Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2018, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hurricane Michael

About 3 years ago I decided to go into law enforcement and became a Deputy Sheriff here in Okaloosa County Florida.

Yesterday morning we enacted Emergency Protocol due to the hurricane, which means every Deputy is on duty for 12 hour shifts, either day or night. I came in early this morning at 0400 hours (shift began at 0600) but we already had heavy rain and starting wind. It’s now noon and our sustained winds are reaching 40mph and are soon expected to reach upwards of 75mph. Yes, I work by the Gulf of Mexico, just west of Destin.

I made sure to bring my K3 and DA20-40 so I’ll have some photos to share when we finally get a day off. But I have to laugh with the way people look at me when get my Pentax out in the driving rain for a shot.

10-10-2018, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

stay safe please

good luck to you and everyone else in the path of the storm as it moves through Florida, Georgia South Carolina and North Carolina
10-10-2018, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Stay safe Tony. Especially when working the extra hours that this storm will probably require.
10-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Good luck Tony, and as others have already said, please stay safe. I guess you and your colleagues will be even busier than usual.

We've had some news coverage here in the UK, so I'll be watching with interest and hoping for the best (in the circumstances)...

10-11-2018, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for your concern. This morning at 0600 we were released of our emergency status. When I started shift yesterday morning, the hurricane was due south of us. Although they expected it to turn east, as it did, I've been through hurricanes Erin, Opal and Dennis, and it is not uncommon for the hurricane to "wobble" before it comes ashore, changing the landing point by up to 100 miles.

My area I worked was just west of the bridge which seemed to be the dividing line between major damage and little damage. We saw sustained winds of 40mph for nearly 5 hours with gusts between 50 and 55mph. Those on the other side of the bridge saw much worse.

My prayers go out to those where it made landfall. My wife is a Trauma Nurse here at the local Emergency Room. Last night they were transporting patients from the hospital at Panama City (landfall point) to her hospital all night. The roof of their hospital blew off, and as I write this, they are still digging patients and staff out of the rubble.

Here's a few images from my area...

Moving a travel trailer is not a good idea during the storm...

About 1million people are expected to be without power...

The storm surge was the most dangerous part of the storm. We saw 3-6 foot surge, landfall saw over 13 foot...

10-11-2018, 06:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Glad to hear you and your family are ok. Take care.
10-11-2018, 10:05 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Glad you're okay Tony.

I heard from a friend tonight who's also a member here. He said he's out of power because of this storm, the power pole in front of his house was broken in half, the transformer at his job was blown and there were trees across the power lines just down the road. I'm thankful he is okay enough he could text me. He's in Varina, VA, just outside Richmond.

10-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Glad you're ok. I just returned from Vero Beach and our 50th reunion of the VBHS class of 68. Several of our members live in the panhandle and couldn't make it but have checked in as being ok. Our east coast visit wasn't all that pleasant as severe red tide moved in 2 days before we arrived and all the beaches were closed for miles along the coast.