Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #31
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
You could be right.

I have a 70 Limited and I haven't used it for awhile on my K-1 (usually use it on my K5, K10D), I think there was a bit of vignetting with the K1, but I can't recall for sure as its been awhile. I intend to try it out again. A bit of vignetting doesn't worry me, as when I take pictures with any lens, I usually allow for a margin around the subject...for later cropping, either by me...or the 'cropping' that happens from the machine, when I want to make a print.
Hi Les

I don't have a K1 yet but always wonderered if its like having 2 cameras in 1or thats its better to just shoot in ff regardles of lens being used ie you get a little bit more leeway instead of useing the "crop" mode.

Dave

07-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 40 can come...it can pass as a full frame...the 70...well with the 70, I think it would be pushing it.
Shame about the 21, too. But once you give in just a little they own you.

I recall reading a post Mike Johnston made at TOP arguing in favor of carrying a prime inside the fl range of the zoom, where the zoom would cover the expected fl range for the shoot. You’d haul out the prime for the superior IQ in a specific situation. In that regard the 28~105 + FA*50/1.4 is a reasonable minimalist bag.
07-19-2018, 11:51 PM   #33

I've been trying a few different setups over the years. They are all with the K-5 and BlackRapid Metro shoulder strap.

First, it was the DA 18-250 and A 50/2, which would have been good if I could manual focus well. But I can't.
Next, I tried the DA 18-250, DA 35 and DA 50 with the vertical grip. Ended up using the 35 most of the time and the other two weren't necessary.
Recently, I got a D-FA 24-70 and tried that as my only lens with the vertical grip as well. It worked out alright, but my shoulders hurt at the end of the day. Repeat that for several days straight and I don't even want to pick up my camera anymore.

Now, I only bring the DA 35 with me and maybe the DA 50 if I'm going out to shoot close to home.
For vacations, I bring the DA 35, D-FA 24-70, and Tamron 70-200. Even then, I use the DA 35 most of the time.

Maybe I can thin it down to just the DA 35? It's lightweight and the focal length is perfect for me on APS-C. Maybe it's time to upgrade to the Limited
Also, I've tried out the Sigma C 30 1.4 on a friend's Sony A6000 and it was great, so I guess it's between the Sigma Art 30 1.4 and the Pentax 35 2.8 Limited for me right now. Has anyone tried both of those lenses out?
07-20-2018, 03:24 AM   #34
Pentaxian

The way things are going, a mobile phone would do most of the things I want! Saying that my usual travelling pack up if my K3 with an 18-80 and a 28 - 200 lens. If I'm going somewhere off the beaten track I'll take the old K100D Super instead.

07-20-2018, 06:12 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Leica Monochrom - Leica APO-Summicron 50mm f/2 and APO-Summicron 90mm f/2- I could live happily with that combination.
07-29-2018, 03:08 PM   #36
jnd

For digital: My most used combo of Canon 80D + Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8. If I want everyday walkaround lens, universal travel set, then this fits for 98% of my needs.

For film: Currently Pentax ME Super + M series 50mm f/1.7 (or 1.4, it's not that big difference). This is very compact and therefore minimal combo, I used for travel but if you take more than 5 rolls of film at once then it doubles the volume
08-25-2018, 12:25 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My current idea of a minimalist K mount kit is not all that minimal:
  • Pentax K-x
  • Pentax A 24mm f/2.8
  • Pentax M 50mm f/1.4 (or A 50mm f/2.8 macro)
  • Rokinon 85mm f/1.4
  • Pentax K 200mm f/2.5
  • Pentax AF360FGZ
All manual focus and well suited for portraits, landscapes and other things that don't move around much. My collection of bokeh monsters (not the 24mm!). Also quite good in low light.

A bit more minimalist:
  • Samsung NX1
  • Samsung 16-50mm f/2-2.8
  • Samsung 50-150mm f/2.8
All autofocus, great for low light and events. A bit heavy but that is just the way it is. A lack of love for dead camera brands among the used camera buying public meant that I got it for a song.

Extreme minimalism:
  • Samsung NX100
  • Samsung 20-50mm f/3.5-5.6
Fits in a coat pocket, the 14 megapixel camera I can take everywhere. Not so good in low light. Has barrel distortion at the wide end that has to be taken out in post.
08-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Now being the OP and of course, also being a Pentaxian and all...I probably shouldn't mention this...I should probably keep this quiet. But sometimes when I really want to be minimalist I just carry my Canon G 12 and in my jacket pocket have my Canon 430 flash. For a small sensor this little Canon does rather well and I also find that many times people don't seem to be intimidated by what appears to be a simple point and shoot camera.

I recall going to an agricultural fair some years ago and there was a new battery cage system for chicken farming. This was a bit before cell phone cameras were ubiquitous and I noted there were a number of people checking out the display model and taking pictures of it...with their point and shooters. I was interested in the device and as it happened had my K10D with battery grip and 16-45 mm lens and lens hood on. I went up and took a couple of pictures and the guys selling the battery cages...all of a sudden got all revved up and asked me why I was taking pics of their product. I don't know if they thought I was a rather unsneaky industrial spy...or what. I tried to assuage their fears by using the truth...as I had read somewhere that the truth will set you free...but they were barely convinced of my innocence....and my protestations that I was just an amateur photographer who liked to take pictures and who had no ulterior, nefarious motivation.

So the moral of my little tale is that sometimes a little point and shoot will cause much less drama....and adds a point to the minimalist side.

08-25-2018, 04:07 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I said earlier that I had two minimalist kits, I forgot the third.

My stealthy gig rig: Q7 with 08 Wide Zoom, 01 Standard Prime and 06 Telephoto Zoom (and a spare battery)

Oh, and I also have a Canon G12 (bought for my daughter but she doesn't use it ) - it's a great little camera.
08-26-2018, 02:28 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So the moral of my little tale is that sometimes a little point and shoot will cause much less drama....and adds a point to the minimalist side.

This is another reason fixed-lens pocket 35's are my primary picture takers.

Chris
08-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #41
Veteran Member

My work bag has a k-50, da-l18-55wr kit, da-l50-200edwr and the dal35mmf2.4 stays mounted in an old padded 3 hole shoulder bag. The whole mess weighs about 7lbs and is mostly sealed to survive daily carry.

Or a canon G1X in a doghouse.
08-27-2018, 12:35 AM   #42
dbs
Pentaxian

Just a dslr with a 40 ltd

Dave
08-27-2018, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Just a dslr with a 40 ltd

Dave
Funny you should say that...last night I was out at an event and had my minimalist kit...my K1 and 40mm Limited. That 40mm Limited is quite a versatile lens and the image quality is very sharp. One of my favourite lenses...whether attached to an ASP-C body or the K-1.

I also note that a few posters carry around a Canon G series. I find my G12 a very useful small camera...all it's DSLR controls and ability to use a regular flashgun...yep it has a small sensor but the little 'G' usually seems to punch above it's weight class.
08-28-2018, 12:55 PM   #44

Another vote for Q7 with 08 Zoom, 01 Prime and 06 Zoom.
08-29-2018, 11:26 PM   #45
dbs
Pentaxian

Funny you should say that...last night I was out at an event and had my minimalist kit...my K1 and 40mm Limited. That 40mm Limited is quite a versatile lens and the image quality is very sharp. One of my favourite lenses...whether attached to an ASP-C body or the K-1.

I also note that a few posters carry around a Canon G series. I find my G12 a very useful small camera...all it's DSLR controls and ability to use a regular flashgun...yep it has a small sensor but the little 'G' usually seems to punch above it's weight class.
Hi Les

The 40 ltd is my camera mount cap when I go out
the other ltd's have their turn later

Dave