Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2018, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was MIA

Haven't been on for about a week. Roofers removed the old roof (shingles), and laid the "tarpaper" last week. That evening high winds came up, and ripped about half of the tarpaper off. Then of course it poured just about all night.

Well, the entire East side of the house got flooded, not just dripping inside, but actually a waterfall down all the east walls! Just barely got my computer dried off & covered. Then my phone got wet, and I lost service. I have a medical alert system, so when phone was no longer "connected"; every 15 minutes a very loud "Calling for Help" came on! Wouldn't do any good to disconnect it, as it's battery backup; so I was up the entire night!

Next day, some friends came and moved all the furniture away from the east side, and had to pull up the carpet for about 5', because it was also soaked! They put 4 large fans to help dry things out, so they were running 24/7; sounded like a low flying airplane constantly! So for 4 days, I could not even move around the house, period!

Thankfully, they did finally get the roof completed, and yesterday, got the carpet & furniture put back. Now I have to go thru all the papers, etc., that got soaked.

Anyway, so happy I was able to save the computer, and glad to be back on this forum!

09-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
glad you are back

perhaps something here can put a smile back on your face
09-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Allen, it's really good to be back among friends; that definitely helps!
09-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear of the disaster.Hopefully insurance will cover the financial side of things (I know it can't replace the sentimental) and no one suffered physically.

Welcome back!

09-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh no, what a nightmare, Carol

Glad they finished the roof and you're safe from the elements again. Hope you get your papers sorted out, but the main thing is you're OK.

Great to have you back with us!
09-20-2018, 11:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad you survived that ordeal! Welcome back
09-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tim, Mike, and Paul; thank you! I'm just so happy I was able to save the computer! You can't imagine the horror when you see water pouring down on the computer, monitor, and all connected accessories. My phone (landline) did dry out, and is again working, so that helps.

It's just so nice to be back on here!

09-20-2018, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Sounds like a pretty crappy week, glad to hear it all got sorted out.
09-20-2018, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #9
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am glad you are back, Carol. I hope the recovery keeps going well. It's more than just a hassle when things like that happen, but it is good to have friends who can help - even if we on the Forum can only offer a few words of sympathy.
09-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I was MIA
Hey Hun, you should have said earlier... we'd have all come round with huge sheets of blotting paper... of course based on the assumption you'd keep us in alcohol.
09-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Frankly, if I would have had enough on hand, I've have finished off all the alcohol!

Would have taken more than blotters, I had plastic sacks everywhere. When I ran out of buckets, etc., I lined cardboard boxes with trash bags, to help catch some of the water. My carpet shampoo unit sucked a tremendous amount of water out of the rugs, before they were pulled back from the wall.

It was indeed a mess.
09-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The perils of roof maintenance! "Over here", our rooves are generally built of "stronger stuff" (although mine doesn't actually have a barrier layer under the 90 yr old ceramic tiles) - and when, as most do, rooves do have a barrier layer then it is a very robust bitumen-based one.

"Condolences", never the less.
09-20-2018, 02:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad to hear that you and your computer survived the night, Carol. I don’t feel so bad now about losing one roof tile in a recent storm, here.

I hope your insurance covers most of the damage, but there’s always something irreplaceable that gets lost in these events. Hopefully, it wasn’t too precious, in your case.
09-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! All your posts certainly are comforting! Still a lot of little things that have to find their "place" again, and some I have no idea where they went! But, I'm extremely fortunate; had I went to bed, I might not have discovered the water before it completely wrecked my computer, monitor, and all my stereo equipment. (Yes, I have a component stereo, complete with a turntable!) My landline phone dried out, and is working again; don't know if that's a blessing or not, as the spam calls are once again calling.

It's great to be able to come "home" here again!
09-20-2018, 04:35 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gosh Carol. I hope you'll have a stern word with your roofers. No professional roofing team leaves a roof exposed like that. They could have covered exposed areas with a tarp if rain was forecast. In fact, it begs the question, with long range forecasts available these days, why they exposed the roof at all if the weather was changeable.