Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2018, 02:54 PM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I’ve recently started cross-posting photos in body or lens threads, with topic forums, as I noticed others doing, partly for one of the complaints noted. This does put up the post count, of course, but avoids getting a post “buried” in, for example, the Post your K-1 Photos thread.

Perhaps I’ve missed something here, but simple access to all photos posted under Landscape (for instance) would be good to have, and a method of cross-posting that didn’t involve actually re-submitting the photo would save time and server space. I’ve also started linking to my Flickr account, which saves on server space here, but makes those photos subject to IP theft. I’m not that concerned about the latter, because anything posted here is also subject to mis-appropriation, but it widens the opportunity for it to happen.

08-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The giveaway activity is no where near placing any sort of technical limits on the server. In fact, actual traffic and bandwidth is mostly unchanged- just more users actively rather than passively participating.
Apparently I misunderstood your sentence
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Guys, I've been getting some complaints from users who are experiencing disruptions in their browsing experience due to a flood of posts, mostly in the photo-sharing sections.
Even so, putting 280 new photos in the section will have exactly the same result as bringing 280 "unloved" back for a second shot.

Last edited by reh321; 08-05-2018 at 03:20 PM.
08-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Apparently I misunderstood your sentence
Even so, putting 280 new photos in the section will have exactly the same result as bringing 280 "unloved" back for a second shot.
Sure. They all have the same effect -- bumping the post count a bunch makes individual posts more prone to getting lost in the clutter. That's probably regardless of if they are new posts or old posts that have been bumped.

I tend to browse using the "New Posts" section and I think I miss a bunch of the new image posts. At least half the time that I click on a post your photos thread, it is a resurrection. I will say that to me, post your photos section is more for "special" images or a bunch of photos on a theme (say I take several photos on vacation and don't want to clutter up the K-1 thread with them). Posting a bunch of individual flower shots isn't what I would tend to do.
08-05-2018, 05:10 PM - 2 Likes   #124
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I walked by this sign without entering the contest, I could probably have sold the prize to some of my farmer friends for an easy few hundred bucks if I won, but I stand by my lack of trying to get free stuff just for the sake of its cash value. Maybe if it been $5,000 worth of product, I would have entered, I don't know. I'm sure I have a price threshold somewhere and the right quantity would have made the dollar signs flash in my eyes. Would you have entered?
That buys enough seamen to crew a container ship?

Impressive prize, Brian!

08-05-2018, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That buys enough seamen to crew a container ship?

Impressive prize, Brian!
I think you misread, it's se...

Nah, on second thought you're right! I'm just glad I'm not the person who had the job extracting the "seaman" from their original vessel
08-05-2018, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
The comment was about posting images here on PF, not about posting images on line in general.
rangercarp, everyone of my thousands of photos posted on PF are hosted on flickr or photobucket. OK< about 50 aren't, the other 4950 are. You don't have to post on the form to post here on the forum. In fact it's better if you don't. The size of my posted images since moving to flickr is 2650 x 1600 and you can see them at that resolution by clicking on them. Honestly, I find the forum image storage and handling more than a little clunky.

Try clicking on this image to understand what I'm saying. It will take you to my flickr account and let you engage the image to 2650 if your monitor is big enough.

08-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I fear that you are missing the point ...I am a site supporter, but I use flickr and post those images here "free" ..
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
rangercarp, everyone of my thousands of photos posted on PF are hosted on flickr or photobucket. OK< about 50 aren't, the other 4950 are. You don't have to post on the form to post here on the forum.
I got you both. I just missed the original point Norm was trying to make.

---------- Post added 08-05-18 at 09:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
An example ... ?Names of those involved ... ?And you really think that Adam is swayed so easily ?
If you need me to provide examples or names, then it is a safe bet you typically don't peruse the same threads I do.

As far as Adam being easily swayed, I suspect that he is not. After rereading my post and the post I was responding to, I am not sure where on earth the suggestion that Adam might be easily swayed even came from. Not from me.

08-05-2018, 09:13 PM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Internet friendships are at best, ephemeral.
To this day I maintain a friendship with someone I met over the internet 1000 miles away when I was 13 - I'm 34 now. We see each other about once every 5 or 6 years when we wonder into each other's state for some reason. Not the rule of course, but that beats the "at best" scenario. I suppose it stopped being an internet friendship a long time ago though seeing that we don't share any social networks and phones calls are the default communication.
08-05-2018, 10:39 PM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know... I kinda like freebies.
08-06-2018, 05:26 AM   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
To this day I maintain a friendship with someone I met over the internet 1000 miles away when I was 13 - I'm 34 now. We see each other about once every 5 or 6 years when we wonder into each other's state for some reason. Not the rule of course, but that beats the "at best" scenario. I suppose it stopped being an internet friendship a long time ago though seeing that we don't share any social networks and phones calls are the default communication.
Once every 5 or 6 years is pretty ephemeral...
08-06-2018, 07:11 AM - 2 Likes   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Contests, giveaways and now this thread always seem to bring out the best in people!

Chris
08-06-2018, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #132

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Having had one of my discussions resurrected caused me to look back at an image I posted in the critique forum that I hadn't looked at in close to 6 months. When I posted it I thought it was pretty good, but that 6 months later look again I finally saw why it wasn't as good as I thought and finally understood why. I take that as I sign of how much I have grown since posting it and now appreciate the advice given even more. While I have made an effort to comment more I also have tried to make sure those comments weren't just pointless spam as have others, even if others were reviving long dead discussions.
That's something very sensible you are saying in here: we develop as photographers over the time; our experiences, every picture we take, every framing we try, every picture we visualize even before pressing the shutter button are making us grow a little bit.

I find myself, sometimes, thiking about submitting a picture to a forum for others to comment on; or maybe to a competition, and always thinking: this was a very effortless picture! yes, you tried the best light, the rule of four thirds, balance of shadows, blah, blah, and it's still bland. And the, I sometimes find less than perfect picture that transmit such emotion and trigger so strong memories... But is' all emotional attachment, I know. Some are good pictures gone not-that-good, but despite the technical fails, they transmit, they tell, they are a portrait of someone. And those I find dear, although they aren't good ones; so I often wonder why send the dear ones? They are telling stories to me, nobody else. It's hard to tell stories for the world! But every time I watch an old picture of this kind, I learn something again.

Revisiting our old self and having that sort of inner dialogue (qith the help of others, usually) is really a positive way to push ourselves further.

Thanks for the food for thought!
08-07-2018, 11:03 AM - 3 Likes   #133
Pentaxian

I have posted 32 times today - this will make 33. I have posted comments to discussions like this {but the others are at a 'higher plane'}, posted five photos so far, posted comments on recently posted photos, and posted a comment on a photo posted in 2015 that had received no attention before I rediscovered it {it received another comment later, so this photo got two comments today after being ignored for three years}. My comments are made by me, a human being, not a robot, after I have carefully considered the situation; they are as appropriate to the setting as all other comments in the same section - no vacuous "yada yada". I don't believe I have hurt PF today.
08-07-2018, 02:59 PM   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Our lives are ephemeral, in the grand scheme of things. However, repetition, no matter what the cycle time, denies ephermerality, by definition. I have long-term, long-distance friendships that only involve physically meeting up every 5-10 years. Generally, we discuss the meaning of words, when we do.
08-07-2018, 03:43 PM - 2 Likes   #135
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a good friend. Quite possibly one of my best friends. He's one of those friends who rank substantially higher than almost everyone except (possibly) for immediate family. We last saw each other face to face in 2007. He not only lives in another country but, in a very difficult to reach place in that country.
For me to see him, I'm looking at three flights minimum, duration not less than 23 hours and 55 minutes, layover times not included. Then, a 7 hour drive over a distance of some 700km.

Needless to say, we communicate mostly by phone!

Of course, being the best of friends, it matters not how often we see each other. When we sit down for a cup of tea, we talk as if the gap in communications was no more than a few days.