07-28-2018, 10:30 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I'm not but, but I have thought it would be cool