Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2018, 06:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No Roy Rogers, or Gene Autry movies mentioned??

07-19-2018, 06:51 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No mention of The man who shot Liberty Valance.A classic.
07-19-2018, 06:55 PM   #18
Pentaxian

For Westerns I generally like Randolph Scott movies, some John Wayne movies. I also like the Hopalong Cassidy movies...they were about an hour long, made in the '30's and '40's and starred Bill Boyd.

Other movies, not necessarily westerns, but just darn good movies, would include my favourite of all time North by Northwest. I also like Bullit and I'm also a real fan of the Film Noire programming , Sunday mornings on Turner Classic Movies (TCM), with presenter Eddie Muller.

Eddie is an expert on Film Noire, his movie selections are top notch and his 'behind the scenes' background on both the movies and the actors...highly entertaining. It's one of the few must see programs I watch.
07-19-2018, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Kurosawa really informs both the Western and SF lists.

His Seven Samurai gave us The Magnificent Seven and his The Hidden Fortress was the inspiration for Star Wars (the Jedi knights are really samurai!).
In some of the original concept art the Storm Troopers had swords too.

07-19-2018, 07:05 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I haven't seen a lot of westerns, but I'll definitely go with the Unforgiven as #1

'I don't deserve to die like this."
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

"I've always been lucky at killing people."

Yep, Norm.... The Unforgiven is one heck of a Western. Gene Hackman played a magnificent "Little Bill Daggett."
07-19-2018, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
For Westerns I generally like Randolph Scott movies, some John Wayne movies. I also like the Hopalong Cassidy movies...they were about an hour long, made in the '30's and '40's and starred Bill Boyd.

Other movies, not necessarily westerns, but just darn good movies, would include my favourite of all time North by Northwest. I also like Bullit and I'm also a real fan of the Film Noire programming , Sunday mornings on Turner Classic Movies (TCM), with presenter Eddie Muller.

Eddie is an expert on Film Noire, his movie selections are top notch and his 'behind the scenes' background on both the movies and the actors...highly entertaining. It's one of the few must see programs I watch.
Bullitt ended 2 minutes ago - Steve McQueen week on TCM. Starting The Sand Pebbles. @17Dew I considered putting LibertyValance in my What About? List above. It should go in place of Butch Cassidy, but that’s why I wrote there are probably 50 Best Westerns and selecting 10 is subjective.
07-19-2018, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
No Roy Rogers, or Gene Autry movies mentioned??
QuoteQuote:
Hans Gruber: [on the radio] Mr. Mystery Guest? Are you still there?

John McClane: Yeah, I'm still here. Unless you wanna open the front door for me.

Hans Gruber: Uh, no, I'm afraid not. But, you have me at a loss. You know my name but who are you? Just another American who saw too many movies as a child? Another orphan of a bankrupt culture who thinks he's John Wayne? Rambo? Marshal Dillon?

John McClane: Was always kinda partial to Roy Rogers actually. I really like those sequined shirts.

Hans Gruber: Do you really think you have a chance against us, Mr. Cowboy?

John McClane: Yippee-ki-yay, m...........
Amazing. Not only is Die Hard a Christmas movie but it's a cowboy movie too

07-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dubyam Quote
Let's see, top 10 Westerns, as I see it? Well, based on the ones I'll stop and rewatch when they're on TV, or I'll toss my DVD or BluRay copy in to watch, because I haven't come across it on TV recently enough, here's my list, in no particular order:

1. Lonesome Dove - "It ain't dyin' I'm talking about, Woodrow, it's livin'!"
2. Riders of the Purple Sage - an old Zane Grey story made into a movie (perhaps for TV?) with Ed Harris, who is always a great cowboy
3. The Shootist - The Duke's last film, and more introspective than his prior westerns
4. The Cowboys - Again, John Wayne, but with a great story and some beautiful cinematography, IMO
5. Open Range - I really enjoy the frankness of Costner's character
6. Broken Trail - Good story, again, and Duvall and Church make an unanticipated great pairing
7. Pale Rider - The prototypical western, but well acted, well shot, and some terrific lines (and a few stumbled ones, but nothing is perfect)
8. Shane - again, prototypical western, and well done for the time. It was a favorite of my dad's, so now that he's gone, I watch it whenever I can
9. Apaloosa - this one surprised me. Maybe because I like Ed Harris as an actor, but I didn't think I'd like this one. Turned out very well done.
10. Young Guns - it's not a cinematic masterpiece, and it's not the best dialogue consistently, but the story is good, the theme is timeless, and it's an awful lot of fun seeing all those "kids" on the screen before they grew up and either disappeared from the screen or became drunken sots. Only a couple have remained above the usual traps of Hollywood.

There are others I like - Quigley, Rio Bravo, and many more. But these are the ones I stop for, consistently. If I had to pick a favorite, I really think it would have to be Lonesome Dove. McMurtry's book was better than the series, but the group of stars in that film ultimately created a masterpiece by the time Gus was buried in his Pecan Orchard outside San Antonio.

And I'll add one thing about The Duke - my favorite movie of his isn't even a western. It's Otto Preminger's "In Harm's Way." If you haven't seen it, you need to. A masterful work of absolute art.

You are most definitely right about "Appaloosa." I was not prepared for what a magnificent part Ed Harris played. And Vigo Mortensen was great as "Virgil," too. Renee Zellwegger turned in a wonderful performance. What a snake she was! You might be surprised to know that it was written by Robert B. Parker, of the "Jessie Stone" series of books.

I loved "Broken Trail." A great story line, based somewhat on a true story. I had only seen Church in the TV series, so I wasn't expecting such an award-winning performance he turned in. A very good movie, but I've never seen a Duvall western I DIDN'T like!
07-19-2018, 07:54 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Bullitt ended 2 minutes ago - Steve McQueen week on TCM. Starting The Sand Pebbles. @17Dew I considered putting LibertyValance in my What About? List above. It should go in place of Butch Cassidy, but that’s why I wrote there are probably 50 Best Westerns and selecting 10 is subjective.
I watched Bullit on TCM tonight. It's one of those movies ..if it is on...invariably I'll tune it in, like I do with North by Northwest. While watching Bullit today I was attempting to explain to my grandson, why Steverino was the King of Cool. Not sure I've convinced him completely...yet.

Liberty Valance is a great movie. Lee Marvin as the sociopath Valance and Strother Martin as his weaselly sidekick who was always revving Valance up are wonderful in this movie.

I like Butch Cassidy , but I prefer Liberty Valance. The characters in Liberty Valance are well - drawn IMO.
07-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
You are most definitely right about "Appaloosa." I was not prepared for what a magnificent part Ed Harris played. And Vigo Mortensen was great as "Virgil," too. Renee Zellwegger turned in a wonderful performance. What a snake she was! You might be surprised to know that it was written by Robert B. Parker, of the "Jessie Stone" series of books.

I loved "Broken Trail." A great story line, based somewhat on a true story. I had only seen Church in the TV series, so I wasn't expecting such an award-winning performance he turned in. A very good movie, but I've never seen a Duvall western I DIDN'T like!
My wife and girls have been Vigo fans since prior to LOTR. Good movie.
07-19-2018, 08:12 PM - 3 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

Speaking of Lee Marvin, Cat Ballou was a fun western.

07-19-2018, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I watched Bullit on TCM tonight. It's one of those movies ..if it is on...invariably I'll tune it in, like I do with North by Northwest. While watching Bullit today I was attempting to explain to my grandson, why Steverino was the King of Cool. Not sure I've convinced him completely...yet.

Liberty Valance is a great movie. Lee Marvin as the sociopath Valance and Strother Martin as his weaselly sidekick who was always revving Valance up are wonderful in this movie.

I like Butch Cassidy , but I prefer Liberty Valance. The characters in Liberty Valance are well - drawn IMO.
It’s really a Jimmy Stewart movie with part of John Wayne’s ensemble cast - one of our faves. We have most of the best 50 on Blu-Ray or DVD. My wife watched all of Bullitt for the first time tonight and she said - now that she’s seen the first twenty minutes so it makes sense - it’s a pretty good movie. S McQ is another of our fave actors.
07-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad to see some I can add to my to-see list (and after looking it up putting Lonesome Dove at the top). The ones I've seen and can remember enough about to therefore rank have a lot to do with my venture down the top 250 list on imdb that I did for a couple years filling in the gaps. From my sample, the 60's was a great decade for Westerns. I haven't seen Appaloosa but would guess this might be why Ed Harris got cast in the tv series Westworld, where he does a fine job as well.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
Unforgiven (1992)
For a Few Dollars More (1965)
A Fistful of Dollars (1964)
True Grit (2010)
Django Unchained (2012)
The Hateful Eight (2015)
Tombstone (1993)
07-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #29

Okay, so branching out, in addition to In Harm's Way, I also frequently stop to watch To Catch A Thief, Father Goose, Operation Petticoat, Charade, North By Northwest, The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, The Big Sleep, Dark Passage, The African Queen, Sabrina, How to Steal a Million, and any of several old musicals from the 40s and 50s.
07-19-2018, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dubyam Quote
And I'll add one thing about The Duke - my favorite movie of his isn't even a western. It's Otto Preminger's "In Harm's Way." If you haven't seen it, you need to. A masterful work of absolute art.
The Quiet Man should feature alongside that movie, too, even though I'm not a big fan of Marion Morrison, either.