Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photography school info

Hello, any one who looks at this thread I need some help.

I am a learning photographer, I would like to take some courses and get much better. The problem: my local Tech schools and voc. Schools don’t have anything available. With that being said I need help with some study at home or online courses.

I saw NYIP is there any others that someone could recommend? Also maybe there is a photographer in E. TX who would like to let me shoot with them and learn?

Any help is greatly appreciated

THANKS
LB

09-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #2

Check out Photography Classes Online: Have a photography pro at your side - online, all the time!. There are many online classes to choose from. I took a class in May. I learned a lot and had a lot of fun, too. On Better Photo, you can have a 30 image gallery for free. There are other gallery options for a fee, including setting up your own website.

It's worth checking into
09-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
Damn Brit

I looked into NYIP but I have decided against them. The course seems very comprehensive but at the same time very business orientated. Looking at their website they appear to be somewhat of a factory for churning out wedding photographers. No disrespect to wedding photographers but that's not the direction I want to go in and I'm not too bothered about the business side of things at the moment.
Search on the internet, you should find a local photographer who does workshops or short courses. They will at least be 100% photography (with some PP thrown in).
I did one of the workshops run by these guys Digital Days . Not that great, it's sponsored by Sony, but it covered all the basics and you get to do a model shoot. They also give out prizes over the weekend, I won Photoshop CS2 (this was just before CS3 came out) so it definitely paid off for me. It was fun, I got to meet some people (I even persuaded one guy to but a Pentax over a Nikon). They usually have a couple of retailers their offering promo prices on the day. B&H Photo were at the one I went to (that's how I got the guy to buy the Pentax, I told him to try it and he ordered it on the spot at a discount).

By the way, what camera bag did you end up with in the end?
09-16-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All these schools have classes.

Austin Community College Austin TX
El Paso Community College El Paso TX
Houston Community College System Houston TX
Kilgore College Kilgore TX
Odessa College Odessa TX
Tyler Junior College Tyler

http://www.uscollegesearch.org/texas-photography-colleges.html

I start classes the 24th here in our poodunk little town, they are adult courses once a week. I'm sure you have a small community college in your area.

09-16-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Digital Photography Tutorials
09-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

What is Welcome | Kelby Training, Alex.