Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2018, 04:18 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Made for TV movie Evil Roy Slade makes me laugh just thinking about some of the lines.

07-21-2018, 06:03 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In honor of this thread we loaded up El Dorado tonight. John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, James Caan as Mississippi, Ed Asner, Arthur Honeycutt as ‘Bull’ and model Charlene Holt as Maudie. Directed by Howard Hawks, this movie is a classic Western theme (a Range War) but not anywhere near a Top Ten Western.

My wife’s great great grandfather was in Cimarron, NM at the time of the Lincoln County War, which is the historic conflict including Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid that’s the basis of the classic Western narrative of bringing in hired guns to fight a battle on behalf of wealthy business interests (most often independent cattlemen in Westerns, but merchants who financed rustlers, loan sharked and bought politicians in the real history). Shortly afterward John S. sold his New Mexico and Trinidad and Las Animas, Colorado businesses and mines and consolidated his merchant businesses and two mines in Lake City, CO. He was earlier the Delegate to the Colorado Territorial Convention from the area south of the Purgatoire.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-21-2018 at 06:33 PM.
07-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #63
Pentaxian

I'm a little late to this thread but my favorite western is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. It's a great story and one of Eli Wallach's best performances. Probably I would list Unforgiven as number two. I could go down the list of several Clint Eastwood westerns. Some are better than others but none of them are bad. The older version of True Grit is also a favorite. John Wayne at his best!

I also enjoyed Silverado although a lot of critics panned it. Probably the most recent western I have seen was the Hateful Eight. The story got sillier the longer the movie went on but is beautiful to watch because it was filmed in 70mm, something that is rare these days and has all the strangeness you expect from a Tarantino movie. Going further back, The Magnificent Seven is pure classic and shouldn't be missed by any western fan who was too young to have seen it in the theater. Viva Zapata! is another must see and I have to add High Noon also. More of a Civil War story than a western, I always liked Shenandoah, too.
07-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If any of you have Netflix, you might want to give "The Homesman" a look. It stars Tommy Lee Jones & Hillary Swank. Some top rate actors and a great story line.

07-22-2018, 03:30 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Paul Newman in Hombre. Talking to the Mexican sent up to the mine shack on top of the hill.
You're half right. Paul Newman said it, but he said it to Richard Boone (Grimes) not the Mexican. One of my favorite movies too, with a lot of good quotes.

My top 10 is similar to yours but would have to include High Noon (Gary Cooper), Shane, Conager, and Stagecoach (the remake with Van Heflin, yeah I know, I'm probably the only one that likes this better than the John Wayne original).

Also, thanks for the tip on "The Homesman". Netflix and Amazon Prime are about the only TV we watch.
07-22-2018, 04:01 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
You're half right. Paul Newman said it, but he said it to Richard Boone (Grimes) not the Mexican. One of my favorite movies too, with a lot of good quotes.

My top 10 is similar to yours but would have to include High Noon (Gary Cooper), Shane, Conager, and Stagecoach (the remake with Van Heflin, yeah I know, I'm probably the only one that likes this better than the John Wayne original).

Also, thanks for the tip on "The Homesman". Netflix and Amazon Prime are about the only TV we watch.

Jim, let me know what you thought about "The Homesman." I thought there should have been some Oscars handed out for the acting! Both Tommy Lee Jones AND Hillary Swank turned in what I thought were superb acting performances!

If you watch Netflix much, you might want to take a look at "Wind River," with Jeremy Renner. I watched it a couple of nights ago and liked it.
07-22-2018, 07:17 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Jim, let me know what you thought about "The Homesman." I thought there should have been some Oscars handed out for the acting! Both Tommy Lee Jones AND Hillary Swank turned in what I thought were superb acting performances!

If you watch Netflix much, you might want to take a look at "Wind River," with Jeremy Renner. I watched it a couple of nights ago and liked it.
WIND RIVER Trailer (2017) - YouTube
I can't watch Tommy Lee Jones movies anymore without thinking what Gregory Heisler had to say about him in a video I watched on Youtube. Apparently Mr Jones was the most awful person he had ever had the pleasure of meeting. I'll admit he's pretty good at what he does, acting like a mean SOB, even if he's basically not acting most of the time.

I would like to see this one. I wonder if there are more movies along the lines of this and No Country for Old Men, that are basically Westerns set in modern day times, that people here can recommend.

07-23-2018, 01:31 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
I can't watch Tommy Lee Jones movies anymore without thinking what Gregory Heisler had to say about him in a video I watched on Youtube. Apparently Mr Jones was the most awful person he had ever had the pleasure of meeting. I'll admit he's pretty good at what he does, acting like a mean SOB, even if he's basically not acting most of the time.

I would like to see this one. I wonder if there are more movies along the lines of this and No Country for Old Men, that are basically Westerns set in modern day times, that people here can recommend.

There are many fine movies that have actors in them that I don't particularly care for, such as Jennifer Lawrence, Robert DiNero, Russell Crowe, et.al., but I try to put my personal feelings aside and just enjoy the production for it's entertainment value alone. But, I understand where you're coming from. To each his own, but I will say, you'll deny yourself a very good, very moving presentation in "The Homesman" if you let these feelings stand in your way.

While I'm at it, I might also recommend "Winter's Bone," with Jennifer Lawrence. A very tense movie, again with some mighty fine acting.
07-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #69
Veteran Member

There are many fine movies that have actors in them that I don't particularly care for, such as Jennifer Lawrence, Robert DiNero, Russell Crowe, et.al., but I try to put my personal feelings aside and just enjoy the production for it's entertainment value alone. But, I understand where you're coming from. To each his own, but I will say, you'll deny yourself a very good, very moving presentation in "The Homesman" if you let these feelings stand in your way.

While I'm at it, I might also recommend "Winter's Bone," with Jennifer Lawrence. A very tense movie, again with some mighty fine acting.
I actually plan to watch The Homesman. Sorry I didn't make that clearer. I've read some bad reviews online for it, but the people I've actually spoken with about it, including yourself, say it was excellent.

I did see Winter's Bone and, while it was far from what I would call exciting, felt it was pretty good. Jennifer Lawrence was, as you said, very good in it. (I share your feelings on her too. I thought she was a nice enough kid for a while, but find her scuzzy now.)

My point was sometimes it's hard for me to stop thinking about an actor's bad behavior while enjoying their performance. In general I try to steer clear of their films, but if the movie is good I'll give it a try.

Edit: Wait, I confused The Homesman with Wind River. Guess I'll have to give them both a try. I'm falling behind on movie watching!

Last edited by JHfwp; 07-23-2018 at 11:23 AM.
07-24-2018, 07:37 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Ok, I'm not going to make a list because there are too many western and Sci-fi films I like.

I am a big John Wayne fan and I like all of his movies. The funny thing is, my favorite move of all time is a John Wayne movie but it is not a western or a war movie. It is a movie that is very loosely based on some of the things Red Adar did up to when the movie was made. The name of the movie is Hellfighters. John Wayne is the owner of a oil well blowout and fire suppression company and travails the world putting out oil well fires. Like I said, the movie is based on things that Red Adar and his helpers, Asger "Boots" Hansen and Ed "Coots" Matthews, did in the 1950's and 60's.

Before I bought the movie Hellfighters on DVD or VHS, I had seen this movie close to 200 times.
07-25-2018, 01:38 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Akiro Kurosawa 'Tampopo' as spaghetti as they come....
07-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #72
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Akiro Kurosawa 'Tampopo' as spaghetti as they come....
Don't know about that one, Bob, but his 'Yojimbo' was ripped off for 'A Fistful of Dollars'.

Sergio Leone was sued about this.

07-27-2018, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Today is National Day of the Cowboy. I’ll just put up these images from my wife’s blog post today to see how you respond.

John Wayne, Steve McQueen and Robert Preston, Viggo Mortensen, John Wayne and Montgomery Clift, Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones, Alan Ladd, Dean Martin, Clint Eastwood, and Jimmy Stewart. Who is your favorite?
Attached Images

07-27-2018, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

I tried to come up with a favourite for best cowboy, but I wrestled with this one ...so here's my indecisive list:

Toss up between John Wayne and Steve McQueen....for movie cowboy.

For TV cowboy, hands down, has to be Clint Eastwood in the series Rawhide.

For my favourite era (1940's, 1950's) of cowboy movies it's a toss up between 'Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea.

Best psychotic in either a cowboy role (The Man who shot Liberty Valance) or biker role ( Chino in Rebel without a cause) is Lee Marvin....with honorary mention to Bruce Dern.

In addition I have to give a tip of the cowboy hat to Jimmy Stewart and Glen Ford. These two were exceptional actors...in westerns and all other movies...and it didn't hurt that Ford was Canadian born...me being a Canuck.
07-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #75
Pentaxian

I just remembered The Little Big Man. Forest Gump is kind of the opposite of Dustin Hoffman's character, Jack Crab. An intelligent man in a crazy world, instead of a simple man in an evolving world. Either way life is a box of chocolates.
Chief Dan George was nominated for best supporting actor.

Last edited by swanlefitte; 07-27-2018 at 08:01 PM.