Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 05:20 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Musty mildew smell in camera bags

How can you get rid of a mildewy funk smell in camera bags. I have a few old free bags that I like the look of but they smell off. Is there a way to treat them?

08-31-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was thinking of trying these remedies.

How to Clean Mold on a Suitcase | Hunker

Nether bag has visible mold or mildew. No lenses have been harmed either as I haven't used these.
08-31-2018, 05:39 PM   #3
Lab

Photos: Gallery
I have used vinegar and baking soda on carpets with generally good results. I would give it a try on an old bag
08-31-2018, 05:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Air them out on a dry, sunny day. Flip every hour so direct sunlight gets into all the spaces. That will reduce smell and kill surface mildew. The smell will return if mildew has soaked into padding.

Lysol or other disinfectant sprays can also help with surface mildew.

You could risk soaking them in a diluted bleach solution. That will kill hidden mildew but risks damage if internal supports are made from something flimsy like cardboard. Rinse then dry in the sun.

08-31-2018, 05:47 PM   #5
AoCo
Loyal Site Supporter

Febreese will eliminate the odor but it comes back in a few months if the air is damp.
08-31-2018, 05:57 PM   #6

These are supposed to do the trick. Various versions to de-oderize boats, cars, cellars or what ever. Put the bag in a small room or a large RubberMaid container and pop the Star Brite off.

amazon.com: Star brite MDG Mildew Odor Control - Fast Release Formula: Sports & Outdoors?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I usually just leave the smelly bag outdoors (open) in the bright sun for a few days, bringing them in at night. Shake n baking in a garbage bag with cup or two of baking soda can help too. Shake out the baking soda and vacuum out the rest.

If the bag will survive it you can try tossing in the washing machine with a little bleach - chlorine is probably better than an oxygen bleach but either should help.