Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #16
Igilligan

Gary....

We are connected somehow... I am struggling right now with the same decision. I am thinking of switching to apple and the IMAC. I really wanted a matt screen so I was looking for one of the older white imacs but the apple store is not selling refurbs of them any more.

I agree with all that has been advised so far... I get the base 2gig ram and add switch to 4 gig from crucial... get as big a hard drive as you can afford, but you will end up with ext harddrive anyway and it is pretty cheap.

I kept hearing rumors they were releasing a new mac mini with faster speeds and more available ram... so I have been holding out for that (so I can buy a matt 24" monitor) or a new IMAC with matt screen options...

By glasses and the window reflections in my home/office play havoc with the highly reflective screens...

Are you PC based now? I look forward to hearing how you like the IMAC when you get it...

your pal
gus

09-25-2008, 01:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

self built PC's are still superior to Macs

if you can self build a PC, the only reason to switch to Mac is if you admit that you like their interface better, for whatever reason.

or if you do 3D animation and video work, but thats a pretty tight niche.
09-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #18
Igilligan

I wish I had those skills

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

if you can self build a PC, the only reason to switch to Mac is if you admit that you like their interface better, for whatever reason.

I am pretty much a computer dunce... I wish I had the knowledge to build my own PC. My old Xp has crashed twice in the last year and I tried vista on my friends laptop... not for me...

So that is the main reason I am thinking apple. Lots of my San Fran pals are mac heads, so hopefully they are just a phonecall away to walk me thru the switch-over...
09-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #19
Banned

QuoteQuote:
trying to tell mac people that is like trying to tell a canon user that his camera and lenses aren't perfect in every conceivable way... its a lost cause, and likely very dangerous to ones mental and physical health.

09-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
trying to tell mac people that is like trying to tell a canon user that his camera and lenses aren't perfect in every conceivable way... its a lost cause, and likely very dangerous to ones mental and physical health.
my flame suit is on 24/7
09-25-2008, 03:03 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

Isn't the ONLY reason someone would switch the user interface, regardless of their computer abilities? The hardware is similar for both types of operating systems now, with Apple using Intel processors. For $800 you can build a Mac Pro competitor, but getting the Mac operating system on it is a little difficult, and applying updates to the software even more. Apple has quite a monopoly on what hardware runs their OS. If I could legally, I would buy a copy of it and load it onto a custom built PC. It isn't really about fanboy-ism, it is that I prefer their user interface and Aperture, which is some great processing software for photography. The iMac experience I had solidifies my belief that Apples products are going downhill quality wise. Having 5 notebooks from Apple over 3 years, I have noticed the operating system gets better but the hardware is worse. My old iBooks and PowerBooks held up far better to usage than my MacBook.

Oh, and Igiligan, I would strongly recommend buying a white Intel iMac if you can. They were the first of the Intel ones, so if you want to you can run Windows alongside OS X so you may run windows programs should you find something that will only run for Windows. Also, the larger ones had the same high quality display as the Apple Cinema Displays, which are matte, and don't have any backlight or uneven lighting problems. The new aluminum and black ones were a mistake, I say.
09-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

if you know whats what then you know that there are ways to save on a windows OS vs Mac OS if you know whats who how and where can get it now then and whatever...

get it

think linux mentality applied to non linux things

09-25-2008, 03:20 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by petenick Quote
Oh, and Igiligan, I would strongly recommend buying a white Intel iMac if you can. They were the first of the Intel ones, so if you want to you can run Windows alongside OS X so you may run windows programs should you find something that will only run for Windows.
to run windows, it has to be the Intel processor. doesn't matter if it's new / old, color etc. you have to install boot camp on it. before when it first came out boot camp was free but it probably is not now.
09-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
to run windows, it has to be the Intel processor. doesn't matter if it's new / old, color etc. you have to install boot camp on it. before when it first came out boot camp was free but it probably is not now.
Yes, but a white one is the only Intel one with a matte screen, which he says is a requirement.
09-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

ah ok. was a bit misleading there the way i read it.
09-25-2008, 04:24 PM   #26
Igilligan

The white 24" disappeared off of the Apple store refurb lists when the latest IMACs came out, Now the refurbs go back to the original alum models but no further. I keep watching the local craigslist but have not really found one that fits the bill... I think a new, faster intel with more ram 'mac-mini' might just be the ticket, but the rumors of its existence started 7 months ago... and still no minimac...

Any tips on a good white 24imac?
09-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #27

lowendmac.com has alot of links on it for online retailers, and also bi-weekly they do a deals list and post the best deals for certain macs on the web. Check it out! It is where I found small dog electronics, which was the best deal for an aluminum iMac.
09-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
You can also use Parallels.
09-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #29

I haven't tried parallels or bootcamp yet. I use VM Ware Fusion, and have XP Pro and Linux installed as OS's on it. Works pretty good, but you need plenty of RAM to run an OS within an OS
09-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #30
Damn Brit

Thanks for all the input guys, keep it coming.

Gus, I already run Mac on a Macbook