Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2018, 09:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Non Pentax Camera or Lens

Why this forum is sharing/posted with non pentax camera or lens used?

09-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
Why this forum is sharing/posted with non pentax camera or lens used?

What do you mean?

09-22-2018, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There’s a lot of us that shoot more than just Pentax. I personally know die hard Nikon shooters that own Spotmatics and MX cameras, so it’s not uncommon.

While Pentax is my primary camera, I also shoot Voigtlander and will share some of those pictures here in the appropriate threads. We may be Pentax afficianados, but we’re still just photographers getting together to share what we see and capture.
09-22-2018, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Apart from a Pentax K200D and K-x, I also have a Samsung NX100 and NX1. They were all bought used via internet ads in the last two years. Each one has a special appeal. My favorite is the NX1 because of its low light abilities. The K-x give me live view which makes living with my collection of MF Pentax lenses easier. The NX100 is the camera I can take with me everywhere. The K200D has wonderful color in good light.

09-22-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is a pentax forum. We must share photos ( supposed to be ) using pentax camera with or whithout pentax lens, or other cameras using pentax lens, provided pentax gear is present.
Some posting are totaly canon, or other gears without pentax ( except for illustration only that uses like cell phone photos ) which i think inappropriate to this forum.
How do you feel if you have pentax taken photos posted on canon forum? How do you feel your photo is taken by canon and posted on pentax forum?
09-22-2018, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some of us also share photos from non-Pentax point and shoot cameras. See the Point and Shoot Competition threads.

Point and Shoot Competition #125 - Almost Anything Goes - PentaxForums.com
09-22-2018, 12:33 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I frequently use Pentax lenses on other bodies.
I sometimes use non-Pentax lenses on Pentax bodies.

We're not all 'fan boys' whom insist upon a single brand. We're a pretty accommodating bunch.

09-22-2018, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

as I understand it

Adam has set up a part of the forum for

" What to post in the Off-Brand section at PentaxForums

Feel free to discuss any non-Pentax SLR or camera in this forum, including those compatible with M42 and K-Mount Pentax lenses. "

Read more at: What to post in the Off-Brand section at PentaxForums - PentaxForums.com

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/

in addition, a member who chooses to set up a thread in the forums may indicate any limitations regarding what camera or lens should be used for the images to be posted in that thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/3...ml#post4062263

I like to be able to know what others can do with their chosen camera and lens - YMMV

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-22-2018 at 12:43 PM.
09-22-2018, 01:32 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You need to step back and take a deep breath. In addition to Pentax specific posts, much of the information presented here can apply to all photographer. I have used Pentax for 52 years and don't currently have a modern Pentax body. I have four Sony bodies, but have no less interest in Pentax. You might also consider that the owner of this forum shoots with other equipment , in addition to Pentax. If things are unbearable on the forum, you have the option of ignoring the parts you don't like.

Good luck!
09-22-2018, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Generally speaking we like either the lens or the camera or both to be Pentax (and for some of the photo competitions it's a requirement that at least one be), but there are subsections of the forums where it's quite permissible to have neither.
09-22-2018, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #11
Unregistered User

I haven't noticed it to be a problem. Pentax Forums are generally more tolerant than other forums I've looked at, I would rather have a more open exchange of ideas than a more limited one. Once in a while trolls for a particular camera or make show up here, but they are usually ignored.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 09-23-2018 at 06:51 AM. Reason: typo
09-22-2018, 02:55 PM - 5 Likes   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pentax forums is not the same as "nothing but Pentax" forums. If we don't keep our minds open to those users who choose to use different bodies, lenses, or systems altogether, we'd actually be doing a very big disservice to everyone involved in the community. It's perfectly understandable that someone who owns a Pentax might also be using another brand due to their needs or preferences. This in turns brings fresh ideas and perspectives.

That said, there are some photo sections that are Pentax-only, such as the monthly photo contests, some member challenges, and some of our giveaways.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-22-2018, 11:51 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax forums is not the same as "nothing but Pentax" forums. If we don't keep our minds open to those users who choose to use different bodies, lenses, or systems altogether, we'd actually be doing a very big disservice to everyone involved in the community. It's perfectly understandable that someone who owns a Pentax might also be using another brand due to their needs or preferences. This in turns brings fresh ideas and perspectives.
These attitude and behaviour are things that makes Pentaxforums a beautiful place with lots of friendly people, very different from other sites . It's RESPECT for other people. Thanks Adam and thanks Pentaxforums.
09-23-2018, 04:33 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax forums is not the same as "nothing but Pentax" forums. If we don't keep our minds open to those users who choose to use different bodies, lenses, or systems altogether, we'd actually be doing a very big disservice to everyone involved in the community.
This is especially the case given how many other systems can use the older, MF lenses, and the fact that there are Samsung digital cameras which are Pentax clones and share compatibility with many lenses that are still currently available (e.g. the DA Limiteds).

Even the FA Limiteds and the last two FA primes (50/1.4 and 35/2) still on sale can be used in manual mode at a pinch with the aperture ring on MILC bodies (and that means Nikon too, very soon; IIRC their register distance should allow them to do this with zero-glass adapters). That's $$$ in Pentax's pocket and a rosier future for the company.
09-23-2018, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is a public place where questions, opinions are discussed and answered with or with out reference to Pentax camera bodies or lens. The response is quite impressive so I say sorry for those offended by my posting. There is no such rules as Pentax only, so open to all who participate and give their views.