Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: If you were to switch.. What would it be?
Canon 4420.28%
Nikon 12256.22%
Minolta 62.76%
Olympus 156.91%
Other 3013.82%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2009, 12:04 AM   #76
Voe
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lens wise I would like switch to Leica rangefinder if I have the money, that is.
I would only switch to Nikon for the good autofocus in their cameras.

12-07-2009, 12:24 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Watercolors, I think. Oils are too messy...

Chris
12-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Watercolors, I think. Oils are too messy...

Chris
Point of trivia: Much dissing was done upon Panasonic for the 'Renoir effect' of some of their NR schemes. (In the 'Venus Engine,' just one more thing that makes me think I was just born too early for Steampunk) But, Once I had the feel of basically how to get the right 'AE-L' out of the automation, objectionable noise was never a problem, so I just basically turned it off, so I never played with it like the 'Oooh, exotic color film substitute' it was to me, ... but I basically found a lot of OOF smearing to be more pleasant than looking like an overstretched video camera fringing all over the place: (Not that the lovely lens on my Fz-7 does much of that anyway, the way I expose: but it's a concern when you must be conventional on bright days) ...but it actually looked neat.

But it was nice, in that if you were in a situation past the little camera's capabilities, you could crank the NR and make some neat 'oil and watercolors' things happen. I don't recall this ever occuring in terms of a real 'keeper' shot, but it always had neat potential.

Now I have a Pentax, which may look 'grainy,' while stretching high ISO's, but I can get a look I like out of it. (I get banding at like 6400, I think whenever the cell phone is on my person, but I even otherwise like that) but I was never on the 'fine grain' bandwagon, even when that was the tech race of film days. Just... Does it look good.

Also, if you don't like messy, work in acrylics. I was always an oil painter at heart, myself, but acrylics, you can do with ruder facilities.
12-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #79
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
The traditional pathway away from Pentax is always Nikon.
Let me beat a path in a totally different direction.

I chose Voigtlander! Full frame (okay 35mm), metal bodies, sufficient accessories, full array of amazing lenses; what's not to love?

12-09-2009, 07:52 AM   #80
Veteran Member

I'd switch to a 5D to mount FA limiteds on...
12-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Samsung naturally (lenses), followed by Nikon, followed by Sony, followed by Sigma...

I'd quit photography before I ever owned a Canon!

Mike
12-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Samsung naturally (lenses), followed by Nikon, followed by Sony, followed by Sigma...

I'd quit photography before I ever owned a Canon!

Mike
I'm just curious because I think you've said something similar before, but what is it you dislike so much about Canon? I really have nothing against any of the brands...
12-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #83
Veteran Member

First, not because of the cameras. I'll be the first to acknowledge that Canon makes some damn fine cameras. So mainly my attitude is because, and this is just a personal observation... Some (not all of course but I'd say a strong plurality) Canon owners are the most stuck up people on the planet. I've lost track of the times I've been shooting and some guy with a Canon will start making smart-ass comments about "buying a real camera" and I've had 3 push in front of me at events muttering that the area was reserved for "professionals" (and one of these 3 was shooting with a freakin Rebel with a kit lens). One of them kept getting right in front of me until he bumped into the lens hood of the Bigma with his neck. It didn't cut him but it raised a heck of a scratch and he yelped like a stuck pig!

I've never encountered such attitudes from ANY Nikon shooter, indeed many of them talk about the first camera they ever owned being a Pentax K1000.

Additionally, I shoot Pentax because I like the equipment, the philosophy and the community. Canon simply offers none of those in a form that I like or wish to be a part of.

Naturally, I'll never quit photography, because even if Pentax were to disappear tomorrow, I still have perfectly good tools, both digital and analog that would let me continue without skipping a beat.

Mike

p.s. again, no offense intended to the many nice Canoniers out there, but as the saying goes, "the squeeky wheel gets the grease" and y'all have a lot of squeeky wheels making you look bad (to me anyway).

Last edited by MRRiley; 12-10-2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: clarification
12-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #84
Veteran Member

I think you're probably right that Canon attracts more d-bags than Nikon for some reason. I tape up the logos on my gear in great part to avoid the people who just care about brands, and I suppose a side effect of that is that I avoid people thinking I'm a sheep just for shooting Canon.
12-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #85
Site Supporter

Hysterical
QuoteOriginally posted by PaddyB Quote
Minolta...MAXXUM POWER!!!!!
12-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #86
Site Supporter

I'd switch to the Leica S2 system.
12-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #87
Veteran Member

First, not because of the cameras. I'll be the first to acknowledge that Canon makes some damn fine cameras. So mainly my attitude is because, and this is just a personal observation... Some (not all of course but I'd say a strong plurality) Canon owners are the most stuck up people on the planet. I've lost track of the times I've been shooting and some guy with a Canon will start making smart-ass comments about "buying a real camera" and I've had 3 push in front of me at events muttering that the area was reserved for "professionals" (and one of these 3 was shooting with a freakin Rebel with a kit lens). One of them kept getting right in front of me until he bumped into the lens hood of the Bigma with his neck. It didn't cut him but it raised a heck of a scratch and he yelped like a stuck pig!

I've never encountered such attitudes from ANY Nikon shooter, indeed many of them talk about the first camera they ever owned being a Pentax K1000.

Additionally, I shoot Pentax because I like the equipment, the philosophy and the community. Canon simply offers none of those in a form that I like or wish to be a part of.

Naturally, I'll never quit photography, because even if Pentax were to disappear tomorrow, I still have perfectly good tools, both digital and analog that would let me continue without skipping a beat.

Mike

p.s. again, no offense intended to the many nice Canoniers out there, but as the saying goes, "the squeeky wheel gets the grease" and y'all have a lot of squeeky wheels making you look bad (to me anyway).
Wow I thought I was the only one that thought that. I am not a fan of Canon because of that reason.
12-13-2009, 03:57 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Mike

Quite the reverse with me Mike; I have met some stuck up Nikon owners and thats what turned me off at least partialy. I am a friendly Canon owner, but really, we should not judge a brand cause the owners think their sh*t don't stank....
12-23-2009, 07:46 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Other - Leica M9 with 35 mm lens to start with and more lenses along the way.
12-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #90
Forum Member

Why only have one system?

Why should anybody limit themselves to one system? I have a full Pentax (film) system and a full Canon (film and digital) system, and I pick the one that suits my needs. Pentax when I need a lightweight setup, and it's my preferred travel camera. LX is built like a tank and I have a good set of primes. Canon when I'm shooting sports (sorry, Canon AF is faster than anything I've seen so far), and when I can lug around heavier gear (My EOS-3 or 10D both outweigh my LX by several hundred grams).

If I were to switch to a whole new system, I've always been intrigued by Contax, but I might even go to an AF 645 format.