Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2018, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I tried to come up with a favourite for best cowboy, but I wrestled with this one ...so here's my indecisive list:

Toss up between John Wayne and Steve McQueen....for movie cowboy.

For TV cowboy, hands down, has to be Clint Eastwood in the series Rawhide.

For my favourite era (1940's, 1950's) of cowboy movies it's a toss up between 'Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea.

Best psychotic in either a cowboy role (The Man who shot Liberty Valance) or biker role ( Chino in Rebel without a cause) is Lee Marvin....with honorary mention to Bruce Dern.

In addition I have to give a tip of the cowboy hat to Jimmy Stewart and Glen Ford. These two were exceptional actors...in westerns and all other movies...and it didn't hurt that Ford was Canadian born...me being a Canuck.

Even though I'm a crusty old coot, I don't care much for the "Old Timey" westerns. I'm more of a Robert DuVal, Ed Harris, Viggo Mortensen, Thomas Haden Church, Clint Eastwood, Tommy Lee Jones, Tom Selleck, Sam Elliott, Kevin Costner fan. Now, keep in mind, this is just MY own personal favorites.... that's not meant to say that any of the other "older' actors aren't good.... just not my personal cup of tea.

07-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If "Little Big Man" is a western, I'll go with that.

And the Clint Eastwood movie is "Unforgiven", not "The Unforgiven". (Like "Grand Canyon" is not "the Grand Canyon" :-)
07-28-2018, 01:13 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Jim, let me know what you thought about "The Homesman." I thought there should have been some Oscars handed out for the acting! Both Tommy Lee Jones AND Hillary Swank turned in what I thought were superb acting performances!

If you watch Netflix much, you might want to take a look at "Wind River," with Jeremy Renner. I watched it a couple of nights ago and liked it.
I enjoyed both The Homesman and Wind River but The Homesman was definitely the better movie. Wind River had a lot of action but a little too much (gratuitous) violence and a simple story line.

It's been fun seeing everyone's likes (and dislikes). I've been reminded of a few actors I haven't thought of in years. Glenn Ford for example had a couple of good westerns and Bruce Dern played a great bad guy .

For TV shows, I'm I the only one that remembers The Cisco Kid (with Duncan Renaldo)? One of my favs as a youngster.
07-28-2018, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #79

If I recall correctly, Bruce Dern is the bad guy in "The Cowboys" with John Wayne. He's a good bad guy, for sure.

07-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #80
Pentaxian

Even though I'm a crusty old coot, I don't care much for the "Old Timey" westerns. I'm more of a Robert DuVal, Ed Harris, Viggo Mortensen, Thomas Haden Church, Clint Eastwood, Tommy Lee Jones, Tom Selleck, Sam Elliott, Kevin Costner fan. Now, keep in mind, this is just MY own personal favorites.... that's not meant to say that any of the other "older' actors aren't good.... just not my personal cup of tea.
I'm a charter member of the of the Honourable Association of Crusty Coots. In fact I'm the Sergeant at Arms of our local chapter, up here.

Clint Eastwood, Tommy Lee Jones and Tom Selleck I think are excellent modern day actors. Others are good too. There was a movie, Quigley I think it was, where Tom Selleck was a gun for hire, went to frontier Australia, had a long distance Sharps buffalo rifle...top notch movie.

I've often wondered why Tom Selleck wasn't a bigger star than he became...he's up there no doubt, but I've always seen him at the top of the pile...acting wise. Saw him first in Rockford Files as Lance, than Magnum PI. Heard that he was first choice to star in Indiana Jones...but due to contractual arrangements couldn't be released. As good as Harrison Ford is in the role, I think this would of been a perfect role for Selleck and may have further ignited his career.

BTW, forgot to mention another TV/ movie western actor that is great is James Garner.

---------- Post added 07-28-18 at 04:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dubyam Quote
If I recall correctly, Bruce Dern is the bad guy in "The Cowboys" with John Wayne. He's a good bad guy, for sure.
He was. I believe he might of been the only actor to 'kill' John Wayne in a movie. Hard to say how this affected his career.
07-28-2018, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Personally, I think two of Tom Selleck's best westerns were "Crossfire Trail" and "Monte Walsh." Although not a western, his series of Jessie Stone movies, based on James Parker's novels were top notch. The character development was perhaps the best I've ever seen. It shows the lead character with all his flaws and plays heavily on them. Selleck not only starred in them, but also directed some of them, and also wrote a few. He's quite a talented man.... and from all appearances I've seen of him, a fine human being, also. That's a rare thing nowadays in Hollywood.

---------- Post added 07-28-18 at 04:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
I enjoyed both The Homesman and Wind River but The Homesman was definitely the better movie. Wind River had a lot of action but a little too much (gratuitous) violence and a simple story line.

It's been fun seeing everyone's likes (and dislikes). I've been reminded of a few actors I haven't thought of in years. Glenn Ford for example had a couple of good westerns and Bruce Dern played a great bad guy .

For TV shows, I'm I the only one that remembers The Cisco Kid (with Duncan Renaldo)? One of my favs as a youngster.

"Oh Cisco!...... Oh, Pancho!" Of course, I remember The Cisco Kid! There was a Saturday afternoon matinee called "The Bar-7 Theater that was geared to the younger set and Cisco and Pancho were regulars. How about Shotgun Slade and Lash Larue? Remember them?

I thought the modern version of The Lone Ranger was a hoot! Johnny Depp was superb as Tonto! So much tongue-in-cheek dialogue, it was almost like trying to keep up with Robin Williams in one of his standup routines!
07-28-2018, 04:14 PM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hidalgo is in the Blu-Ray player.

07-28-2018, 05:49 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hidalgo is in the Blu-Ray player.
And now Hondo is in the Blu-Ray player.
07-28-2018, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #84
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'll bite. My list has classics and quirk. More than 10, and not all that I can remember. And it's too late for me to out them in order:

True Grit (both of them, actually)
Unforgiven
Red River
Oxbow Incident
High Plains Drifter
The Grey Fox
Cheyenne Autumn
Dead Man
Jeremiah Johnson
Lonely Are the Brave
Searchers
Deadwood (the series)
Ballad of Little Jo
Little Big Man
07-29-2018, 07:18 AM   #85

My Personal "Top 10 Westerns of AllTime.”
  • The Unforgiven w/ Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman & Gene Hackman
  • Tombstone w/ Kurt Russell & Val Kilmer
  • Open range w/ Robert DuVall and Kevin Costner
  • Lonesome Dove w/ Robert DuVall
  • Appaloosa w/ Ed Harris & Vigo Mortensen
  • Broken Trail w/ Robert DuVall
  • The Homesman w/ Tommy Lee Jones & Hillary Swank (Perhaps the "best of the best!" Superb acting!)
  • True Grit w/ Jeff Bridges
  • Crossfire Trail w/ Tom Selleck
  • Dances With Wolves w/ Kevin Costner
Honorable Mention: (They're just too good to be left out!)
  • 3:10 to Yuma w/ Russell Crow & Christian Bale
  • Quigly Down Under w/ Tom Selleck
  • The Outlaw Josey Wales w/ Clint Eastwood
  • Hombre w/ Paul Newman
  • The Treasure of The Sierra Madre w/ Humphrey Bogart.
  • The Missing w/ Tommy Lee Jones
  • Django Unchained w/ Jamie Foxx
  • No Country for Old Men w/ Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin & Javier Bardem
  • The Hatfields & The McCoys w/ Kevin Costner & Bill Paxton
  • Conagher w/ Sam Elliott
Note: I realize there are no John Wayne movies included in MY list, but he's never been a favorite actor of mine. Sorry.
Interesting that there is no place for the Magnificent Seven (new or old).
07-29-2018, 07:49 AM   #86
Pentaxian

Hey Dewman, Did you open a thread like this one, maybe, a year ago?

I remember another thread that was about western movies and some of the discussion was about John Wayne movies. Somebody said something about not liking the JW westerns and I made a post listing a bunch of Wayne movies that are not westerns.
07-29-2018, 10:17 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Hey Dewman, Did you open a thread like this one, maybe, a year ago?

I remember another thread that was about western movies and some of the discussion was about John Wayne movies. Somebody said something about not liking the JW westerns and I made a post listing a bunch of Wayne movies that are not westerns.

Dave, I don't remember ever posting such a thread before.... but my memory, as well as a lot of other things, aren't what they used to be. As far as John Wayne, he just never was one of my favorites, regardless of the movie genre. That's just MY PERSONAL opinion. Everyone has their favorites and he never was one of mine.
07-29-2018, 01:44 PM   #88
Pentaxian

Dave, I don't remember ever posting such a thread before.... but my memory, as well as a lot of other things, aren't what they used to be. As far as John Wayne, he just never was one of my favorites, regardless of the movie genre. That's just MY PERSONAL opinion. Everyone has their favorites and he never was one of mine.
That's ok. It could have been another member that started a thread like this one. Maybe later tonight I can do some digging and find it.

As to John Wayne, you are right. Everybody has there own likes and dislikes. Having personal opinions is a good thing.
07-29-2018, 01:55 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think this thread has just about run it's course. It's been a lot of fun.

Maybe I need to start one titled "My Personal Top 10 Favorite Dramas." ???
07-29-2018, 06:41 PM   #90
Pentaxian

Hey Dewman. That thread I was thinking of was Favorite movie scene that was started by SpecalK.