Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: If you were to switch.. What would it be?
Canon 4420.28%
Nikon 12256.22%
Minolta 62.76%
Olympus 156.91%
Other 3013.82%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by throndor Quote
from what i read, it looks like "Nikon for the body, Canon for the lenses".. So why is it that Nikon is kicking ass on the poll.. I would not believe that people will vote bodies over lenses.

???
I am torn, as while the 5D + 24-105 f/4 IS is a fine combo, the thing is massive, possibly to the point where I'd almost rather own a D80 + 18-70 f/3.5-4.5. The 70-200 f/4L is another nice piece. I'm hoping that the DA* 60-250 f/4 will be similarly fine.

I would convert to Canon..just for 100mm f/2.4 USM Macro.. I have not seen a single un-amazing macro created with it..
I assume you're really talking about the canon 100 f/2.8 macro. That sounds like a challenge that I'm up for should anyone want to send me one with a body to mount it on--I'm pretty certain I could take a bad picture with any equipment. While USM is probably a nice feature to add to ordinarily ponderously focusing macro lenses, and I'm sure the Canon you mention is a nice optic, other macro lenses are already so good that I find it very hard to believe that this one trounces the rest to the point where someone should seriously consider picking a system around it.

09-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Well, I thought about this but came up empty-handed...

Nikon Body, Nikon for the weather sealed pro body and the AF and the Metering. But Can't find any lenses I would want to buy, even if money were no object, I'd be hard-pressed to find anything to get too too excited about

and Canon Lenses, especially the 135L and the 35L, and I could make do with the 85 1.8 (non-L) as I previously owned all these lenses and more before I switched to Pentax. The rest of the lenses would be third party and very similar to what I am using on the Pentax (Tokina 50-135 etc...)

But a lot of money to switch to not get a lot out of it. I'm not a big fan of DSLR FF at all. I like the crop factor for DSLR. I don't want my DSLR to have a higher pixel-count but more densely-packed sensor, nor do I want a larger sensor in it or larger file sizes, I want to keep the DSLR portable and affordable.

If I want more MP or a bigger sensor, I'll do in digital as I have done in past in film era, switch to medium format. And keep the Pentax system (not switching) for on-the go type shooting. Just sold the remnants of my Mamiya RZ67 and Kodak back system and the old Sinar with Scitex-Leaf digital back. So my next move will be the Leaf Aptus II -10 with the 56x36mm sensor. That to me will be an upgrade, spending almost the same to buy into another system and then possibly switch yet again after that for rather minor upgrades in the meantime seems silly.
09-19-2008, 01:16 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I am torn, as while the 5D + 24-105 f/4 IS is a fine combo, the thing is massive, possibly to the point where I'd almost rather own a D80 + 18-70 f/3.5-4.5. The 70-200 f/4L is another nice piece. I'm hoping that the DA* 60-250 f/4 will be similarly fine.

I assume you're really talking about the canon 100 f/2.8 macro. That sounds like a challenge that I'm up for should anyone want to send me one with a body to mount it on--I'm pretty certain I could take a bad picture with any equipment. While USM is probably a nice feature to add to ordinarily ponderously focusing macro lenses, and I'm sure the Canon you mention is a nice optic, other macro lenses are already so good that I find it very hard to believe that this one trounces the rest to the point where someone should seriously consider picking a system around it.

ah yep, sure it's 2.8.. I find it to have something characteristic that i like but can not quite explain.. But then again i am quite new to the business, and my untrained eyes may be seeing something other than an asses of the lens itself..

How would you compare that lens to "Pentax Telephoto smc P-D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro"?
09-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I voted Oly, though I'd do Canon as well. Reason? Both have adaptors by which I could mount just about any lens ever made.

09-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #35

Photos: Gallery | Albums
from what i read, it looks like "Nikon for the body, Canon for the lenses".. So why is it that Nikon is kicking ass on the poll.. I would not believe that people will vote bodies over lenses.
Maybe Canon's brand image naturally rubs Pentaxians the wrong way?
09-19-2008, 05:46 PM   #36
graphicgr8s

Well I just couldnt vote at all. Just can't see lowering my standards to canikon. Well if pressed maybe go upwards to Hasselblad.
09-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Seriously, canon lenses are really not that great. The long end big guns are superbs but that was all about it (300/2.8 400/2.8 500/4 600/4 not 400mm DO). I had the pleasure of using 500/4 for some time and pity that I just cannot afford it.

09-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #38
Damn Brit

I would go with Sigma because it is different. I like the way it is with colours.
09-19-2008, 06:52 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haven't voted.
First thought is Samsung then Nikon, but I would really want to have a look at what others had to offer before making that call.

Canon would be at the bottom of the list....on principle.
09-19-2008, 06:54 PM   #40
Inactive Account

A few comments on the contenders:

Sony is a company that I despise. They expressed open contempt for their U.S. customers years ago. They shipped pop music audio CDs that install a nasty root kit software on any Windows computer on which the CD is played. While I don't buy any pop music, I don't care for such business practices and I avoid their products whenever possible. Minolta was a company with a fine tradition and great innovation in photography. It was a shame to see them exit the business.

Olympus is also a company with great tradition in photography, especially in the compact OM series. They always made great lenses, and still do. The 4/3 system has some great technical innovation, but the performance comes up short in terms of weak high ISO performance, mediocre AF, and limited choice of lenses an accessories. And the high end lenses are very expensive. I have to pass on them.

Canon has evolved into a big company with lots of different products, including copiers and printers as well as cameras. They certainly tried to innovate to compete against the market leader Nikon for many years, and they have come up with some impressive products. The better Canon bodies and the L series lenses are nicely made, perform very well, and have a wide range of lenses to choose from. I never cared for the "Rebel" line (starting with the original Rebel film camera) as they seem to be poorly made plastic-y stuff. They work fine but they just don't feel nice in the hand. Canon is certainly a contender for most photography applications.

Nikon has stuck to the core business of photography to a greater degree than Canon. Canon has a broader range of photography products, but the Nikon products are generally equal to the Canon products in terms of price and performance where there are similar products. Nikon has far fewer fixed focal length lenses, but some of the best "pro quality" f2.8 zooms in the business, including the 14-24 f2.8 AF-S FX and the 24-70 f2.8 AF-S FX.

A year ago I decided to switch systems and I was faced with the choice of Canon or Nikon. I'm sure either would fit my needs, but my specific concern was a system to handle fast action sports and better low-light AF and image quality. I also decided to go with a few choice f2.8 zooms rather than a bunch of primes. I decided to go with Nikon for the following reasons: 1. I liked the ergonomics of the Nikon bodies better. I found the controls on the Canon bodies to be less logical and less convenient. Why does Canon put a dedicated "print" button on an advanced DSLR? 2. For the specific lenses I had selected, I liked the build quality of the Nikon lenses better. Compare the Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 VR to the Canon 17-55mm f2.8 EF-S lenses side by side, or the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR to the similar Canon IS lens, or the Nikon Micro 105mm f2.8 VR comared to the Canon Macro 100m f2.8. These were the lenses I was buying, and I just liked the feel and handling of the Nikon gear better. 3. Low-light performance of the Nikon cameras seemed better, and that lead has increased with the D3/300/700.

I was a close call but Nikon seemed better for me. I don't regret the choice but I would probably been satisfied with Canon as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I find my Micro Nikkor 105mm f2.8 VR to be more than equal to anything in this class. The Silent Wave Motor and Vibration Reduction don't add anything for macro shots, but they are a pleasure for general use. The close-up image quality is fantastic. It's beautifully built with a metal body and deep, silky focusing ring, and a sturdy deep hood. Only drawback is that it a big, heavy beast. If you take a bad picture with this lens it's your own fault. But in all honesty, the shots with a Pentax or Canon (or even a Sigma) 100mm macro are probably just as good, and those lenses are significantly cheaper and lighter.

Last edited by GaryML; 09-19-2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
09-19-2008, 08:25 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Nikon is usually better in terms of flash and macro lens comparing to canon.
09-19-2008, 09:30 PM   #42
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
canon
50d + 400 5.6 L
5dII + 24, 35, 50, 85, 135, 70-200 2.8 IS L

nikon doesn't have very interesting lenses

Do you mean cheap and interesting lenses? Otherwise I would consider the 14-24/24-70/70-200 f2.8 interesting, and the same goes for the 28 f1.4; 105 f2DC, 135f2DC, the new PC24 f2.8, micro 200 f4, 85 f1,4 and some others. You might have noticed that the cheaper is close to 1000USD thought.
09-19-2008, 09:43 PM   #43
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mamiya 645ZD or maybe the RZ67 & ZD back. 36x48mm sensor, 22mp and I have a bunch of manual focus lenses that I can use.
09-19-2008, 11:33 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Why is that? What does nikon offer agains canon?
SD cards up to the D90.
09-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I am seriously considering to switch to the new Canon 5D mark 2, unless Pentax comes with a better and more modern alternative to the K20D within a reasonable time.
I'm getting to be fed up with the poor availability and limited functionality of Pentax and third party suppliers. I'm holding up purcahses of lenses and a new flash awaiting this decision.

- Bert