Show Printable Version 176 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2018, 06:28 AM - 3 Likes   #76
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Sorry, all I see is greed.

To be honest, Cmohr, if you can't see the strategy you're not seeing enough, I'm afraid.

You get people displaying atypical behaviour - visiting the site and contributing daily - and a proportion will discover they actually enjoy the process and continue it when the game is over.

If that fraction doesn't include you, do what all of us do when roadworks happen. We put up with a temporary inconvenience for longer term benefit to the area.

You can even help one of your fellow members get a K-1 II instead of a K-1, by contributing to the collective number of posts in this final month.

Or are we really just to think of ourselves?

Last edited by clackers; 08-04-2018 at 06:34 AM.
08-04-2018, 06:42 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, all I see is greed. Plain and simple. My interactions here have not changed. I as the OP was vilified for even suggesting this.
This is not a sustainable model for increasing traffic to the site, I wonder what next months post count will be, 11000, 9000.....?

Lets see how may of the real contributor's to the site remain at the current level of posts after there is no monetary incentive.
I come here to be a part of something, share my thoughts, and see what others are doing. If someone catches my attention, I check out their older posts and photos. I try to be involved in the community. And have shared my experience, expectations, and solutions.

All I see here, and in my, and Lana's thread is people set on, for, in lesser words, basic internet bullying, for posting a point of view not with the greed inspired.

You were not as prolific before this. Why are you so prolific now? Be honest with yourself, and stop bullying those whom are not. And if you think you are not bullying the op, posting up all the reasons it's so bad that the op started this thread..
I'm sorry you feel vilified - that is not my intent. However, quite frankly I feel vilified by the commentary against those of us who have been more active. I have to assume you weren't vilifying me, because you say so, and likewise you'll have to assume I'm not trying to vilify you because I'm saying so. I'm having fun .... I'm sorry it is such a trial to you and 'bo bo'.
08-04-2018, 07:18 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
To be honest, Cmohr, if you can't see the strategy you're not seeing enough, I'm afraid.

You get people displaying atypical behaviour - visiting the site and contributing daily - and a proportion will discover they actually enjoy the process and continue it when the game is over.

If that fraction doesn't include you, do what all of us do when roadworks happen. We put up with a temporary inconvenience for longer term benefit to the area.

You can even help one of your fellow members get a K-1 II instead of a K-1, by contributing to the collective number of posts in this final month.

Or are we really just to think of ourselves?
Trust me clackers, I do get, I still post, I enjoy seeing what people are currently doing, and involving myself in discussions , I am more than happy with people winning a K-1, so far the two winners have been great contributors to the site in the past and present. And even if it was a person who joined yesterday and made 10 contributry posts, I'd be happy with that.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm sorry you feel vilified - that is not my intent. However, quite frankly I feel vilified by the commentary against those of us who have been more active. I have to assume you weren't vilifying me, because you say so, and likewise you'll have to assume I'm not trying to vilify you because I'm saying so. I'm having fun .... I'm sorry it is such a trial to you and 'bo bo'.
As I said to you, I see nothing for you to feel vilified for, you involved and invest yourself in discussions, your interactions show you are actually interactive, and that plays into exactly what clackers was saying.
Still, bobo, has a point, as do I, any many others , my point, is we are shouted down, when our views are as valid as anybody's else's. Different points of view make the world.
08-04-2018, 07:45 AM   #79
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . . I as the OP was vilified for even suggesting this. . . . All I see here, and in my, and Lana's thread is people set on, for, in lesser words, basic internet bullying, for posting a point of view not with the greed inspired.

. . . . And if you think you are not bullying the op, posting up all the reasons it's so bad that the op started this thread..
you are 100 % correct

your view point is valid as any other

no one should be bullied because of what they post

I hope none of my posts are considered bullying

they were not intended to be that way

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-04-2018 at 07:56 AM.
08-04-2018, 08:35 AM   #80
Pentaxian

Sorry.... I as the OP was vilified for even suggesting this. ...

Where ? I tried to find the post(s) involved, but I could not find anything.
08-04-2018, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #81
Pentaxian

As I said to you, I see nothing for you to feel vilified for, you involved and invest yourself in discussions, your interactions show you are actually interactive, and that plays into exactly what clackers was saying.
Still, bobo, has a point, as do I, any many others , my point, is we are shouted down, when our views are as valid as anybody's else's. Different points of view make the world.
Having people say "I disagree with you" is not 'shouting you down'. If you were being 'shouted down' you could not make your views heard .... this entire thread is evidence that is not true.
08-04-2018, 08:58 AM - 3 Likes   #82
Pentaxian

In the Fall of 2014 I was a member of a generic photo discussion board, and quite happy with it. However, my Canon Rebel had died the year before, and I had purchased another one just because I didn't know what else to do, so I started looking at other options, ... and that search eventually led me here. Over the next six months I was involved in various discussions here, and eventually purchased both a Pentax Q-7 and a Pentax K-30 {to replace the replacement Rebel, which also died}, but I remained as active in the other place as here, in particular I posted my photos in their Gallery {except for photos that fit in Rupert's squirrel thread}. By last May I was frustrated with the PF, though, tired of the members who seem to be happy only when they can complain. With no reason to expect any news soon from Pentax, I basically checked out from here - I deleted some info in my profile {including both avatar and signature}, posted nothing, and read only threads I had left subscriptions to. I gradually returned in the Autumn, but only gradually, and I left open in my mind the possibility of leaving completely and permanently this summer.

The Giveaway changed all that. I saw it as a chance to infuse some positive energy into PF to cover over the old ways, which seem to focus on grumbling, and that is exactly what I've seen happening. I finally created a new avatar for myself, I became familiar with the PYP! section, and everything I've posted this summer has gone to PF; I became aware of more members, and saw the positive traits of some I'd previously seen only as goofballs or grumblers.

In short, this summer has been a wonderful time for me - I'm sorry the same is not true of all of you.

08-04-2018, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #83
Pentaxian

I sort of object to people posting 50 photos individually - as nice as they are - when they fit an existing thread or simply could be posted as a group. It moves every other post many pages down. I have found that "yesterday" is 15 pages back on the PYP thread.
08-04-2018, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I sort of object to people posting 50 photos individually - as nice as they are - when they fit an existing thread or simply could be posted as a group. It moves every other post many pages down. I have found that "yesterday" is 15 pages back on the PYP thread.
Then contact that member and tell him. I have noticed that maybe twice in two months.

added: I have seen a member post red flower photo, pink flower photo, yellow flower photo, red flower photo, etc., but in going through old threads I noticed he was doing that long before the Giveaway.

Last edited by reh321; 08-04-2018 at 09:26 AM.
08-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Where ? I tried to find the post(s) involved, but I could not find anything.
Bonjour Jean. Yes, I did have a thread about this. And after being harangued, 60 posts in no time, basically shouting me down, I deleted everything. And as I posted, I didn't have any exception to the posts, or their content, and did not wish any to call anybody out, it was just that the constant robot like posting was not really what I expected, and it did dramatically change the way I had interacted with the forum for the last seven years.
I also pointed out that the thread itself had draw more comments that the 20 photos I had just posted..............which was glossed over.
As even Adam said.
Quote Originally posted by Adam Quote
Guys, I've been getting some complaints from users who are experiencing disruptions in their browsing experience due to a flood of posts, mostly in the photo-sharing sections. While I'm excited by the enthusiasm and increased level of participation, I'd like to ask everyone to refrain from posting just to raise that progress bar

"Brute forcing" the counter is definitely not in the spirit of the giveaway, and while it hadn't been an issue in prior months, I may add a cap on spikes in activity if we continue receiving such feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Again, as I said, I have no problem with people posting comment on old photos, this forum is my inspiration for getting out and taking more and more challenging photos, see what others are doing and how they are doing it is an integral part of my joining this forum.
My concern is.
Why did you look at that old photo? Is it from actual interest in the member? Did you see something that they posted, and were genuinely interested in what they do? Did you choose to look at it, or was it just the next one on the list? You also. Choose, to bring back an old thread, the forum, gives you this warning when you try to comment on an old thread, it actually asks you if you are really wanting to bring back an old thread. ( In the past I have seen people get hammered for bringing back an old thread), I have no problem what so ever with bringing back a thread, if the intent is there, ie, you actually looked from your own interests.

Sorry about the rant there Jean. We have had many posts together years ago, I had to have some time off the forum for personal reasons.

Allen, your posts are always welcome, you have been a very active member here for a long time, and I have seen your skills improve and improve with your posts and questions about how to improve. And you are always there with a helping hand to new members.
Many of the top posters are people, who are normally the top posters, status quo.
Thanks everyone for looking.

Cmohr.
08-04-2018, 10:00 AM   #86
Pentaxian

My concern is.
Why did you look at that old photo? Is it from actual interest in the member? Did you see something that they posted, and were genuinely interested in what they do? Did you choose to look at it, or was it just the next one on the list? You also. Choose, to bring back an old thread, the forum, gives you this warning when you try to comment on an old thread, it actually asks you if you are really wanting to bring back an old thread. ( In the past I have seen people get hammered for bringing back an old thread), I have no problem what so ever with bringing back a thread, if the intent is there, ie, you actually looked from your own interests.
As I said above, I had never been in the PYP! section before the Giveaway. Every photo there is as new to me as it was to you a year or two or whatever ago. I chose to look at it because I had looked at all the current ones; frankly I found a lot of the "new" ones to be boring - I find little interest in one red flower at a time. I commented on it because I found something special about it - sometimes something like "Wow!!" is all I can think to say, but that is exactly what I felt, and I wanted everyone - especially the contributor - to know that is what I felt. I also found a large number of photos superior to what are being posted today, but they had zero or one comments, and I felt they deserved a second look. Perhaps people were "hammered" in the past for bringing things back, but is that just "frontier justice"?? - in this case I saw Adam "disinter" several photos so I figured it should be OK .... I hadn't seen local rules written by the local regulars.

Last edited by reh321; 08-04-2018 at 10:15 AM.
08-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #87
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Allen, your posts are always welcome, you have been a very active member here for a long time, and I have seen your skills improve and improve with your posts and questions about how to improve. And you are always there with a helping hand to new members. . . .
Cmohr.

thank you for the compliment
08-04-2018, 11:32 AM   #88
Pentaxian

Bonjour Jean. Yes, I did have a thread about this. And after being harangued, 60 posts in no time, basically shouting me down, I deleted everything. And as I posted, I didn't have any exception to the posts, or their content, and did not wish any to call anybody out, it was just that the constant robot like posting was not really what I expected, and it did dramatically change the way I had interacted with the forum for the last seven years.
I also pointed out that the thread itself had draw more comments that the 20 photos I had just posted..............which was glossed over.
As even Adam said.
Quote Originally posted by Adam Quote
Guys, I've been getting some complaints from users who are experiencing disruptions in their browsing experience due to a flood of posts, mostly in the photo-sharing sections. While I'm excited by the enthusiasm and increased level of participation, I'd like to ask everyone to refrain from posting just to raise that progress bar

"Brute forcing" the counter is definitely not in the spirit of the giveaway, and while it hadn't been an issue in prior months, I may add a cap on spikes in activity if we continue receiving such feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Again, as I said, I have no problem with people posting comment on old photos, this forum is my inspiration for getting out and taking more and more challenging photos, see what others are doing and how they are doing it is an integral part of my joining this forum.
My concern is.

Sorry about the rant there Jean. We have had many posts together years ago, I had to have some time off the forum for personal reasons.

Allen, your posts are always welcome, you have been a very active member here for a long time, and I have seen your skills improve and improve with your posts and questions about how to improve. And you are always there with a helping hand to new members.
Many of the top posters are people, who are normally the top posters, status quo.
Thanks everyone for looking.

Cmohr.
Thanks for your explanation and I hope that all is well now. Life is too short as it is ...

I did not see the thread you mentioned, so that was why I asked.

No rant here for me and I regret if anyone felt offended by my comments.

I still stand by my conviction that this contest was to create new photography activity on the forum ... and not chatter or "noise" activity which was done solely to run-up the post counter ... or one's chances to win ... enough said.

Again, I hope that you are well and that such continues ... Salut, J
08-04-2018, 11:41 AM - 2 Likes   #89
Pentaxian

You also. Choose, to bring back an old thread, the forum, gives you this warning when you try to comment on an old thread, it actually asks you if you are really wanting to bring back an old thread.
I personally wish old threads would be automatically closed after x months with out a new post. If something happens to warrant adding to an old discussion, then I believe it warrants a new thread. However, I the think the post your photos threads are fine to remain open indefinitely.

The OP is right on, in that we need to strive to keep our posts valuable and relevant. Posting just for the sake of posting is not the way to up the count. If the contest encourages some of us to spend more time on the forum, that is a good thing. I typically do not spend much time here in the summer, but this year I am trying to visit almost every day.
08-04-2018, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I had never been in the PYP! section before the Giveaway. Every photo there is as new to me as it was to you a year or two or whatever ago. I chose to look at it because I had looked at all the current ones; frankly I found a lot of the "new" ones to be boring - I find little interest in one red flower at a time. I commented on it because I found something special about it - sometimes something like "Wow!!" is all I can think to say, but that is exactly what I felt, and I wanted everyone - especially the contributor - to know that is what I felt.
That's exactly how I feel. Yes, I wanted to get the posts up to the limit, but that didn't mean I was going to post about just anything. Rather than post on every single photo, I posted on those that appealed to me. I'm still doing it. I didn't expect to get so involved in my own photos again, or to revisit old shots that are better than I remembered. I'm grateful to this forum for renewing my interest and passion in photography.