Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2018, 05:27 PM - 6 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's the picture taking that really separates this forum from DPR (quality of poster aside, of course!).

Personally, I'm enjoying them, and hope that after this competition is over, people still bump old photo threads to be enjoyed. An interesting picture taken in 2014 is still an interesting picture, IMHO.

08-02-2018, 01:11 PM - 4 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don'y know why I (try) to enter contests. I get letters from Publishers Clearinghouse that say "You are already a Loser!".
08-02-2018, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
I don'y know why I (try) to enter contests. I get letters from Publishers Clearinghouse that say "You are already a Loser!".
hmm -

" Confidence is the foundation for everything in life and it is our confidence, or lack of, that directly affects HOW we do everything in life. " -

The Importance Of Absolute Confidence – Absolute Confidence

08-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot from 2014 for me ... sigh.

08-02-2018, 01:30 PM - 4 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

Somebody sent me a message asking me if I had any idea how problematic it was for me to comment on old photos. I said no, I had no idea that it was a problem. In what way? I have no idea, and the person who messaged me didn't say. I simply click on the "Recent Photos" button at the top of the page and start commenting. I've received some very nice thanks from the photographers. Yes, I'm doing it in an attempt to win, but I don't comment on photos that don't "speak" to me, as it were.
08-02-2018, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #21
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
I've received some very nice thanks from the photographers
Yeah I get all positive feedback too.

I think some people are just sensitive, and since this style of commenting is outside of their norm it makes them extra sensitive.

Like, we are all here to talk about photography, even if it is "I really enjoyed this image".

How is it a problem at all of what year that comment came from? I have no clues... maybe the person thinks they have to read the ENTIRE thread again because someone commented "I really enjoyed this image". I don't know why they think they'd have to read the entire thread... but I'm grasping for ideas on how it's inconvenient in the slightest.

Can never appease everyone, I guess!
08-02-2018, 01:38 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's the picture taking that really separates this forum from DPR (quality of poster aside, of course!).

Personally, I'm enjoying them, and hope that after this competition is over, people still bump old photo threads to be enjoyed. An interesting picture taken in 2014 is still an interesting picture, IMHO.
You are right here ... point well taken.
08-02-2018, 01:40 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
You are right here ... point well taken.
I don't have any really old pictures to be resurrected

so I don't care

08-02-2018, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
Somebody sent me a message asking me if I had any idea how problematic it was for me to comment on old photos. I said no, I had no idea that it was a problem. In what way? I have no idea, and the person who messaged me didn't say. I simply click on the "Recent Photos" button at the top of the page and start commenting. I've received some very nice thanks from the photographers. Yes, I'm doing it in an attempt to win, but I don't comment on photos that don't "speak" to me, as it were.
My understanding is that one has to make only ten posts to qualify to a possible entry to the raffle ... IMHO, no real need to do several hundred posts.

Plus it might be nice to post an actual image as opposed to a comment upon an image.

Just my two cents for what it's (not) worth ...

EDIT: I bothered to (re)read the (new) rules and apparently 180 posts gets one an automatic entry. So, you are good to go now.

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 08-02-2018 at 01:51 PM.
08-02-2018, 01:50 PM - 3 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

I don't have to post at all to qualify for this month's raffle. I posted so often in July that I am one of those with guaranteed entry. However, we still need to get to 45,000 posts, which is why I'm still doing it.
08-02-2018, 02:09 PM - 3 Likes   #26
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

My understanding is that one has to make only ten posts to qualify to a possible entry to the raffle ... IMHO, no real need to do several hundred posts.

Plus it might be nice to post an actual image as opposed to a comment upon an image.
I have been doing both since July 1, when I received "green" status and haven't had to ration my use of attachments. It turns out that new posts have exactly the same effect as commenting on old posts does .... it goes to the top and every other post goes down one position. As a poster of new material, I have seen my post go to page 2 then 3, etc fairly quickly, so I understand the angst this "higher velocity" can cause

EDIT: I bothered to (re)read the (new) rules and apparently 180 posts gets one an automatic entry. So, you are good to go now.
I am fairly certain that no one would qualify for the "raffle", because there would be no "raffle", if people hadn't been commenting on old ones. Back in June I was having trouble finding enough posts to comment on, and then I noticed Adam commenting on old stuff.

Last edited by reh321; 08-02-2018 at 02:21 PM.
08-02-2018, 02:15 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have been doing both since July 1, when I received "green" status and haven't had to ration my use of attachments. It turns out that new posts have exactly the same effect as commenting on old posts does .... it goes to the top and every other post goes down one position. As a poster of new material, I have seen my post go to page 2 then 3, etc fairly quickly, so I understand the angst this "higher velocity" can cause

I am fairly certain that no one will qualify for the "raffle", because there would be no "raffle", if people hadn't been commenting on old ones. Back in June I was having trouble finding enough posts to comment on, and then I noticed Adam commenting on old stuff.
OK ... points well taken. I can respect all points of view.

To me, the idea was to create more Pentax images ... not just a lot of chatter.

To each, her/his own ... enough said.

Good night to all. Cheers, J
08-02-2018, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the only problem with just submitting 10 posts is that you are then competing for one of 240 available spots for the raffle

three threads of 80

those who were top posters in June and July are exempt and in the raffle automatically

those who post 180 or more times in August are also exempt and in the raffle automatically
08-02-2018, 02:23 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Plus it might be nice to post an actual image as opposed to a comment upon an image.

Just my two cents for what it's (not) worth .
I like to vary my posts

posting my photos

commenting on serious and non serious threads

attempting to answer questions

however, that is just me and no one else needs to follow that pattern
08-02-2018, 02:25 PM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

August raffle participants:

26 top posters in June and July who are automatically in the August raffle + 240 who post a minimum of 10 posts and win a raffle spot + x number of members who post 180 or more posts in August and are automatically in

could be a huge raffle number

*Automatically qualified users:
Photogoof
FozzFoster
reh321
WPRESTO
Mikesul
Kerrowdown
aslyfox
CharLac
Racer X 69
noelcmn
UncleVanya
robtcorl
BigMackCam
pepperberry farm
DW58
Tonytee
wtlwdwgn
MarkJerling
savoche
normhead
bertwert
LensBeginner
SSGGeezer
stevebrot
eaglem
swanlefitte

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Summer 2018 Giveaway - August Announcements - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-02-2018 at 02:35 PM.