Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've noticed only a few system-switchers here on PF, so I don't think it's a rampant condition.

I have been amused by the occasional declaration along the lines of:

Buh-bye. I'm jumpin' ship because my new system wipes the floor with my old Pentax kit and my super new lenses blow the old DA limiteds and old DA-stars out of the water. My bokeh has never been so delicious and my autofocus... well, my AF is lightning fast. So, I hope y'all have enjoyed my 14 posts on PF. See ya around... Oh, did I tell you that I'm jumping ship?

Well, not exactly all of that from one person, but you might recognize some of the sentiment. I don't know why a person feels that they need to announce themselves -- maybe they want to validate their choice or confirm their subconscious superiority.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 07-09-2018 at 01:16 PM. Reason: typo
07-09-2018, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

I dunno. I'm one of those who have had multiple camera systems in the past. In the '80's and '90's...the film years....I had/have Pentax as my go to 35mm SLR system. Then I had/have as my medium format system, my Mamiya 220 Pro F 6X6 and attendant stuff...than my well used, old Leica 11f 35mm...mostly because having a Leica Rangefinder always and still does... appeal to me. The Leica is indeed a fine camera, even my ancient version...but in the end the pictures were no better than my Pentax pix.

The reason I started with Pentax as my key to the SLR world was simple. Back in '68 my publisher boss told me I had to make myself more useful and take pics, in addition to my other duties. He said get a Nikon or a Pentax SLR 35mm...as pictures needed to be 'publishable'. I checked out the cost of a Pentax SLR and a Nikon SLR...there was a $ 30 difference and back then for a young guy...$ 30 was nothing to sneeze at. So I bought the Pentax and stayed with them ever since.

Just imagine thirty bucks ...50 years ago...determined my prime camera system and I've bought plenty of Pentax stuff since then.

Thirty...lousy...bucks !

If it wasn't for the 30 dollars, I might of been a Nikonian rather than a Pentaxian...and I could of been a contender...to quote Marlon Brando form the movie, On the Waterfront.

Not so. I've been more than happy with Pentax and although like many I suspect, I did consider over a number of instances over the past half century...to change...to go from Pentax to completely go to Nikon, Leica RF (used), Canon, Nikon, Fuji then Canon and that last decision was made in 2017.

But I hemmed and hawed, thought about how good Pentax gear has been and how it still is at the top...in my mind and continued with Pentax.

As I often times say, the older and more experienced I get, I have come to the stark realization that good pictures don't (always) result from the latest 85mm F 1.4 lens...it's more dependent on how good the photographer is.

If you spend more time and effort analyzing why Brand A is going to improve your work over your current Brand B...that is not the answer to your problem of taking good pics. The thing that has worked best for me is practice, taking more and more pictures. Getting out there, Taking pics. Looking at those images and seeing where I screwed up (digital monitor is great for this) and making adjustments and trying again.

I've learned more about photography...taking pictures.... than I have reading cross analysis articles about what I need to have (equipment wise),.

I'm no Eisenstadt, no Karsh, no Adams...but my picture quality has improved over the years (I know this for sure as my wife has told me ) from just getting out to some place, some event and clicking away...but not mindless clicking...but thoughtful, self analytical about what is mediocre work or good work...on my part.

Most of us have known those photographers who have gone from Pentax...to Canon..to Nikon...to Fuji...etc.,,in quick succession and in the end...their pics still look the same.

I see these quixotic journeys in search of the ideal camera equipment as expensive and although I hate to use this word as a Pentaxian...'doomed' to failure.
07-09-2018, 01:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Thirty...lousy...bucks !

If it wasn't for the 30 dollars, I might of been a Nikonian rather than a Pentaxian...
LOL! same thought pattern here for me back in 1978! That said I've always liked being a Pentaxian. If there is a real need for what another system has to offer, then given the value of the return on my investment, I would add a system. As a matter of fact that is what I am doing now. I've got a lot of good Pentax glass already so i am keeping what I have, and just adding to it.

Last edited by wstruth; 07-09-2018 at 02:05 PM.
07-18-2018, 06:32 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
LOL! same thought pattern here for me back in 1978! That said I've always liked being a Pentaxian. If there is a real need for what another system has to offer, then given the value of the return on my investment, I would add a system. As a matter of fact that is what I am doing now. I've got a lot of good Pentax glass already so i am keeping what I have, and just adding to it.
Same here. Back in '78 when I wanted to get an SLR, I asked a professional photographer that I knew about which way to go; he told me Nikon "is for pros and snobs, Cannon is for snap shooters, and Pentax is for enthusiasts."

I was already leaning heavily towards an MX, so his comments only sealed the deal. I've stayed with Pentax all these years primarily because I'm a prisoner of my assets and switching systems - even if I wanted to - would too much trouble.

Jer

07-18-2018, 08:32 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most of those Buh Bye posts are just talkin’ smack, the ‘in your face’ style of communication more commonly used by people born in the last 35 or 40 years. Though coarse, thoughtless and impolite, It doesn’t really mean anything serious.

People who come back time and again infecting threads and proselytizing another system (I can think of a Sony preacher who I believe was eventually banned) often have some external ‘motivation’.

The people I don’t understand are the ones we know, who keep coming back, arguing the same points over and over - and they’re still wrong.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-18-2018 at 08:38 PM.
07-22-2018, 11:04 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

I really don't understand extreme brand loyalty but I guess it's important to some people. Am I supposed to feel guilty if I'm in need of a new (name your whatever) and the current product line doesn't meet my needs? Do I need to announce to the world that I just switched from Carhartt cargo pants to Wranglers? And somebody please tell me why I have to sell off all my Pentax gear if I decide to buy another brand. It can't really be the money because I'll only get a fraction of what I paid for the stuff.

There are always new cameras. Technology continues to change so the new thing is almost always better than the previous model. I said always because sometimes a manufacturer makes a real turd but for the most part, just about every current DSLR and mirrorless body out there is a pretty impressive product. If you really think your photography will improve with something else, go buy it. There are lots of good reasons to switch brands but if you are switching because your photos suck, then it's because the photographer sucks, not the camera. Expensive you say? A new K70 is less than a pair of new tires for my Harley. It's also cheaper than the new fly rod I've had my eye on. I mention those two things because any camera I buy will last far longer than either. The tires will last one summer and I have a knack for breaking fly rods.
07-22-2018, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Selling my Pentax System, going to be sad

I assumed this was a fill in the blank post? Looking at other peoples answers, I may have been wrong

07-23-2018, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Kind of a rant here. I don't understand when people announce a decision to switch systems while selling their Pentax gear, they have to make it known to everyone in the world that they are switching to Sony or Nikon or Fuji. It's almost like they are aren't 100 percent sure, but announcing it somehow gives them some sort of rationale or vindication doing so....
I always hope that the door doesn't hit them on the butt as they go through it. Sometimes I'll even tell them that.
Sometimes I get a week off for doing it.
07-23-2018, 09:51 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The people I don’t understand are the ones we know, who keep coming back, arguing the same points over and over - and they’re still wrong.
If System X isn't filling my needs I just switch to another, I don't feel the need to harp on about it. But then again, net everyone here can manage working with several different camera systems at the same time - it can become confusing.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
These are the lost souls who are waiting for the "perfect" camera - sadly such a thing is never likely to ever surface at present, or in the foreseeable future.
07-24-2018, 03:32 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do not have such a dilemma, have to too many Pentax cameras and lenses to even consider it.
and I am happy with the status quo......
07-29-2018, 07:26 AM   #26
T T

tough crowd and pentax users are indeed a special and close knit group,
07-29-2018, 10:44 AM   #27

Mmmm...the only problem of Pentax is the Af on My K30