Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Computer not happy - won't save personalized settings

I have an ASUS M32 desktop PC about 4 years old. It always has worked fine.

Yesterday, when I powered up I got a message that is was repairing the C drive and was about 29% complete. After that finished shortly, the log-in screen was a solid color with the date and time - no photo background. When I logged in, I got the generic Windows background and a message that it could not connect to my account ("often fixed by just re-loggin on"). That did not work. My internet access icon had the "not connected" red triangle. I waited a minute for the router to finish. I went to the MSN "fix my account" section and it eventually informed me the Real-tek PCle GBE Family controller adaptor driver was corrupt or missing or there was a hardware issue. I needed to connect to the internet to fix it....arg!
Used my bare-bones laptop to download the driver, got it on the PC and the Real-Tek install wizard did its thing - at one point I clicked "repair" versus "Install". It actually worked - so I was told. Rebooted, but, not my background, few (not my selected) icons on the toolbar. No bookmarks, no files in the download folder, etc. I fixed everything - desktop, bookmarks, file associations (was not showing extension), some preferences - almost back to normal.

This AM had the all the same issues minus the internet red triangle - I can connect. But its still like a new unpersonalized machine. I imagine the repair vs install option rest everything, but why will it now not save personalizations?

Last edited by SpecialK; 07-04-2018 at 11:58 AM.
07-04-2018, 02:04 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote

Yesterday, when I powered up I got a message that is was repairing the C drive and was about 29% complete. After that finished shortly, the log-in screen was a solid color with the date and time - no photo background. When I logged in, I got the generic Windows background and a message that it could not connect to my account ("often fixed by just re-loggin on"). That did not work. My internet access icon had the "not connected" red triangle. I waited a minute for the router to finish. I went to the MSN "fix my account" section and it eventually informed me the Real-tek PCle GBE Family controller adaptor driver was corrupt or missing or there was a hardware issue. I needed to connect to the internet to fix it....arg!
Used my bare-bones laptop to download the driver, got it on the PC and the Real-Tek install wizard did its thing - at one point I clicked "repair" versus "Install". It actually worked - so I was told. Rebooted, but, not my background, few (not my selected) icons on the toolbar. No bookmarks, no files in the download folder, etc. I fixed everything - desktop, bookmarks, file associations (was not showing extension), some preferences - almost back to normal.

This AM had the all the same issues minus the internet red triangle - I can connect. But its still like a new unpersonalized machine. I imagine the repair vs install option rest everything, but why will it now not save personalizations?
can you check the smart status on your hard drive, sounds like a failing hard drive. You probably can get a similar result right click your hard drive and check hard drive for errors. Hopefully its just a hdd starting to fail. Back up everything that matters if its not backed up already.
07-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #3
maw
Pentaxian

I have two computers both with 32 & 64 bit Win 10 Pro. What is your system?
07-04-2018, 03:26 PM   #4

hmm, that HDD may be sending a warning sign! haha backup!

07-04-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackest Quote
can you check the smart status on your hard drive, sounds like a failing hard drive. You probably can get a similar result right click your hard drive and check hard drive for errors. Hopefully its just a hdd starting to fail. Back up everything that matters if its not backed up already.
Yeah, Everything was backed up. Scanned and no errors found.

QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
I have two computers both with 32 & 64 bit Win 10 Pro. What is your system?
W10 Home
Version 1803
dated 5/22/18
OS build 17134.112

I have all my files and programs except those that were in my download folder. Everything seems to operate normally except my personalized settings, bookmarks, etc
07-04-2018, 03:57 PM   #6
maw
Pentaxian

Yeah, Everything was backed up. Scanned and no errors found.
There is the possibility to perform an installation keeping your personal files and another with loss of your data.
It depends on whether you saved your data (backup), or you could do a clean installation, restore if you have a pen or a dvd.

Check this first, it also exists in English of course.

07-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This has the potential, I think, to be a corrupted user account problem... Have a look at the following, which is aimed at Windows 8 & 8.1, but apparently applies to Windows 10 also:

You've been signed in with a temporary profile - Fix Tutorial | Windows 8 Help Forums
07-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #8
maw
Pentaxian

I think this is the corrupt File System, You have checked if the "windows old" folder exists.

However the "clean installation" is always valid option.

1 Test 1

Use Google translate to try the other possible Microsoft solution

2 Test 2

07-05-2018, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
This has the potential, I think, to be a corrupted user account problem... Have a look at the following, which is aimed at Windows 8 & 8.1, but apparently applies to Windows 10 also:

You've been signed in with a temporary profile - Fix Tutorial | Windows 8 Help Forums
maybe easiest test is to create a new user account and see if that works normally.
07-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Yes, that is the message I get. I have located the W10 version of the fix and will attempt it Friday night or Saturday.

Wish me luck :-)
07-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, that is the message I get. I have located the W10 version of the fix and will attempt it Friday night or Saturday.

Wish me luck :-)
Ah... Good luck! Let us know how you get on
07-06-2018, 05:28 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ah... Good luck! Let us know how you get on
It took two tries to get through the "simple" step-by-step process. I even checked the W8 tutorial above to see if it was clearer, but it was written by the same guy with the same verbiage :-(

Anyway, I think I am back, other than having "DESKTOPsome numbers" after my user name.

I changed the background, made a few bookmarks, and it seemed to stick. Yay!

Oh, and ASUS prompted me to register...and I'm not sure of the status of my MS Office subscription.
07-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It took two tries to get through the "simple" step-by-step process. I even checked the W8 tutorial above to see if it was clearer, but it was written by the same guy with the same verbiage :-(

Anyway, I think I am back, other than having "DESKTOPsome numbers" after my user name.

I changed the background, made a few bookmarks, and it seemed to stick. Yay!

Oh, and ASUS prompted me to register...and I'm not sure of the status of my MS Office subscription.
Well, that's mostly good. The MS Office subscription should be resolvable, though it might take an e-mail or two

Well done!!