Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vale "pet" wallaby

I have posted a few images recently of a young female red-necked wallaby that I was feeding (occasionally) with kurrajong leaves. She was a good model for lens tests. The drought is really biting here now - looks like being the worst in living memory because they are now forecasting an '"el Nino" event this summer. That means reduced rainfall on top of the existing drought. I am not sure where it will end up. Anyway, this young lady got quiet enough for me to pat - which I did as a way of assessing her condition. She was just skin and bone. (I took a "selfie" with my free hand while patting her.) Yesterday when I came home she was dead under the kurrajong tree. There was another one dead about 50 metres away Five or six have died around the house so far and walking in the paddocks you are never far from the smell of death. Tough times, but at least we have no cattle to worry about. We can ride it out and look at our situation when the drought breaks - which it must one day. Spare a thought for those trying to hand feed their stock with hay prices going through the roof.

08-04-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A real shame Pete, sorry to hear about this. Hope things change for the better very quickly around the country. Personal accounts like this bring it home to the rest of us here how dire this drought is. Fingers crossed for all doing it tough. Cheers mate, and I hope you and your family and neighbours are all OK.
08-04-2018, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, Pete. All seem to be OK around here but who knows how long this will last. It won't break us financially because we have no stock. But it is hard to believe how bare the ground is. The only green stuff is the cactus (a pest) and the only animals doing OK are the rusa deer (another pest) because they can browse higher than the kangaroos and wallabies.