Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
I want a camera designed for taking pictures .
define designed... otherwise cell ph camera should be good enough for u.

09-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I think those images look rather good, especially the portrait. I wonder if there was any PP.
I agree, good images. I doubt that they are touched up at all. Most of the look of that portrait is coming from the lens anyway. My 20D could do that with that lens.... and that model!! get a model with skin like that and lighting like that and all you need is a camera phone.

Image quality hasn't really changed in long time. It's still about the lens.

I have a feeling Canon was going to release video regardless of what Nikon did. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon spied on Canon and decided to beat them to the punch. Only they didn't do it as well.

About the "pentax bashing" by people who don't shoot Pentax.... well I can't help but feel like those statements are directed at me. I shoot Canon DSLR and Pentax film and I'm curious about other camera brands ect so I hang out here from time to time to get a different perspective and when I see some people talk about Canon who may not have the actual facts or first hand experience, I like to chime in and give my two cents.
09-17-2008, 04:13 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by tcdk Quote
stuff
It may be fine and cheap for Canon/Sony/Nikon, but do you want a company like Pentax or Olympus to waste their time on a movie mode to keep up? Or implement a lame duck version like Pentax's Live View?

Stuff like this leads to things like another dumb megapixel race, at the cost of things that actually help you take better photos.
09-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #49
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Well said Maxington, I'd rather have a 12MP sensor with no noise than a FF 24MP sensor with as much noise as my cell phone cam ... wait, I meant Oly E-1.
iEvil

09-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #50
graphicgr8s

Guess I am weird. I want my phone to make a phone call, my car to get me from point a to point b, my video camera to shoot video and my camera to take a picture. And to get on the web I use my computer, not my phone. If my car could get me from point a to b and take pictures that might be pretty slick though. Of course when I need repairs on it I lose my camera also. All I really need in camera is a digital K1000. It always works. It takes great shots. It would have resolution as good as film. I don't need 10 to the nth power focus points. 5 does pretty good.
Pentax cameras take excellent pictures. And I sure don't have camera envy. My K10D does a bang up job. And I'll go up against a Canikon shooter anytime.
On second thought, if my camera can transport me to someplace else I might consider a multitask camera. Til then the K10D/K20D is just fine.
Beam me up Scotty.
09-18-2008, 12:40 AM   #51
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
The crowd is after a magic button that does literally everything in photography.
I thought that it was the Print button.
09-18-2008, 12:59 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
I thought that it was the Print button.

Or white lenses.

09-18-2008, 02:01 AM   #53
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
My friend works as a clinical trialist (monitors clinical trials very well qualified) and she tells me there is a cure for aids just it's so ridiculously expensive no-one will pay to start manufacturing it because they won't make any profit.

Just thought you might like to know
Oh the humanity.
A lot of disease and illness could be erased if the politicos weren't firmly in the pockets of the big corporations.
This is a sick world we live in.
09-18-2008, 02:19 AM   #54
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Guess I am weird. I want my phone to make a phone call, my car to get me from point a to point b, my video camera to shoot video and my camera to take a picture. And to get on the web I use my computer, not my phone. If my car could get me from point a to b and take pictures that might be pretty slick though. Of course when I need repairs on it I lose my camera also. All I really need in camera is a digital K1000. It always works. It takes great shots. It would have resolution as good as film. I don't need 10 to the nth power focus points. 5 does pretty good.
Pentax cameras take excellent pictures. And I sure don't have camera envy. My K10D does a bang up job. And I'll go up against a Canikon shooter anytime.
On second thought, if my camera can transport me to someplace else I might consider a multitask camera. Til then the K10D/K20D is just fine.
Beam me up Scotty.
I'm with you on the 'tool for the job' attitude, just more things to go wrong and either quality suffers or you pay a premium. I'm quite glad most of the time that I'm not too technically minded, I don't have to look at other brands, just lenses. And I get to take and look at more pictures.

BTW, your car can take pictures, just mount your K10 on the hood and use the remote.
If you get a K20 you could mount that on the back and use live view as a reversing camera.
09-18-2008, 03:57 AM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by Maxington Quote
It may be fine and cheap for Canon/Sony/Nikon, but do you want a company like Pentax or Olympus to waste their time on a movie mode to keep up? Or implement a lame duck version like Pentax's Live View?

Stuff like this leads to things like another dumb megapixel race, at the cost of things that actually help you take better photos.
Yes and ... no. If adding a lame duck version of some feature that Joe Average Consumer thinks he needs, to make him buy the camera... yes, by all means do it. I know that it's a POC, you know it's a POC, but if Pentax want's to sell, and sell enough to stay competitive, they will have to do some of these things.

It's sad that they world is like that, but it's not a perfect world. In the perfect world, all consumers would know everything about all the potential cameras they could buy and they own needs, and would then make an informed and educated choice.
09-18-2008, 04:17 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Interesting interview with Canon engineer about "the price of megapixel race"

EXCLUSIVE: Canon engineers held back by marketing department's "megapixel race" - Yahoo! News UK
09-18-2008, 06:37 AM   #57
Veteran Member

LoL I was just about to post that link
09-18-2008, 06:41 AM   #58
Inactive Account

I feel the same as canon engineers. What they should do is put out a 5D mkIII with a sensor that has the same pixel density as the old 5D but built with improved electronics and optics. That way the media would say ... "WTF is wrong with Canon - less pixels WTH!?" and they would look at the details and realize that higher pixel count doesn't result in better image quality.

But that would also be a stupid move by Canon, because it would cannibalize 5D mkII sales.
09-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #59
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I'm with you on the 'tool for the job' attitude, just more things to go wrong and either quality suffers or you pay a premium. I'm quite glad most of the time that I'm not too technically minded, I don't have to look at other brands, just lenses. And I get to take and look at more pictures.

BTW, your car can take pictures, just mount your K10 on the hood and use the remote.
If you get a K20 you could mount that on the back and use live view as a reversing camera.
Cars have reverse? What will they think of next?
Or if I did I could see where I've been.
09-18-2008, 10:41 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Flickr Photo Download: Canon 5D mkII 12800 unprosessed

ISO 12800 I dont think the sensor is bad at all :P

Last edited by Okami; 09-18-2008 at 12:57 PM.