Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2018, 03:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Selling my Pentax System, going to ____________________

Kind of a rant here. I don't understand when people announce a decision to switch systems while selling their Pentax gear, they have to make it known to everyone in the world that they are switching to Sony or Nikon or Fuji. It's almost like they are aren't 100 percent sure, but announcing it somehow gives them some sort of rationale or vindication doing so....

07-09-2018, 03:46 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I consider them attention whores...

if you are having specific problems with your equipment, this is the place to get them solved - just ask...

if the limitation you are running into is you, there is so much information/classes/instructional videos available now...

there's no reason to not learn to overcome it - whatever 'it' is...

so I normally hit 'ignore' on the thread and user and walk away...
07-09-2018, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #3

I don't think it's so strange. Quite annoying sometimes, but not strange.
When you decide to leave system and move to something else, it is usually big decision. You have invested a lot of money and time into Pentax and now for some reason you want to move to something else.
When you made such big decision, you want to be sure what you are doing good thing. It is normal for people to say about it, it's almost like having new child, and for some poeple even more (hey, you can have multiple children, but rarely you change camera system more than once in a live, especialy if you have invested so much).

Also, sometimes people are curious what are you changing into, so they ask. And now they don't have to ask.
07-09-2018, 03:57 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MatKus Quote
I don't think it's so strange. Quite annoying sometimes, but not strange.
When you decide to leave system and move to something else, it is usually big decision. You have invested a lot of money and time into Pentax and now for some reason you want to move to something else.
When you made such big decision, you want to be sure what you are doing good thing. It is normal for people to say about it, it's almost like having new child, and for some poeple even more (hey, you can have multiple children, but rarely you change camera system more than once in a live, especialy if you have invested so much).

Also, sometimes people are curious what are you changing into, so they ask. And now they don't have to ask.
The thing is not that people switch systems. That is understandable and doesn't need any explanation any more than it would be if someone who owned a Subaru decided to buy a Ford. The question is why some feel it necessary to come back and post about how awesome their new system is and how they couldn't get the photos they needed from their Pentax camera.

Pentax doesn't have lenses and camera bodies for everyone. If you need 15 fps or a 600mm f4 lens, you have to go elsewhere, but there is no particular benefit to anyone to show up at tell us about how terrible your K20 was and how much more you connect with your T6i.

07-09-2018, 04:12 AM   #5

You're ignoring the psychological element here.
When you change car, you just sell old one and buy new one. Everyone changes car sometimes. Nothing special here. I would compare it to selling your old K30 and buying new KP.
But when you change system it's like saying "i will not drive car anymore, now i will ride bike", i'm sure most people are not 100% sure if it's good decision. After all, you have all those lenses, flashes etc. and you will not get as much for it, as it is worth for you.
So here comes this psychological element, when you want to be 200% sure you did good. When you buy new item for big money (and big part of live invested to earn this money) you usually don't notice problems with this new thing. If you buy new lens for 5000$ and 90% of images will be bad, you will show only those 10% and will tell this lens is awesome even, if it's not, becaue you will not admit even to yourself you could spend this money into garbage.
So, if you've invested hige money into new system you will tell everyone how great it is, because you must ensure yourself it is worth it.

It's something that just is like that, and you can't change it without modyfing how human brain works.
I don't like it, i will not admit it at that moment, but i'm sure i'm like that too. It's just how laud will you talk about it.
07-09-2018, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with Rondec. Some switch systems because they have to, others because of their own shortcomings.

But if you switch from Pentax to X, why come here to post about it? Go to brand X forums. When I sold my Jeep and bought a Ford truck, I didn’t go back to the Jeep clubs and tell them how bad Jeep is because it can’t haul the amount of items my Ford can. Of course common sense would suggest a Jeep isn’t made to, but that doesn’t change what some people do.
07-09-2018, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
It's almost like they are aren't 100 percent sure, but announcing it somehow gives them some sort of rationale or vindication doing so....
I believe it's called self-justification. If you're uncertain of the wisdom of your actions you will feel the need to justify them (to others as well as to yourself). It's a common response to cognitive dissonance.

07-09-2018, 04:51 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

It's just attention seeking. Always has been.

There's been a few that made their way back, after discovering the competition wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Most of the time it's delusional thing where they think Pentax is holding them back, and they are going to be some kind of hotshot once they switch.

Winder got a Sony A9 for his wedding work. But he didn't switch he added. Their are reasons for switching, the failed logic is that people assume that their Pentax is what's ruining their lives.

Last edited by normhead; 07-22-2018 at 04:29 PM.
07-09-2018, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We’ve been around this buoy before. Some people stick around after they change systems, but not all do so to rub people’s faces in their new-found superiority. Those who do the latter get given short shrift, usually, though some are kept around for amusement value. Some who leave come back for the social interaction, while others decide they missed the gear as well, and change back. Pretty standard range of human behaviours, I think.
07-09-2018, 05:05 AM - 5 Likes   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Pretty standard range of human behaviours, I think.
Well, I wouldn't want the standard range of human behaviours on this forum, Rob. I don't want to see anyone join not to submit and enjoy pictures and photographic advice, but in order to put down Pentaxians or what they shoot with.

This sort of creature tends to skulk around the News and Rumours threads, and is not found contributing or participating anywhere else.

Pentax Forums is a precious oasis in an internet full of brand trolls. I'll point to DPR as an obvious example. The moment this forum decides to broaden and become a DPR wannabe, that's when I stop paying for it.

Here, photographers can take refuge amongst like minded souls.

A minority group *knows* that's special, and appreciates it.

That's why this forum has a devoted following that for example, Nikonforums (same operator) doesn't, and never will.

Last edited by clackers; 07-09-2018 at 05:21 AM.
07-09-2018, 05:44 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, I wouldn't want the standard range of human behaviours on this forum, Rob. I don't want to see anyone join not to submit and enjoy pictures and photographic advice, but in order to put down Pentaxians or what they shoot with...
We are as one on this matter, though such behaviour does pop up from time to time. I think we should be careful, nevertheless, in distinguishing the narcissist from the naive, for instance, even if both are equally irritating.
07-09-2018, 05:49 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
We are as one on this matter, though such behaviour does pop up from time to time. I think we should be careful, nevertheless, in distinguishing the narcissist from the naive, for instance, even if both are equally irritating.
Agree, Rob. I've never had an issue with the naïve - we get plenty of 'em, always will.

It's the ones who aren't beginners, and have an agenda, that cause dissatisfaction.

Last edited by clackers; 07-09-2018 at 05:56 AM.
07-09-2018, 05:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Agree … I've never had an issue with the naïve. We get plenty of 'em, always will.
Although the "naive with attitude" can be a little hard to take.
07-09-2018, 05:58 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Although the "naive with attitude" can be a little hard to take.

Newbies asking a question but not liking the answers?

Yeah, that's an unsavoury subset, to be sure.
07-09-2018, 12:23 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tough crowd here