Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #31
Igilligan

Then I will be needing your phone # when I get my MAC... haha

09-25-2008, 08:38 PM   #32
graphicgr8s

Just get a PC. 2 hard drives, 3-4 megs ram and pocket the difference.
09-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
trying to tell mac people that is like trying to tell a canon user that his camera and lenses aren't perfect in every conceivable way... its a lost cause, and likely very dangerous to ones mental and physical health.
Séamuis, I think I want to marry you.

I'm with other posters - never trust a computer you didn't put together yourself with sweat, hope and Arctic Silver.
10-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the Imac 24" and I would hold off on buying RAM from Apple, because you can buy it cheaper from other vendors way cheaper. I bought a 2 gig chip for $69 bucks to upgrade to 4 gig and it made all the difference in the world running Lightroom. (From Walmart and it is PNY memory) The Ram is real easy to replace. Spend your money on the better graphics card. The graphics card is hard wired so what you buy is what you get no second chances. You cannot upgrade a graphics card as easy like a PC. Cheaper to buy external Hard drives too than pay Apple prices. My wife is going to school so I got the student discount so if you can go that route you will save yourself some bucks....Lightroom is cheaper too...$99 bucks with the student discount. I am no techno geek but I can say one thing about my imac....it hasn't crashed with all the large RAW files I have shoved in it....nice tool for photographers...

10-02-2008, 01:42 AM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Eastern Shore Charlie Quote
I am no techno geek but I can say one thing about my imac....it hasn't crashed with all the large RAW files I have shoved in it...
...neither has my almost 5 year old PC running on XP Pro. Maybe that's not a great yardstick, though. :ugh:
10-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Hi, I'm getting an Imac next month, any tips on where to buy and what to add on.
I'm going to get the 24" model and I plan to get 4g ram installed. Do I need the bigger hard drive? Is it worth getting the 1 terrabyte hard drive or is the 750g one enough?
Thanks for your input.

hey DAM Britt ...LOL

Ask over in the Mac forum for your specific area, i wouldn't say from the Apple store because you'll need to network with the photograpgers who use Macs so buy where they buy from, so when you're in there you can network, the staff should also be more knowledgable regarding photographers needs vs the normal Apple store. (This may not be the case with the local Apple store in your area but it is of the majority of them,)
Regardless of what size HDD you start with be prepared to add more in the future, what you should consider is can the iMac handle a lot of RAM, where most of your work will be going thru.

...and i use PCs because i find Macs too slow and restrictive although very pretty
10-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #37

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet but don't buy your 4GB of ram from Apple. You can get it for roughly 1/2 the cost from any reputable vendor and it's INSANELY easy to install.

Otherwise, enjoy. I bought my first Mac in Oct 2007, bought my fiancee one for Christmas that year, then my best friend got a Macbook Pro, my father and brother now have iMac's as well.

I love mine, it's trouble free and more importantly worry free. After 15 years of building my own PC's, I'll never go back. The OS is simple, elegant, virus and spyware free 100% of the time.

This is coming from someone who has been in IT straight out of College. I used to despise them, now... not so much.

Also, I'd check into MacMall. With their rebates on the Mac ($100), Parallels Virtualization software ($70) and a free printer ($80), tax free to boot you come out about 400 dollars 'ahead'. This makes up for the refurb pricing. Parallels allows you to run Windows or Linux in tandem with OS X, as opposed to one or the other (as bootcamp does).. however bootcamp can be very valuable too if you chose to work in Windows only for specific tasks.

10-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
...neither has my almost 5 year old PC running on XP Pro. Maybe that's not a great yardstick, though. :ugh:
In my eyes it is...