Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2008, 06:10 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I did the survey for the simple reason that this simple request irked Gooshin so much.
what a way to live your life, to do something in spite. :ugh:

Guess i should tell everyone to vote for McCain..... and you all do the opposite

09-26-2008, 07:41 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"People... why can’t we all just get along?” The Joker (Batman, 1989)
09-26-2008, 09:03 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
what a way to live your life, to do something in spite. :ugh:

Guess i should tell everyone to vote for McCain..... and you all do the opposite
I keep waiting for an election in some non-US country where millions of Americans express an opinion one way or the other about which candidate they want to win.....and act as though their opinion ought to count for something. Goodness knows the mirror image of that has long since grown tiresome.
09-26-2008, 09:05 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
"People... why can’t we all just get along?” The Joker (Batman, 1989)
What Mike said. Survey completed and I agree on some of the questions must have lost a little something in translation. Good luck with your thesis.

09-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Gooshin, I'm sorry if the OP's request bothered you, but whenever you asked fellow members for help, nobody passed comments regarding if you where worthy of their help: they just helped. As for myself, my wife is handicapped, so I learned a long time ago the value of help, since she needs help with a lot of things. So, when somebody ask for help politely, whenever I can I will help. I never know when I'll need help for my wife or myself, so if I want people to help me, I have to help them, too. It's simple: I scratch your back, you scratch mine. It just makes an easier world to live in.
09-28-2008, 05:09 AM   #36
Inactive Account

I keep waiting for an election in some non-US country where millions of Americans express an opinion one way or the other about which candidate they want to win.....and act as though their opinion ought to count for something. Goodness knows the mirror image of that has long since grown tiresome.
You are right - millions of Americans simply don't care what happens elsewhere the realm of international politics or especially internal politics of other countries. But trust me Mike, many Canadians do care who wins the American federal election. Being our closest neighbor and largest trading partner (80%) we wait with great trepidation as to whom will direct the US government. The front page of the (Toronto) Saturday Star displayed pictures of both US leaders and articles relating to the recent televised debate. We are in the midst of our own federal elections but US politics dominates the media scene. Yeah, it matters to the rest of the world when the giant sneezes, because we are all going to catch a cold.
09-28-2008, 05:54 AM   #37
Veteran Member

well, I just took the survey. It was quite a nice distraction from what's been going on in my life this weekend. Good luck on your thesis, Reinout.

09-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
You are right - millions of Americans simply don't care what happens elsewhere the realm of international politics or especially internal politics of other countries. But trust me Mike, many Canadians do care who wins the American federal election. Being our closest neighbor and largest trading partner (80%) we wait with great trepidation as to whom will direct the US government. The front page of the (Toronto) Saturday Star displayed pictures of both US leaders and articles relating to the recent televised debate. We are in the midst of our own federal elections but US politics dominates the media scene. Yeah, it matters to the rest of the world when the giant sneezes, because we are all going to catch a cold.
I fully understand all that and appreciate your genuine concern. I never said others shouldn't care what happens in the U.S. election. I phrased my opinion carefully, but past experience shows that people tend to read into it what I did not say.

What is tiresome is when people act as though American election outcomes are or ought to be under some sort of obligation to reflect their wishes. Simplistically speaking (ignoring the electoral college), up to 1/2 minus 1 of the people who actually do have the right to vote and thereby directly influence the outcome aren't going to get their way either. It is beyond ridiculous when American media report on how candidates are doing in polls in Europe, for example, with the unspoken message that the American electorate ought to feel obligated to vote according to the wishes of our more enlightened European friends.

At any rate, my absentee ballot has arrived, been filled out, and will be mailed today. Would you believe I've been voting since 1984 and have never voted in a polling place in my life? Never done it any way other than absentee.
09-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #39
Inactive Account

I fully understand all that and appreciate your genuine concern. I never said others shouldn't care what happens in the U.S. election. I phrased my opinion carefully, but past experience shows that people tend to read into it what I did not say.

What is tiresome is when people act as though American election outcomes are or ought to be under some sort of obligation to reflect their wishes. Simplistically speaking (ignoring the electoral college), up to 1/2 minus 1 of the people who actually do have the right to vote and thereby directly influence the outcome aren't going to get their way either. It is beyond ridiculous when American media report on how candidates are doing in polls in Europe, for example, with the unspoken message that the American electorate ought to feel obligated to vote according to the wishes of our more enlightened European friends.

At any rate, my absentee ballot has arrived, been filled out, and will be mailed today. Would you believe I've been voting since 1984 and have never voted in a polling place in my life? Never done it any way other than absentee.
Thanks for clarifying, my head is a bit fuzzy today - late night stag for my soon to be wed son. But that's just an excuse - I'll try read your comments more carefully.

I'm glad you exercise your right and privilege to cast your vote - especially since you are not in the country at this time. It's encouraging to actually see someone that actually gives a damn.
10-01-2008, 06:19 AM   #40
Inactive Account

Original Poster
You guys are really great, i think about 40 of you filled in the survey. More than ik could have hoped for. I promise i will post my results when they're done!
10-01-2008, 06:38 AM   #41
Inactive Account

I did the survey.

It was a polite request and if someone didn't want to do it they weren't obligated. I saw nothing wrong with the OP and request.

Great thing about online forums, if you don't want to read something, you don't have to.

To the OP, it would be interesting to see the results here for all to see what the outcome was. Just a thought.
10-02-2008, 07:38 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have a degree in marketing. Remember how tough it was to get people to do surveys. So I filled it out. Good luck with the research.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT #11 CONTEST WINNERS. Enter #12. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now!