Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Any legal issues with posting photos from car show on personal website?

Basically the title covers my question. Can I post pictures taken during car show on my personal web site? It would be used for blog article.

09-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
Forum Member

I'm no lawyer, but that sounds to me like it would be "editorial use", which should be fine.
There is lots of useful information at Photo Attorney
09-23-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

As long as there is a caption where the images are posted from.
09-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some people like their license plate numbers edited out, so you might want to consider doing that.

09-23-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If a lawyer can get involved, they will.
09-24-2008, 07:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GENERALLY.... if the car show was open to the general public (and it doesn't matter if you paid to get in or not) and there were no signs prohibiting or limiting photography, you should be fine. This is no different than if the car was on a public street and you photographed it. There is NO reasonable expectation of "privacy" at such a show, indeed the participants are inviting exposure of their cars. The only thing you really should do on your website is describe the show and if possible list the owner of each car. This shows good faith on your part that you are not trying to take credit for the craftmanship or the artwork on the car.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. If you want real legal advise consult a lawyer and even then you could still end up in court...

Last edited by MRRiley; 09-24-2008 at 08:24 AM.
09-25-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Coming from a car community ... I agree with MRRiley on this one.

If the patricipant is attending a show to show off their vehicle in public ... than they are allowing exposure to their vehicle. If they do not want this ... then don't attend the show in the first place.

It's like people on forums wishing their numberplates to be obscured ... not sure why they want that ... as on the road you are not allowed to obscure them anyway ... and govt departments are allowed to take images of your vehicle via traffic cameras/speed cameras/red light cameras.

If asked nicely though ... I will obscure numberplates for users on a forum though.
09-26-2008, 05:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all who replied.

I think part of the license plate is visible only on one picture so I will take that out. Other than that those are pictures for blog article so I guess I am not braking any laws by posting them.