Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2008, 03:16 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Unfourtunately I am plagued with something from a bygone era. Dialup. Text is about all my patience will allow me to load at 5 AM.

Oh and séamuis, Love the VW. I'm currently restoring a 73 beetle a westy camper, bus, another beetle and 2 super beetle convertibles.

09-17-2008, 03:27 AM   #17
Banned

a westy huh? Ive been searching for a late 70's super beetle. I currently own a (though in poor shape) 78' westy. been thinking of restoring it to its former glory but just haven't had the funds as of late. still gets me around though!
09-17-2008, 04:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
RiceHigh is going to be real quick in praising this as the greatest camera ever, and using it to show why Pentax sucks. expect to hear from him real soon.
explain not show...
09-17-2008, 04:30 AM   #19
Banned

your absolutely right, how could I be so naive? rice show anything? ha! I still await with eager and disgusted anticipation, what he has to say...

09-17-2008, 05:03 AM   #20
Veteran Member

wow, after seeing the thread I went over to dpreview and looked at the canon forum. Lots of unhappy campers over there. This announcement went down like a lead balloon. What I find amusing is all the comments about the poor AF system
09-17-2008, 05:13 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
What I find amusing is all the comments about the poor AF system
The D700 borrows the D3's focusing system, while the new 5D's AF is based on an "archaic" AF module.

Now about that 11-point SAFOX...
09-17-2008, 05:15 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Criticizing Pentax for being a little behind is not IMHO bashing pentax. Correct, this new Canon camera has nothing to do with Pentax(apples and oranges). As for me, I don't care about video, sound, HDMI, or full frame. I just want a better K20D. Read all the threads and they agree, as does my limited experience, that the K30D needs better autofocus, better white balance, faster fps (not veryone is a landscape photographer - some like wildlife and sports), and better metering. It also needs to catch up with Sony and Olympus with better auto shake. I don't think I am bashing Pentax to ask for these things and soon!

09-17-2008, 05:21 AM   #23
Banned

yea I was reading about the 'slow' fps and not having 45 AF points... man those canon guys are more lame than some of the spec-droolers over here...
09-17-2008, 05:45 AM   #24
Veteran Member

It's an improved version of the 1ds Mark III sensor. And yes it has an internal mic and an external mic. And for the life of me i don't understand why everytime there is movie mode in a camera people go bananas and consider it blasphemy. Why not?? Why don't you try the function out before you blast it? If you are a strict hobbyist I can see why you wouldn't need it most of the time but in professional situations for events I can see lots of ways you could use it. All in all the 5d mark II is a great camera for it's price

And its not of question of whether Pentax can make a better camera or not. It's if Pentax has the resources to make a better camera or not. Like people said, it would be most beneficial right now for Pentax to make the entry level cam and improve things like AF and FPS on the K20D
09-17-2008, 05:59 AM   #25
Veteran Member

while this has little to do with pentax, this has alot to do with affordable FF

once the 5Dii hits the shelves, watch the price of the 5D drop (which already could be had for 1500~ used)

imagine the 5D for 1000 dollars, those of you who dont care much for extra features but are dying for FF might find this a VERY good deal.

if lens cost is an issue, you can either convert your pentax lenses like in that article

or, look into a sigma lens system.
09-17-2008, 06:07 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I have seen the 5D MKII samples on http://www.optyczne.pl/1268-nowo%C5%9B%C4%87-Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II_-_pierwsze_sample_i_film.html and frankly I was underwhelmed. But maybe they used a preproduction sample?
09-17-2008, 06:10 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I'd be hard pressed to buy an SLR that I can make a movie from. But I remember when I didnt see the point in having a cell phone with a camera in it either.
09-17-2008, 06:20 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
And for the life of me i don't understand why everytime there is movie mode in a camera people go bananas and consider it blasphemy. Why not?? Why don't you try the function out before you blast it? If you are a strict hobbyist I can see why you wouldn't need it most of the time but in professional situations for events I can see lots of ways you could use it. All in all the 5d mark II is a great camera for it's price
Well I can understand it, I do still photography, not video, and I really have no desire to pay for a video mode I don't use, nor want a camera brand I might buy from pour R&D time and money into a video mode to keep up with the competiton.

Would you rather your camera had better AF and a brilliant clear image at high ISO, or a video camcorder function?

Nice camera from Canon, but spending an extra 400% is not going to make my images 400% better.

Last edited by Maxington; 09-17-2008 at 06:21 AM. Reason: typo
09-17-2008, 06:58 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't agree w/ the title of this thread...more relevant would be "The 5DmkII shows us where Canon/Nikon are headed". I'm surprised Canon added a video mode, but they had no choice because Nikon started it (and I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax did as well for the same reason).

What's now cool is all the silent shooting techniques (mechanical shutter is only used one way, AF point selection now works in liveview and I presume video mode, etc.). Also, check out their battery grip w/ wifi support, GPS support, *AND* external USB drive support...probably a $500 grip but interesting features.

There was also mention that the Sony A900's 100% FF viewfinder is *very* bright in comparison, so that's one point against Pentax folks who said the viewfinder would be crappy w/ any FF body.

For Canon users, this gives them a reason not to get a Nikon D700. They're probably wedding photographers and sports photographers (where low light high ISO performance is king) who were miffed at the 1DmkII's crappy AF performance.

Cool times indeed...and it definitely feels like camera bodies are computers w/ rapid annual upgrades...
09-17-2008, 07:10 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by walter Quote
Ah, thanks, Walter. I really couldn't believe it. In dpreviews meanwhile published hands on preview they mention that the cam has full audio support.