Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2018, 01:03 AM   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
First, the old roof.

#2 new roof
The new roof looks great, Carol!

Out of interest, what's the typical (if there is such a thing) lifespan of that kind of roofing?

Whilst there's a wide variety of roofing used here in the UK, we most commonly install concrete, slate or clay tiles. Typical life expectancy is around 60 years, with good slate tiles lasting even longer. The big downside is the cost... Complete replacement of a roof on an average family home can be as much as GBP £8k (USD $10.5k) using basic concrete tiles, more for clay, and considerably more for slate.

09-23-2018, 03:25 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Folks, I have no intention of suing or threatening the roofer(s). Everything turned out ok, the roof is beautiful, and I just want to move on. Here in the US, people sue at the drop of a hat; I'm not one of them.

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts, it was most appreciated!
Can't blame you Carol. I share your viewpoint.
As the saying goes: If the only tool you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail.

Your new roof looks good.
09-23-2018, 03:26 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

Out of interest, what's the typical (if there is such a thing) lifespan of that kind of roofing?

Whilst there's a wide variety of roofing used here in the UK, we most commonly install concrete, slate or clay tiles. Typical life expectancy is around 60 years, with good slate tiles lasting even longer. The big downside is the cost... Complete replacement of a roof on an average family home can be as much as GBP £8k (USD $10.5k) using basic concrete tiles, more for clay, and considerably more for slate.
By us, Mike, most roofs are long-run metal. What in the UK would only be fit for the shed!
But, much safer in an earthquake.
09-23-2018, 03:44 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
By us, Mike, most roofs are long-run metal. What in the UK would only be fit for the shed!
But, much safer in an earthquake.
I'm guessing the noise during a rainstorm is a bit of a bitch

09-23-2018, 07:05 AM   #35
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
"Out of interest, what's the typical (if there is such a thing) lifespan of that kind of roofing?"

Mike; Asphalt shingles last for around 20 years.
09-23-2018, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
We've had quite heavy rain here the last few days, it makes quite a din, challenging to sleep.
We had a five minute burst of torrential downpour, it sounded like you were standing under a train bridge.
09-23-2018, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

Tiled roof on our place is from around 1925 - so around 93-94 yrs old - only need a very few tiles repaired/replaced since I bought it in 1977

09-23-2018, 07:31 AM   #38
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The reason I didn't go with metal roofing, is metal roofing is about two to three times more expensive than asphalt shingles. That's a huge difference; and at my age a 20 year roof no doubt will outlive me!
09-23-2018, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The reason I didn't go with metal roofing, is metal roofing is about two to three times more expensive than asphalt shingles. That's a huge difference; and at my age a 20 year roof no doubt will outlive me!
That's funny Carol. I am not quite your age, but that is the same logic I used. The new steel roofs are great and have about a 50 year lifespan.
09-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #40
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Frankly, if I would have had enough on hand, I've have finished off all the alcohol!
Good to know that your all wind and water tight again.

Now more importantly... do you fresh supplies of alcohol in? I'm not coming to visit a "dry" abode.
09-23-2018, 09:01 AM   #41
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
For you, I would definitely have a "wet" abode, and I don't mean rain!
09-23-2018, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #42
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
For you, I would definitely have a "wet" abode, and I don't mean rain!
Carol, you just say all the right things XXX
09-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Not too much, the insulation in the roof dampens the noise. But, of course, because we're used to it, we find rain on the roof a soothing sound.
09-23-2018, 12:54 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yikes! By us it's the other way round. Which is one of the reasons asphalt shingles are hardly ever used.
09-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #45
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, I would have preferred metal, but the cost was not possible!