Hang 'em High
Maverick
True Grit
The Shootist

Sci-fi
Westworld
Planet 51
Ghost in the Shell (anime version)
MIB II (Lara Flynn Boyle in lingerie moves this sequel up on my list)
Men in Black
The Book of Eli
A Boy and his Dog

**Dishonorable mention
The Postman. The book was terrific! I was so disgusted with what Costner did to the story that I haven't seen a Costner movie since then.

07-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
I haven't seen Appaloosa but would guess this might be why Ed Harris got cast in the tv series Westworld, where he does a fine job as well.
Many references in Westworld to the Western classics, and a nod to Japan in the second series, with a couple of Samurai episodes.

Far, far better than the original novel and movie, just a different level of sophistication altogether.
07-19-2018, 08:53 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
While watching Bullit today I was attempting to explain to my grandson, why Steverino was the King of Cool. Not sure I've convinced him completely...yet.
Show him The Great Escape, with the motorbike scene, and see if that changes his mind.
07-19-2018, 09:05 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
not sure what you mean by " Cow Boy " movies, but since it is your list of your favorites I can't argue

but I am curious

I like many of the films you have listed and there are some I haven't seen.

of the ones I have seen,

I would not consider the Treasure or the Hatfield or Django or No Country " cow boy " films

happy to see you listed the Tom Selleck films

I edited my OP, meaning "Top 10 Best Westerns of All Time." I suppose there's a BIG difference between "cowboy" and "western" movies.

07-19-2018, 10:20 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My favourites would include SOLDIER BLUE, it left a lasting impression on me though I will happily admit it was not a great western movie and LONESOME DOVE because it surprised me when I enjoyed it so much.
07-19-2018, 10:39 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Show him The Great Escape, with the motorbike scene, and see if that changes his mind.
I would but his parents don't want any encouragement for him to ride motorcycles and they have valid safety concerns. He's many years (15 1/2 years ) from getting a driver's license.

His old grandfather (me) rode motorcycles for many years and I still have two...one a '67 Matchless (Norton) 750cc Scrambler (G15 CS) and a '78 Yamaha SR 500, while his uncle (my son) rides a BMW GS. Somehow Grandfather and Uncle will have to figure out how to hide our motorcycles when he's around.
07-19-2018, 10:56 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am partial to The Outlaw Joesy Wales. Judge Roy Bean too. Had to mention them and The Revenant for newer ones.
Related to this I like watching the old tv shows from about 70 years ago with actors portraying people from about 70 years earlier. Cheyenne and Maverick in particular.

07-19-2018, 11:23 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
Neill Blomkamp, the Distric9 director came up with an idea for what would have reportedly ignored the events of Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection. After sharing some concept art online. Fox jumped on the idea and Blomkamp started developing it. Sadly,... SADLY, Ridley Scott wanted to make his Prometheus sequel!
IMO, the last 2 sequels/prequel/spinoff whatever Ridley want to call it, I don't really care any more ... to me, he totally destroyed the franchise he created.
I realize I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed the Prometheus sequel and have watched it a couple of times now and once with the director's commentary. I think a lot of people are fine with reboots, or endless sequels, I tire pretty quickly these days. I want original stories and felt this one was just different enough to keep my interest and keep me guessing as to what might happen next. The battle onboard the lander (?) was an incredible action scene and there were a couple kill scenes in there that rank among the franchise's best, IMO.

Prometheus, I'll give you was very dull from what I remember. Although I suppose it's been long enough now that I should give it a second viewing, along with many of the westerns mentioned.

I hope they make more Alien movies and would welcome Blomkamp's--District 9 is among my favorite sci-fi movies as well.

Last edited by JHfwp; 07-19-2018 at 11:43 PM.
07-19-2018, 11:36 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Josey Wales, Pale Rider, Heaven's Gate.

There are others I've enjoyed, but those three I go back to again and again.
07-19-2018, 11:44 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I would but his parents don't want any encouragement for him to ride motorcycles and they have valid safety concerns. He's many years (15 1/2 years ) from getting a driver's license.

His old grandfather (me) rode motorcycles for many years and I still have two...one a '67 Matchless (Norton) 750cc Scrambler (G15 CS) and a '78 Yamaha SR 500, while his uncle (my son) rides a BMW GS. Somehow Grandfather and Uncle will have to figure out how to hide our motorcycles when he's around.
I reckon de facto censorship is a flawed model for parenthood, Les, but I'll leave that up to his family.

Just remember, you're the grandparent, in other areas you've got a duty passed down the ages to be reckless and secretly spoil him in spite of their wishes.
07-20-2018, 12:22 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I would play along, but I don't think there are 10 westerns I could list.

I'll go with Sci-Fi movies
  • Star Wars Episodes IV-VIII (I'm not going to list them separately so I'll cheat. Episodes I-III would among the worst.)
  • Forbidden Planet (The film all other Sci-Fi films are judged by)
  • The Fifth Element (Leeloo Dallas Multipass)
  • Alien (The standard for Sci-Fi horror and the real monster is a corporation)
  • Robocop (Underrated movie about a corporation)
  • Alien Nation (Buddy cop film with an alien cop. What's not to love?)
  • They Live (I'm here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.)
  • Blade Runner (This only applies to the director's cut)
  • Logan's Run ('70s Sci-Fi is sometimes so bad that it's good. See The Omega Man, A Boy and His Dog, Westworld, Rollerball, Zardoz, Soylent Green, etc)
  • Tron (Greetings, programs.)
I am a bit surprised, and glad to see a Top 10 sci-fi list in a western movies thred because i also am quite a sci-fi fan. i saw a few from the list, but will be checking the other ones out.

Sadly i cannot contribute to this thread because i am really bad at lists, the ones i saw a long time ago have been forgotten, even i liked them a lot. A few that i really enjoyed were Contact and The Abys.
07-20-2018, 03:25 AM   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I edited my OP, meaning "Top 10 Best Westerns of All Time." I suppose there's a BIG difference between "cowboy" and "western" movies.
ok. now that is clearer
07-20-2018, 05:39 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I am partial to The Outlaw Joesy Wales. Judge Roy Bean too. Had to mention them and The Revenant for newer ones.
Related to this I like watching the old tv shows from about 70 years ago with actors portraying people from about 70 years earlier. Cheyenne and Maverick in particular.

Yep, two thumbs up for all three.... The Outlaw Josey Wales, Judge Roy Bean and The Revenant. Leonardo DeCaprio is a fantastic actor in just about any genre he tries. Have you seen "Shutter Island"?
07-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Yep, two thumbs up for all three.... The Outlaw Josey Wales, Judge Roy Bean and The Revenant. Leonardo DeCaprio is a fantastic actor in just about any genre he tries. Have you seen "Shutter Island"?
Never even heard of shutter island until now.
07-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Josey Wales would definitely be in my top 10 - and while with Mr Eastwood, I rather enjoy High Plains Drifter - as well as the semi-remake crossed with Shane, Pale Rider

Last edited by ffking; 07-20-2018 at 11:22 PM.