Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The wonders of USPS

Need to vent:
I bought a little something-something for my Pentax 645, from Japan via ebay. On Tuesday. JP post had it in NYC by Wednesday nite and it was delivered to my door a week ago Thursday, at just before noon.
Only of course 'there was nobody to take the package' so I got a peach slip instead. I filled it for re-delivery, leave it at the doorstep like everything else... nothing... Lucky for me I checked the tracking via USPS on Sunday, and it was telling me I was running out of time to ask for redelivery!!

I asked for Monday. Had them text me. Monday came and went... Tuesday came and went... Wednesday came and is about to go... IF I knew which post office my packet is (or is it in my postman's truck?) I'd go find it. It will be a week sitting in a post office in my town after coming all the way from Japan overnight.

08-15-2018, 03:18 PM   #2
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it is an expensive lens, most Japanese sellers require a signature, but I suspect your issue is just from living in a big city. I have a rural carrier and one PO employee so we never have issues in my Podunk town. USPS is almost always cheaper and faster than Fedex or UPS, especially if traveling over 500 miles.
08-15-2018, 04:34 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Call the customer service number listed on the USPS website and speak to a representative.
Sometimes they have access to location information not available to you online.
If necessary they will open a case to help track down your package.
When they determine which station has your item call them directly.

Most items I have purchased from Japan have required a signature.
I'm not sure you can have a valuable item left on your doorstep without one.

If it's left on your doorstep at your request and it disappears will you blame USPS for that too?

Chris
USPS employee
08-15-2018, 05:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ve had a few issues, including the wrong house number put on a package from out of the country. The house number did not exist. When tracking showed an attempt to deliver, and I didn’t receive the package, I was able to contact my post office directly. They held the package for me to pick up.

08-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I usually have Signature packages delivered to my office. If necessary I go get it at the PO on my lunch. I understand I’m fortunate to have those options.
08-15-2018, 06:56 PM   #6

First I want to say I've noticed a speed up with delivery of first class and priority mail. First class packages that used to take a minimum of five days take two or three. Priority Packages that used to take 3 days are down to two.

But there seems to be a problem with the Los Angeles Distribution Center. Three or four times this year packages were routed from Distribution to the incorrect destination Post Office. In one case the package went to a PO about 10-15 south east of my local PO. Then it went back to Distribution and from there to a Post Office about 15 miles north of me. Back to LA Distribution and finally to my PO.

The last incident was just a few weeks ago. A media mail package went from LA to Long Beach, about 28 miles south of me. There it just disappeared off tracking. I went to a Post Office that is closer to me than my actual zip code and the clerk there made a few calls but couldn't locate the package. He told me to call the 800 customer service line. I reported a missing package (5 days had elapsed since Long Beach scanned in receiving the package). A few hours later I got a call from my local PO that they definitely did not have the package and they called Long Beach. The next day I got a call from an inspector from Long Beach saying there is a problem at Long Beach being understaffed and a number of mis-routed packages had dropped off the radar instead of being sent back to LA. Package was on its way to LA Distrib. A couple days later I get a call from my Post Office saying the received the package and it was out for delivery and they would follow up to make sure I received the package. Since I wasn't home until the evening wasn't able to confirm receipt of the package. It was there when I got home. The local PO called the next day to confirm receipt of the package.

Overall I have to give USPS an A+ on how they handled the lost package. I have to give LA Distribution a "D" for mis-routing so many packages however. I told the customer service people that this was the third or fourth package that Distribution had messed up this year.
08-16-2018, 03:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Call the customer service number listed on the USPS website and speak to a representative.
Sometimes they have access to location information not available to you online.
If necessary they will open a case to help track down your package.
When they determine which station has your item call them directly.

Most items I have purchased from Japan have required a signature.
I'm not sure you can have a valuable item left on your doorstep without one.

If it's left on your doorstep at your request and it disappears will you blame USPS for that too?

Chris
USPS employee
Thanks for the advice, that's excellent! I'll make this my plan today - though I suspect which post office it is so may just go in person.

This isn't an expensive package; I've had really expensive packages left on the doorstep before with no problem... and no, I won't blame the carrier as long as they put the package where I can get it, if the package then gets stolen

The bit is actually a remote battery holder, as the battery clip on my camera shattered by itself and I have 2 backs full of film ready to go. Hence my eagerness to get my greedy little hands on the box....
08-16-2018, 04:08 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

one might make a song about waiting for a delivery

08-16-2018, 05:47 AM   #9
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Thanks for the advice, that's excellent! I'll make this my plan today - though I suspect which post office it is so may just go in person.

This isn't an expensive package; I've had really expensive packages left on the doorstep before with no problem... and no, I won't blame the carrier as long as they put the package where I can get it, if the package then gets stolen

The bit is actually a remote battery holder, as the battery clip on my camera shattered by itself and I have 2 backs full of film ready to go. Hence my eagerness to get my greedy little hands on the box....
I don't know how USPS operates in a big city, but here in the small city all mail for my zip code goes through the same post office. If they tried to deliver and are now holding it, I know which building it is in.
08-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I went and they found the package and I'm happy.