Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I just realized that some posters don't have the ability to post images to the forum like I do due to my membership status - Loyal Site Supporter

so when I describe my personal posting style - posting photos, commenting in serious and non serious threads, and trying to help answer questions and wonder why more members don't post more images, I am not taking that fact into consideration.

some folks just can't increase their participation by posting more images
And having another new image posted would have the same effect as does "promoting" an old "unloved" image - it would push present images down one step - but would put more stress on system resources.

08-05-2018, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm guessing that Adam's desire to increase activity here is at odds with the desires of a certain percentage of the regulars here - they really see no reason for that and won't be motivated to cooperate.
I think it is a very small percentage, they just happen to be rather vocal. But then, we see that all the time around here.
08-05-2018, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #108
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

And having another new image posted would have the same effect as does "promoting" an old "unloved" image - it would push present images down one step - but would put more stress on system resources.
I don't understand

are you saying not to post a photo?
why does the forums exit then
08-05-2018, 12:24 PM - 2 Likes   #109
Pentaxian

Photobucket and flickr and I suspect many other sites are free. Not posting images because of forum storage limits is just silly.

08-05-2018, 01:04 PM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Photobucket and flickr and I suspect many other sites are free. Not posting images because of forum storage limits is just silly.
The comment was about posting images here on PF, not about posting images on line in general.
08-05-2018, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
The comment was about posting images here on PF, not about posting images on line in general.
I fear that you are missing the point ...

I am a site supporter, but I use flickr and post those images here "free" ... I could end the extra cost of being a site supporter, but I like my small annual contribution to the forum.

My flickr account is the same name as here ... and here's an example of a post on Pentax Forums via flickr ...

08-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
I think it is a very small percentage, they just happen to be rather vocal. But then, we see that all the time around here.
An example ... ?

Names of those involved ... ?

And you really think that Adam is swayed so easily ?

08-05-2018, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #113
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Reselling it would somewhat defeat the spirit of a giveaway like this don't you think?
Personally, yes. I myself want to win it so I can own it...I wouldn't otherwise be able to.

However, I still get why people want to be in it despite not really wanting it. Maybe they just want a second or third K-1, or maybe they can perfectly well afford to buy it for themselves, or maybe they just want to stick it on ebay...it's fairly normal to want something for nothing and I don't begrudge them that. As long as I can get my shot at it too, I'm happy with that over nothing...
08-05-2018, 02:01 PM - 2 Likes   #114
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Personally, yes. I myself want to win it so I can own it...I wouldn't otherwise be able to.

However, I still get why people want to be in it despite not really wanting it. Maybe they just want a second or third K-1, or maybe they can perfectly well afford to buy it for themselves, or maybe they just want to stick it on ebay...it's fairly normal to want something for nothing and I don't begrudge them that. As long as I can get my shot at it too, I'm happy with that over nothing...
Fine, fine, I understand that people want the chance at winning stuff and getting stuff for free, because who doesn't want free stuff? Personally, speaking for myself only, just me and no one else in the world, I wouldn't enter a giveaway like this if it's not something I will make use of (or I had a close friend/relative to give it to). But that might be just me.

I walked by this sign without entering the contest, I could probably have sold the prize to some of my farmer friends for an easy few hundred bucks if I won, but I stand by my lack of trying to get free stuff just for the sake of its cash value. Maybe if it been $5,000 worth of product, I would have entered, I don't know. I'm sure I have a price threshold somewhere and the right quantity would have made the dollar signs flash in my eyes. Would you have entered?

08-05-2018, 02:10 PM   #115
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Fine, fine, I understand that people want the chance at winning stuff and getting stuff for free, because who doesn't want free stuff? Personally, speaking for myself only, just me and no one else in the world, I wouldn't enter a giveaway like this if it's not something I will make use of (or I had a close friend/relative to give it to). But that might be just me.

I walked by this sign without entering the contest, I could probably have sold the prize to some of my farmer friends for an easy few hundred bucks if I won, but I stand by my lack of trying to get free stuff just for the sake of its cash value. Maybe if it been $5,000 worth of product, I would have entered, I don't know. I'm sure I have a price threshold somewhere and the right quantity would have made the dollar signs flash in my eyes. Would you have entered?
ok.

you have expressed your view point
08-05-2018, 02:14 PM - 3 Likes   #116
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

I would if I could trade it for a K-1
08-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #117
Pentaxian

I don't understand

are you saying not to post a photo?
why does the forums exist then
I am saying that I am hearing two complaints about commenting on old "unloved" {comment count = 0} photos

(1) If you comment on a photo that was on page 501, that moves it from page 501 {where nobody notices it} to page 1, which pushes each photo already on page 1 down a position, and the last photo gets pushed to page 2. If a person comments on 280 "unloved" photos, then a photo that started off on page 1 ends up on page 8.

(2) If you comment on 280 "unloved" photos, people doing other things elsewhere on the site notice that their requests bog down a little, because the server is kind of busy.

If you eliminate those 280 comments on "unloved" photos, those problems are alleviated - but total post count also goes down, and no one receives a K-1.

What I was saying is that having 280 people each post a new photo does bring the post count back up, and maybe someone does receive a K-1, but it does not "fix" either problem.

(1) The 280 newly posted photos will still come ahead of the photos that had been on page 1, and those photos that had started on page 1 will still end up on page 8.

(2) The server will be very busy creating these extra threads, and users trying to do other things elsewhere on the site will still see their requests bog down.
08-05-2018, 02:49 PM   #118
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I am saying that I am hearing two complaints about commenting on old "unloved" {comment count = 0} photos

(1) If you comment on a photo that was on page 501, that moves it from page 501 {where nobody notices it} to page 1, which pushes each photo already on page 1 down a position, and the last photo gets pushed to page 2. If a person comments on 280 "unloved" photos, then a photo that started off on page 1 ends up on page 8.

(2) If you comment on 280 "unloved" photos, people doing other things elsewhere on the site notice that their requests bog down a little, because the server is kind of busy.

If you eliminate those 280 comments on "unloved" photos, those problems are alleviated - but total post count also goes down, and no one receives a K-1.

What I was saying is that having 280 people each post a new photo does bring the post count back up, and maybe someone does receive a K-1, but it does not "fix" either problem.

(1) The 280 newly posted photos will still come ahead of the photos that had been on page 1, and those photos that had started on page 1 will still end up on page 8.

(2) The server will be very busy creating these extra threads, and users trying to do other things elsewhere on the site will still see their requests bog down.
I wasn't talking about posting in resurrected threads but current ones
08-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #119
Pentaxian

I wasn't talking about posting in resurrected threads but current ones
I guess I misunderstood your specific comment - in general the complaints, such as the ones that started this thread, seem to focus on that issue.
08-05-2018, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #120
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The giveaway activity is no where near placing any sort of technical limits on the server. In fact, actual traffic and bandwidth is mostly unchanged- just more users actively rather than passively participating.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: