Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #1
Forum Member

Camera, Car, Computer Trifecta

I would consider myself a Pentax enthusiast, however I am also a Volvo and Apple enthusiast. It may seem to be a peculiar question, but I am curious if anyone else on the forum shares the same enthusiasm for these three brands. They may seem completely unrelated, although to me they each seem to be more highly focused on design and practicality/ease of use than other brands in their competing markets. Also, each of these respective brands are niche-like in that they each serve only a small percent of the market.

What do you think about any of these brands? Do you see a connection?

07-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm. Pentax and Apple, yes, to me they seem to fit. Vehicles, I have Ford for work trucks, but I’m a Volkswagen enthusiast.
07-14-2018, 01:23 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax yes.
Volvo I’m indifferent.
Apple device… “I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole”.
07-14-2018, 01:32 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

I read where some people compare the Subaru AWD cars to Pentax cameras, when it comes to Japanese cars vs cameras. Subaru being not as big as Canon (which some compare to Toyota because of it's size) and Nikon ( Honda- 2nd in sales re; Japanese automotive) and Subaru is like Pentax...both have the reputation as rugged, outdoorsy products and not as common in numbers.

07-14-2018, 02:25 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I had to characterize myself by what brands of these items I choose:

- Instamatic X-15
- AMC Gremlin
- Timex Sinclair 1000

Chris
07-14-2018, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I read where some people compare the Subaru AWD cars to Pentax cameras, when it comes to Japanese cars vs cameras. Subaru being not as big as Canon (which some compare to Toyota because of it's size) and Nikon ( Honda- 2nd in sales re; Japanese automotive) and Subaru is like Pentax...both have the reputation as rugged, outdoorsy products and not as common in numbers.
Yes - Pentax, Apple, Subaru (but we also drive a Honda Sedan and a Mini Hardtop). Subaru and Mini are designed to appeal to a different niche than traditional vehicles. One either likes them passionately (nearly defiantly) and returns over and over or completely dismisses the brand. I would say both are uniquely engineered and a tiny bit quirky.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-14-2018 at 02:48 PM.
07-14-2018, 08:33 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can see the association with Suburu. That’s a good one.

07-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes - Pentax, Apple, Subaru (but we also drive a Honda Sedan and a Mini Hardtop). Subaru and Mini are designed to appeal to a different niche than traditional vehicles. One either likes them passionately (nearly defiantly) and returns over and over or completely dismisses the brand. I would say both are uniquely engineered and a tiny bit quirky.
One of the cars I really like is the Subaru Outback station wagon with the 3.6 liter flat Boxer six, not sure if it is classified as a wagon, but that is what it looks to me like. To begin with I like wagons. Back in the 1950's and '60's, my parents had an assortment of full size Ford and Chevy (mostly Chevy) wagons. We went camping a lot and they filled the bill. Towed trailers, and family luggage, even strapped a Jawa 50cc scooter on top of the roof racks of the '64 Impala wagon to take to the lake...it was a lake in the states, northern Minnesota.

Problem I have with the Subaru Outback is that I'm a little over 6' 3", 240 lbs, big shoulders and a bad hockey knee. I need to stretch the right leg way out and the vehicle cabin needs to be roomy...ie; head hitting the roof, shoulder hitting the interior B support of the car. The Subie doesn't quite fit me, like most cars and not just the Subaru.

As a result only big American sedans like our older Buick 6 passenger and modern Chevy Impala (newer style) accommodate me comfortably. As it happens I like big domestic sedans when optioned 'right'.

But I do like the Outback AWD, 3.6 liter six and station wagon body. This particular car really has a lot of appeal for me as I like to drive down back roads during all seasons and our winters can be tough, snowy, icy. Think the Outback would work well with my driving habits and the places I go.

Every few years when Subaru brings out an updated model, I stop by and see if they made the cabin dimensions a little roomier. So far, not quite, but who knows in the future.
07-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We usually have an Outback 6cyl. Right now we’re off cycle because my son wrecked my car and my wife wanted a city car (Mini). I plan to return to Subaru when the Honda. EX-L V-6 is ready to be replaced in 2020.
07-15-2018, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I'm, ah, with Volvo, Pentax, and Linux, actually. And, well, I ended up almost always favoring my old Canon FD stuff for film, I just know it so well and have faster lenses for it.
07-16-2018, 04:03 AM   #11
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ShaunW Quote
I would consider myself a Pentax enthusiast, however I am also a Volvo and Apple enthusiast. It may seem to be a peculiar question, but I am curious if anyone else on the forum shares the same enthusiasm for these three brands. They may seem completely unrelated, although to me they each seem to be more highly focused on design and practicality/ease of use than other brands in their competing markets. Also, each of these respective brands are niche-like in that they each serve only a small percent of the market.

What do you think about any of these brands? Do you see a connection?
not much of a connection, except personal preference perhaps...

for me: Pentax -> Apple -> Honda/VW

the Pentax angle should be apparent, since I'm here and only own one other brand of camera and it's a near-useless p&s....

Apple - ignore the hype and a Mac just works, day in and day out; and I won't own any Windows machine since the last I did own self-destructed and the OS corrupted 3 hard drives...

Honda - best value for us when replacing the 13-year-old Jetta wagon was (and still is) a bare-bones Civic... I do miss the idiosyncrasies of VW, but cannot justify the 'made in Germany' prices for a car that is no longer made in Germany (for US buyers)...
07-18-2018, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
By golly, Les, Pentax and Subaru make a great analogy - for the reasons you said; I never thought about it before, but I think you're spot on. I hope you're doing well; we haven't "talked" in a while.

Jer

---------- Post added 07-18-2018 at 10:14 PM ----------

Two out of three for me: Apple and Pentax, but no Volvo. Somehow Apple and Pentax seem sort of analogous, despite the fact that Pentax is a bit player while Apple made around $14B last quarter - far more than Amazon has made in its entire existence (around $9.5B), not that I've got anything against Amazon; I've been a Prime subscriber for years.

Jer
07-19-2018, 01:07 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax - rugged, outdoorsy, practical
Volvo - rugged and practical, I guess
Apple - rimmed glasses and turtleneck sweater

Does not compute

Me, I'm more of a Pentax, Linux, and buss pass guy. I rent whatever type of car I need when I need it. We found it too impractical to own one when it saw only occasional use.

As for Apple, I think they fit better with SAAB and Fuji. Right, SAAB went bust. Maybe an Ecoride electric bike, then
07-19-2018, 07:01 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
By golly, Les, Pentax and Subaru make a great analogy - for the reasons you said; I never thought about it before, but I think you're spot on. I hope you're doing well; we haven't "talked" in a while.

Jer

---------- Post added 07-18-2018 at 10:14 PM ----------

Two out of three for me: Apple and Pentax, but no Volvo. Somehow Apple and Pentax seem sort of analogous, despite the fact that Pentax is a bit player while Apple made around $14B last quarter - far more than Amazon has made in its entire existence (around $9.5B), not that I've got anything against Amazon; I've been a Prime subscriber for years.

Jer

Thanks for asking Jer, I'm doing fine. Our daughter and our grandson (5 1/2 months old) are visiting us, with her husband and their Northern Canadian Sled dog soon to follow...they're coming by car, not by sled. .... It's been very busy as of late at the home front . Hope all is well with you and family.

As you may know, I have an old (1951) Leica Rangefinder with an even older ('30's, '40's) collapsible Leitz Elmar 50mm 'normal' lens. Had it since 1981. It still takes great photographs, I've never had to do any repairs ...and in a nod to it's German manufacture would say it's 'uber' durable and reliable.

The quality of design, materials, construction (including machining) and function is exceptional and it reminds me of the BMW flat twin motorcycles or the Porsche 356 of similar vintage, to my old Leica and Elmar lens.

You know I like this thread's theme...the cross comparison of different products by different manufacturers which share similar design philosophy and quality .

Les
07-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the connection is taking some time to research what you're buying in those categories. There's a market research paper by Joseph Alba and Howard Marmorstein* which showed subjects a couple of cameras. Brand A had four superior features all related to image quality. Brand B had eight superior features but they weren't related to IQ, such as a better strap. Subjects who had a few seconds to choose picked B. When they had more time, most people picked A. Which explains a lot about camera feature overload, but also if you care about getting a car, camera or computer, you spend time to look for one that works for you.

*The Effects of Frequency Knowledge on Consumer Decision Making on JSTOR