Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2018, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

78,684 members - Forum Summary Page

From Forum Summary page the Stat's part of the page also : Currently Active Users: 1644 (170 members and 1474 guests) From the official Give Away Notice Thread Free toss at the August K-1 : July - 20 Members June - 5 (actually 6) members a free toss at the K-1. The chosen 26 got the free /bee based on their ability to post 400 - 2000 approx. yadda yadda's / each in a 28 day period. My Goodness !That would require them to be breathing through their ears for most of the Month. While that required me to dump my Email account several times a day eventually I unsubscibed to threads and put members on ignore (most of which I'll keep) and of course to rethink my Subscription in Totality.To me it meant even the "ADA BOY's" were worthless which is why I'm in buying more Liquids ! The July Draw could not even reach the 300 Entrants from a base of 79,000 members ? Lets have a brief and civil discussion on the Summer Events so far and there connection to progressing Photography for all. And lets not forget the polarization forming in by-gone days in Threads as well which was part of the push back and why 78,400 members (all paying dues) I presume are not participating. Help me determine whether I should put PF in the Junk Mail bin on my Email ; not renew my membership; ask Adam to put a "Ignore All" Button and then un-ignore a different 26 ; keep in mind that MJ becomes legal in Canada in just 2 months and the Kids did buy me a Bong for Fathers Day at the beginning of this annoyance. I'll be going back to the Bush shortly and will be back for more Liquids & solids next week. Regards Bruce

POST SCRIPT
I just came in from the Bush for Re-stocking the Liquids & Solids for a few more days. After having spent a Private Moment in the Facility I have decided that in the interest of human decency I am rescinding the Following :
I'm rescinding my free use of my Facilities for the chosen 26 as I believe that although unheard of ; there is a chance of youse guys plugging my Facility and a Plunger needed would make me a laughing stock and allow my neighbours in the bush to run me off !

Last edited by honey bo bo; 10-04-2018 at 06:08 AM.
08-03-2018, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my ever-shrinking free time, I mostly answer technical/troubleshooting questions and occasionally comment on photos, and have been averaging 300-400 posts per month doing so (since the site was launched in 2006!). Still, this is a drop in the pond if you look at how much time people spend on social media these days...Facebook actually just launched a feature allowing users to monitor their time spent wasted in order to help curb the addiction among younger users.

Also, if all of our 78k members were active, this giveaway would probably end in a matter of days, if not hours. In July, we had just over 2,000 users actually post on the forum, 40% of whom were qualified to enter the raffle.

That said, if you are feeling any sort of burnout, my recommendation would be to take a break. Folks have done this in the past and came back with a smile a while later

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-03-2018, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would encourage you to visit some other online communities and see just how good we have it here
08-03-2018, 11:32 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

The key to social media is limiting your time. Last month had a couple days of solid rain, and my post count was way up, this month, nothing like that has happened and my post count is way down. You do what you can when you can. But as long as you aren't ruining your life, what's the issue?

As for the idea that any one person can stay on top of this place, that's crazy. Even in slow posting periods I can't read or respond to every thread. This forum is way too big for one person to ride herd. It's just not going to happen. Be selective, keep your subriptions to 50 or less, decide which threads you aren't interested in and ignore them

There's a thread of ƒ1.2 images. My personal opinion would be that is elitist and silly, but if those members want to have a club like that it doesn't effect me in any way. I ignore the thread, I ignore their posts, there's nothing wrong with that. And there are a pile of threads that are similar. All the lens clubs where I don't own the lens. All the threads flooded with images from centuries past. All the threads for cameras I don't own.

I tend to look for people looking for advice in telephoto and outdoors.I pretty much ignore subjects not relevant to that. ƒ2.8 zooms? I'm not interested, Weight means something where I go. Better I leave those discussions for people who have all the 2.8 zooms. I really have nothing to add.

If you just focus on where your interests are, the forum will keep you busy without it being hard to follow.If it is getting hard to follow, you are reading too many threads. Cut down your subscription list and be really selective, clicking on one "new posts", or "today's threads". If you add a subscription, one has to go, be rigorous and religious about ti. You'll be fine.

Last edited by normhead; 08-03-2018 at 11:38 AM.
08-03-2018, 11:34 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

I do not practice thread necromancy but do on occasion practice some back and forth on the Satire thread that will never end. I ask questions, comment on photos and most of all post images, both in the PYP thread as well as sub threads for lenses. I don't love it when they get shoved back to page 7 or 8 due to necromancy since I would like some honest comments, but Adam has slowed that down, and when this posting fest started, I unsubscribed to almost every thread I had been following until the drawings are over. Unsub and take a break from everything except any specific lens or camera thread that is of most interest to you.

---------- Post added 08-03-18 at 11:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I would encourage you to visit some other online communities and see just how good we have it here
I must agree with this sentiment. Most here are very polite and those that aren't get Boris Cleto'd!
08-03-2018, 11:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I do and all infrequently. None of them even close to the way this one has turned in the summer months. I'm not in search of companionship or Free/Bees. I'm after knowledge and Ideas. I am even on Face Book but not on the stream and the Photo followings are extremely civil . If you are happy with the status Quo here then thats on you ; that's helping me to make a decision for what I'll do about the mess. I need more than 26 of the chosen ones input though.
08-03-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
Help me determine whether I should put PF in the Junk Mail bin on my Email ; not renew my membership; ask Adam to put a "Ignore All" Button and then un-ignore a different 26
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
if you are feeling any sort of burnout, my recommendation would be to take a break. Folks have done this in the past and came back with a smile a while later
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
I'm not in search of companionship or Free/Bees. I'm after knowledge and Ideas.
Bruce - I think it's worth considering that whilst you personally may not be interested in a free camera, many people welcome the chance (imagine how our most recent winner must have felt - he may never have owned a K-1 but for the raffle). Furthermore, this site isn't just a service to members... it's also a business that Adam runs. I may not like some of the new traffic that has been generated, but I don't have a particularly hard time avoiding it - and I'm a moderator!

For anyone unhappy with the recent traffic, I'd respectfully suggest a exercising a little extra patience and tolerance during the short time these raffles are taking place (or taking a break, as Adam suggests). They won't go on forever, there'll be some extremely happy members (whether new or old) with lovely new cameras to enjoy, and Adam's traffic will have increased. On that last point, this is actually a good thing for us members in general, since a busy site is a profitable site, and a profitable site will typically be here to stay

08-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

By the way, I'm closing this thread, as the purpose seems pretty much identical to the following:

I For One Will Be Glad When This Give Away Will Be Over ! - PentaxForums.com

Bruce, if you'd prefer the other thread is closed instead and merged into this one, let me know via PM or the mod contact form, and I'll be happy to oblige
08-03-2018, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
a profitable site will typically be here to stay
And keep bringing in-depth reviews, trade show coverage, and all those goodies!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
Closed Thread