My Personal "Top 10 Westerns of All Time."

My Personal "Top 10 Westerns of AllTime.”
  • The Unforgiven w/ Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman & Gene Hackman
  • Tombstone w/ Kurt Russell & Val Kilmer
  • Open range w/ Robert DuVall and Kevin Costner
  • Lonesome Dove w/ Robert DuVall
  • Appaloosa w/ Ed Harris & Vigo Mortensen
  • Broken Trail w/ Robert DuVall
  • The Homesman w/ Tommy Lee Jones & Hillary Swank (Perhaps the "best of the best!" Superb acting!)
  • True Grit w/ Jeff Bridges
  • Crossfire Trail w/ Tom Selleck
  • Dances With Wolves w/ Kevin Costner
Honorable Mention: (They're just too good to be left out!)
  • 3:10 to Yuma w/ Russell Crow & Christian Bale
  • Quigly Down Under w/ Tom Selleck
  • The Outlaw Josey Wales w/ Clint Eastwood
  • Hombre w/ Paul Newman
  • The Treasure of The Sierra Madre w/ Humphrey Bogart.
  • The Missing w/ Tommy Lee Jones
  • Django Unchained w/ Jamie Foxx
  • No Country for Old Men w/ Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin & Javier Bardem
  • The Hatfields & The McCoys w/ Kevin Costner & Bill Paxton
  • Conagher w/ Sam Elliott
Note: I realize there are no John Wayne movies included in MY list, but he's never been a favorite actor of mine. Sorry.

Last edited by Dewman; 07-19-2018 at 09:03 PM.
07-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
not sure what you mean by " Cow Boy " movies, but since it is your list of your favorites I can't argue

but I am curious

I like many of the films you have listed and there are some I haven't seen.

of the ones I have seen,

I would not consider the Treasure or the Hatfield or Django or No Country " cow boy " films

happy to see you listed the Tom Selleck films
07-19-2018, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would play along, but I don't think there are 10 westerns I could list.

I'll go with Sci-Fi movies
  • Star Wars Episodes IV-VIII (I'm not going to list them separately so I'll cheat. Episodes I-III would among the worst.)
  • Forbidden Planet (The film all other Sci-Fi films are judged by)
  • The Fifth Element (Leeloo Dallas Multipass)
  • Alien (The standard for Sci-Fi horror and the real monster is a corporation)
  • Robocop (Underrated movie about a corporation)
  • Alien Nation (Buddy cop film with an alien cop. What's not to love?)
  • They Live (I'm here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.)
  • Blade Runner (This only applies to the director's cut)
  • Logan's Run ('70s Sci-Fi is sometimes so bad that it's good. See The Omega Man, A Boy and His Dog, Westworld, Rollerball, Zardoz, Soylent Green, etc)
  • Tron (Greetings, programs.)
07-19-2018, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Nice pick.
However, Cowboys & Aliens should be on everyone's list.

07-19-2018, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" because it just slides from one superb visual cliché to another.
Also "Valdez is Coming" with Burt Lancaster.
07-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I realize there are no John Wayne movies included in MY list, but he's never been a favorite actor of mine. Sorry
I'm not a fan either - just seems to be himself all the time, no acting involved - but we've got to give him 'The Searchers', I reckon!
07-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I would play along, but I don't think there are 10 westerns I could list.

I'll go with Sci-Fi movies
  • Star Wars Episodes IV-VIII (I'm not going to list them separately so I'll cheat. Episodes I-III would among the worst.)
  • Forbidden Planet (The film all other Sci-Fi films are judged by)
  • The Fifth Element (Leeloo Dallas Multipass)
  • Alien (The standard for Sci-Fi horror and the real monster is a corporation)
  • Robocop (Underrated movie about a corporation)
  • Alien Nation (Buddy cop film with an alien cop. What's not to love?)
  • They Live (I'm here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.)
  • Blade Runner (This only applies to the director's cut)
  • Logan's Run ('70s Sci-Fi is sometimes so bad that it's good. See The Omega Man, A Boy and His Dog, Westworld, Rollerball, Zardoz, Soylent Green, etc)
  • Tron (Greetings, programs.)
If you haven't seen it, Boris, check out 'District 9'.

07-19-2018, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If you haven't seen it, Boris, check out 'District 9'.
Neill Blomkamp, the Distric9 director came up with an idea for what would have reportedly ignored the events of Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection. After sharing some concept art online. Fox jumped on the idea and Blomkamp started developing it. Sadly,... SADLY, Ridley Scott wanted to make his Prometheus sequel!
IMO, the last 2 sequels/prequel/spinoff whatever Ridley want to call it, I don't really care any more ... to me, he totally destroyed the franchise he created.
07-19-2018, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I'm not a fan either - just seems to be himself all the time, no acting involved - but we've got to give him 'The Searchers', I reckon!
John Wayne is Westerns. Of course the Searchers in on the list - it has to be on an imaging-oriented site, if only for the iconic ‘backlit through the door’ shot. But I have to ask: Where are - in no particular order
  • True Grit?
  • Butch Cassidy (not that it’s a great film, but it is an icon).
  • Shane?
  • My Darling Clementine?
  • Red River?
  • High Noon?
  • The Professionals?
  • The Magnificent Seven? (From Seven Samauri - Akiro Kurosawa) and possibly the best movie score of all time
  • Stage Coach?
  • The John Ford Trilogy? He invented the art form, and the cinematography and light are outstanding!
Someone else can take it from here.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-19-2018 at 06:07 PM.
07-19-2018, 05:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I haven't seen a lot of westerns, but I'll definitely go with the Unforgiven as #1

'I don't deserve to die like this."
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

"I've always been lucky at killing people."

Last edited by normhead; 07-19-2018 at 05:31 PM.
07-19-2018, 05:24 PM   #11

I like your list... Seen many but will have to look up the others. Thanks!
07-19-2018, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
John Wayne is Westerns. Of course the Searchers in on the list - it has to be on an imaging-oriented site, if only for the iconic ‘backlot through the door’ shot. But I have to ask: Where are - in no particular order
  • True Grit?
  • Butch Cassidy (not that it’s a great film, but it is an icon).
  • Shane?
  • My Darling Clementine?
  • Red River?
  • High Noon?
  • The Professionals?
  • The Magnificent Seven? (From Seven Samauri - Akiro Kurosawa) and possibly the best movie score of all time
  • Stage Coach?
  • The John Ford Trilogy? He invented the art form, and the cinematography and light are outstanding!
Someone else can take it from here.
Kurosawa really informs both the Western and SF lists.

His Seven Samurai gave us The Magnificent Seven and his The Hidden Fortress was the inspiration for Star Wars (the Jedi knights are really samurai!).
07-19-2018, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #13

Let's see, top 10 Westerns, as I see it? Well, based on the ones I'll stop and rewatch when they're on TV, or I'll toss my DVD or BluRay copy in to watch, because I haven't come across it on TV recently enough, here's my list, in no particular order:

1. Lonesome Dove - "It ain't dyin' I'm talking about, Woodrow, it's livin'!"
2. Riders of the Purple Sage - an old Zane Grey story made into a movie (perhaps for TV?) with Ed Harris, who is always a great cowboy
3. The Shootist - The Duke's last film, and more introspective than his prior westerns
4. The Cowboys - Again, John Wayne, but with a great story and some beautiful cinematography, IMO
5. Open Range - I really enjoy the frankness of Costner's character
6. Broken Trail - Good story, again, and Duvall and Church make an unanticipated great pairing
7. Pale Rider - The prototypical western, but well acted, well shot, and some terrific lines (and a few stumbled ones, but nothing is perfect)
8. Shane - again, prototypical western, and well done for the time. It was a favorite of my dad's, so now that he's gone, I watch it whenever I can
9. Apaloosa - this one surprised me. Maybe because I like Ed Harris as an actor, but I didn't think I'd like this one. Turned out very well done.
10. Young Guns - it's not a cinematic masterpiece, and it's not the best dialogue consistently, but the story is good, the theme is timeless, and it's an awful lot of fun seeing all those "kids" on the screen before they grew up and either disappeared from the screen or became drunken sots. Only a couple have remained above the usual traps of Hollywood.

There are others I like - Quigley, Rio Bravo, and many more. But these are the ones I stop for, consistently. If I had to pick a favorite, I really think it would have to be Lonesome Dove. McMurtry's book was better than the series, but the group of stars in that film ultimately created a masterpiece by the time Gus was buried in his Pecan Orchard outside San Antonio.

And I'll add one thing about The Duke - my favorite movie of his isn't even a western. It's Otto Preminger's "In Harm's Way." If you haven't seen it, you need to. A masterful work of absolute art.
07-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are really 50 or so iconic Westerns and any Top Ten list is a subjective matter of personal preference. I tend to favor the foundation films over the derivatives, but there have been some really excellent derivative Westerns, like Star Wars.
07-19-2018, 06:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
not sure what you mean by " Cow Boy " movies