Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2018, 04:48 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
In NY, we have been paying sales tax for years on mail order items so we're used to it.
I think most states are following NY with sales tax collection.

For what it's worth, I don't shop online or by mail to try to save on tax.
I live in a rural area and for a lot to things, mail order is the only way I can get things.

Amazon has been collecting NYS tax on most sales for years now.
It hasn't seemed to hurt their business.

Commercial sellers on eBay with a presence in-state also collect tax.
For everyone else I'm sure eBay will continue to fight hard against it.
For many the no tax, virtual yard sale atmosphere is a strong component of eBay's appeal.

I too do most of my non-food shopping online.
I work the overnight shift, and the only store that's open
when I'm on my way to or from work is the supermarket.

Chris

12-03-2018, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
For everyone else I'm sure eBay will continue to fight hard against it.
FWIW, there's not really anything for EBay to fight, it's now the law of the land that states may charge tax on purchases made from out-of-state sellers, even if the seller does not have a physical presence in the taxing state. It's due to the Supreme Court decision this past summer in South Dakota v. Wayfair.

I've noticed that most states seem to use the parameters of the SD law presented in the Wayfair case, namely sales exceeding $100,000 or 200 transactions. That's the safest way for states to proceed for now, though I expect them to lower those parameters in the near future.
12-03-2018, 07:38 AM   #33
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
FWIW, there's not really anything for EBay to fight, it's now the law of the land that states may charge tax on purchases made from out-of-state sellers, even if the seller does not have a physical presence in the taxing state. It's due to the Supreme Court decision this past summer in South Dakota v. Wayfair.

I've noticed that most states seem to use the parameters of the SD law presented in the Wayfair case, namely sales exceeding $100,000 or 200 transactions. That's the safest way for states to proceed for now, though I expect them to lower those parameters in the near future.
100 % correct