Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2018, 05:16 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Thanks for asking Jer, I'm doing fine. Our daughter and our grandson (5 1/2 months old) are visiting us, with her husband and their Northern Canadian Sled dog soon to follow...they're coming by car, not by sled. .... It's been very busy as of late at the home front . Hope all is well with you and family.

As you may know, I have an old (1951) Leica Rangefinder with an even older ('30's, '40's) collapsible Leitz Elmar 50mm 'normal' lens. Had it since 1981. It still takes great photographs, I've never had to do any repairs ...and in a nod to it's German manufacture would say it's 'uber' durable and reliable.

The quality of design, materials, construction (including machining) and function is exceptional and it reminds me of the BMW flat twin motorcycles or the Porsche 356 of similar vintage, to my old Leica and Elmar lens.

You know I like this thread's theme...the cross comparison of different products by different manufacturers which share similar design philosophy and quality .

Les
Hey, Les - good to hear from you; grandkids are wonderful fun. We'll be flying to Connecticut to see - for the second visit - our granddaughter, who was born April 29. We're looking forward to it, for sure.

You know, I didn't know you had the Leica; I've got a '53 M3 with a collapsible Sumicron 50. To be honest, I haven't had it out of the closet for months - now I'll dig it out just to enjoy its amazing precision.

I like the thread's theme, as well - different and interesting!

Enjoy your summer, my friend.

Jer

07-19-2018, 08:50 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey, Les - good to hear from you; grandkids are wonderful fun. We'll be flying to Connecticut to see - for the second visit - our granddaughter, who was born April 29. We're looking forward to it, for sure.

You know, I didn't know you had the Leica; I've got a '53 M3 with a collapsible Sumicron 50. To be honest, I haven't had it out of the closet for months - now I'll dig it out just to enjoy its amazing precision.

I like the thread's theme, as well - different and interesting!

Enjoy your summer, my friend.

Jer
Thx Jer.

Have a great time in Connecticut and have fun with your granddaughter. I was also born on April 29th...just not this year.

You're quite right about the precision of a Leica Rangefinder. I'm still surprised by how well the focus clicks in so well, especially considering the age of my Leica . The knurled controls, the smooth lens focus control ...very nice tactile experiences during camera operation.

Have a great summer and take a camera (which I'm sure you will ) out to Connecticut for the car shows and of course..first and foremost...for photos of your new grandchild.

Les
07-20-2018, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Pentax - rugged, outdoorsy, practical
Volvo - rugged and practical, I guess
Apple - rimmed glasses and turtleneck sweater

Does not compute

Me, I'm more of a Pentax, Linux, and buss pass guy. I rent whatever type of car I need when I need it. We found it too impractical to own one when it saw only occasional use.

As for Apple, I think they fit better with SAAB and Fuji. Right, SAAB went bust. Maybe an Ecoride electric bike, then
Hee, I think Volvo, Pentax, and Linux may be sort of your old-school DIYer combo, whether urban or more rural or somehow both. I'm in Pentax largely for adaptability to old school lenses and wanting an old PC flash terminal as well as being water-resistant enough to treat like, err, film bodies, even if I have no WR lenses.
07-21-2018, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by ddharriman Quote
Pentax yes.
Volvo I’m indifferent.
Apple device… “I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole”.
volvo no & apple part I agree 100% most over rated items out

07-21-2018, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Pentax - rugged, outdoorsy, practical
Volvo - rugged and practical, I guess
Apple - rimmed glasses and turtleneck sweater

Does not compute
Try it this way:
Pentax - Different; Small market share
Volvo - Different (or used to be); Small market share
Apple - Different; Small market share

Now it computes.

For me, substitute Chevy Captiva for Volvo. Still works though - Different; Small market share
08-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Me, I'm partial to Pentax ,Subaru Forester, and Apple. All for the same reason. They hold up.
08-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is an interesting thread, and could make a good study. For me, Apple is two parts, phones and computers. I’ve been on an Apple phone since the iPhone 3, but I’m on Linux with my computers.

Obviously I’m using Pentax, and my daily driver is a Ford F-150 4x4.

So for me personally;

Pentax- rugged outdoor
Ford 4x4- rugged outdoor
Apple iPhone- rugged (the 7 is waterproof-ask me how I’m sure)
Linux- we’re tired of consumer hype and want things to just work

08-11-2018, 11:01 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I like my Pentaxes. The best part is that there are some great used lenses at very good prices on the market. That leads to LBA, but we will not elaborate on that.

Volvo, no love for the new ones from me. Older ones, maybe. After decades of VW and BMW ownership, I now have a very simple rule for buying cars: no European cars! My daily driver is a twelve year old Lexus. I would rather spend money on cameras and lenses than fixing Beemers, thank you.

Computers - anything with Linux on it is fine, but I like Lenovo laptops. They seem to last a long time. Apple is just too way out for me. An iPod Nano bought for my daughter put me off the whole fruit thing for ever. It is an MP3 player. Take it out the box, plug it into a computer, copy MP3 files, press play. That seems logical but not in the Apple world. You need iTunes software to make it work. Nah.
08-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #24
Forum Member

I guess it's obvious that being on a Pentax forum, I would definitely agree with Pentax.

I suppose that VW is the car as I have driven more of these over the last 30 years than any other marque.

As for computers, I must admit that I am in the Microsoft camp. I love the fact that I can tinker with the PC and add all sorts of 3rd party components. So while I loved the Apple II, I wouldn't have any technology from the Cupertino organisation as I don't want to be told what I can and can't do!
08-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax, Apple, Honda.

My Mac mini is 9 1/2 years old, maybe time for a new one.

I drove my 1998 Honda Civic for 18 years. Maybe my 2013 Fit will last as long.
08-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax - yes.
Volvo - why not a Subaru?
Apple - indifferent.
08-12-2018, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ShaunW Quote
I would consider myself a Pentax enthusiast, however I am also a Volvo and Apple enthusiast. It may seem to be a peculiar question, but I am curious if anyone else on the forum shares the same enthusiasm for these three brands. They may seem completely unrelated, although to me they each seem to be more highly focused on design and practicality/ease of use than other brands in their competing markets. Also, each of these respective brands are niche-like in that they each serve only a small percent of the market.

What do you think about any of these brands? Do you see a connection?
Interesting post! I think Volvos are brilliant motorcars. But here by us, they also halve their value within a few years and cost a fortune to maintain once out of warranty. Hence, not a vehicle I'd buy even though I think they are brilliant vehicles.
For example, a new S90 is $100,000 here, while a low mileage 2013 S60 is around $17,000-18,000. A 2017 S60 is around $45,000-50,000.

My daughter was an Apple enthusiast until her second almost new iphone broke as quickly as the first one.