Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only B&H and KEH Are Charging Sales Tax On My Gear Orders

Lately I've noticed that photography gear I have purchased on-line from B&H (NY,NY) and KEH (Atlanta, GE) I'm charged "sales tax". They didn't used to charge a sales tax on my orders. Neither company has a physical location in Wisconsin where I live.

Last week I messaged B&H asking why they are now charging a sales tax on my orders. So far, B&H has not answered my email question.

I just did some checking. As of today, none of the following major USA on-line photo retailers charge sales tax on my orders: Roberts Camera (Indianapolis, IN), Adorama (Boston, MA), or Kenmore Camera )Kenmore WA).

All things being equal, I just might buy my future photo gear from Roberts, Adorama, or Kenmore and not pay any sales tax.

11-19-2018, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I recall, U.S. Supreme Court recently ruled states can require internet retailers to charge sales taxes even if they have no in-state location where you reside, so it may well be that we will all be paying it soon enough.
11-19-2018, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

when did you last order from those internet suppliers ?

Internet Sales Tax: A 50-State Guide to State Laws
Learn the rules for your state about paying sales tax on Internet sales.

On June 21, 2018, the United States Supreme Court fundamentally changed the rules for collection of sales tax by Internet-based retailers. In its decision in South Dakota v. Wayfair Inc., the Court effectively stated that individual states can require online sellers to collect state sales tax on their sales. This ruling overturns the Court’s 1992 decision in Quill Corporation v. North Dakota. The Quill case prohibited states from requiring a business to collect sales tax unless the business had a physical presence in the state.

Internet Sales Tax: A 50-State Guide to State Laws | Nolo.com
11-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
when did you last order from those internet suppliers ?

Internet Sales Tax: A 50-State Guide to State Laws
Learn the rules for your state about paying sales tax on Internet sales.

On June 21, 2018, the United States Supreme Court fundamentally changed the rules for collection of sales tax by Internet-based retailers. In its decision in South Dakota v. Wayfair Inc., the Court effectively stated that individual states can require online sellers to collect state sales tax on their sales. This ruling overturns the Court’s 1992 decision in Quill Corporation v. North Dakota. The Quill case prohibited states from requiring a business to collect sales tax unless the business had a physical presence in the state.

Internet Sales Tax: A 50-State Guide to State Laws | Nolo.com

OK, I was aware of that. My question is why is it that some seem to be charging sales tax, and others do not.

Another example.. Each week I have at least 10 Ebay purchases. So far, no Ebay sellers have charged me any sales tax either.

Maybe this coming Black Friday might not only be a good time to land some good prices on photo gear, but also one last chance to avoid paying sales tax if you selectively purchase only from the retailers who, for what ever reason, are not yet charging sales tax.

11-19-2018, 10:37 PM - 2 Likes   #5

Photos: Gallery
Link to Wisconsin's remote seller's rule:

DOR Remote Sellers - Wayfair Decision
11-20-2018, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the issue is that tax free internet sales are likely mostly behind us. States have realized that this is a big loophole that loses them money and hurts local business and they are in the process of closing it up.

Most states with sales tax had a spot on their tax form that you were supposed to report internet purchases when you reported your taxes in the spring, but I'm sure most people didn't comply with that and they had little way of checking on it. I'm sure the bigger companies will be first to comply with collecting sales tax, but over time, expect that the practice will spread.
11-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

How does it hurt a local business to purchase something online if the local business doesn't have what you're looking for?

11-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
How does it hurt a local business to purchase something online if the local business doesn't have what you're looking for?
if the local business doesn't have it, will the local business obtain the item for you ?
11-20-2018, 08:41 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
if the local business doesn't have it, will the local business obtain the item for you ?
Did you buy your K3II from a local business? If not did you ask one to order it for you?
11-20-2018, 08:50 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you buy your K3II from a local business? If not did you ask one to order it for you?
to clarify all I meant to suggest was to check with the local store and then consider your options

to answer your question,

no, I did not buy it locally

my local shop does not sell Pentax except for used equipment which is traded in
and they can't special order it in they say

I have bought some of those trade in items from them

I have bought other cameras and equipment from them as well

I usually try not to buy new if I can find " experienced " equipment from those I trust - forum members

both the K 3 and K 3 II were bought new on " special deals " not offered by other vendors

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-20-2018 at 09:05 AM.
11-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
OK, I was aware of that. My question is why is it that some seem to be charging sales tax, and others do not.

Another example.. Each week I have at least 10 Ebay purchases. So far, no Ebay sellers have charged me any sales tax either.

Maybe this coming Black Friday might not only be a good time to land some good prices on photo gear, but also one last chance to avoid paying sales tax if you selectively purchase only from the retailers who, for what ever reason, are not yet charging sales tax.
Ebay is a different animal when it comes to sales tax. Generally speaking, ebay is set up so a person can sell items. It's like going to a local garage sale. When was the last time you paid a sales tax at a garage sale? Now, if a business is selling on ebay, then you will be seeing more ebay sales where a sales tax is added.

Last edited by bigdavephoto; 11-22-2018 at 03:35 PM. Reason: spelling.
11-22-2018, 03:53 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

First of all, B&H is not charging sales tax; they are collecting sales tax. If Wisconsin is like Indiana, you have had an obligation for some time to pay the tax directly to them if the vendor is not collecting it, so this ruling is just leveling the playing field - giving out-of-state vendors no advantage over local vendors, and those who ignore the law no advantage over those who carefully follow the law.
11-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photography gear is a very small portion of internet sales. Camera shops are a bit of an endangered species and if the only issue was sales tax on photography items, I don't suppose state legislatures would worry about it. But there are a lot of stories out there about local hardware stores, etc having folks come in, handle items and then order it online. Even without the sales tax, my guess is that local stores have trouble keeping up with big sellers prices on the internet, but that certainly could be another factor.

Regardless, I buy local when I can, even if there is a bit of sales tax involved.
11-25-2018, 08:02 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's based on your state's laws, not in any way at the discretion of the vendor. For example: Rhode Island considers vendors who make more than $100,000 in sales annually in the state or more than 200 transactions in the state to have economic nexus. This means the state considers these vendors obligated to collect sales tax from buyers in the state. Your state probably has similar laws.
11-26-2018, 03:58 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just think that over time most big sellers are going to start collecting sales tax on items they sell while ebay stuff and things on the market place probably won't -- at least not for awhile. The only solution is to move to a state without sales tax...