Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2018, 12:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What 4K UHD Blu-ray do you recommend as showstopper.

Have had a 60” 4K LG Oled tv for about 9 months now and been delighted with the picture quality when viewing HD sources and for that matter standard sources. Also bought a Sonos system, very pleasing sound quality, perhaps not quite up to the 5:1 but close enough to keep me happy.

Had not bothered until now with DVD but have just got an inexpensive Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-ray player.

So finally my questions.
What recommendations do you have for 4K UHD sources that will knock my/our socks off visually and sonically?

Have a broad range of interests but really enjoy Sci Fi, good Horror (non gory) fantasy. In fact anything with a good story line. SWMBO likes musical among others have just ordered fir her Mamma Mia 2

Thanks in advance
Tony

11-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. Neon Demon (some gore, but incredible use of color and photography)
2. Mad Max (the whole film is absolutely stunning visually)
3. Pacific Rim (same as above, and the lightest film out of the bunch, just popcorn entertainment)
4. Crimson Peak (some gore, but overall it's a dark fairy tale type, absolutely gorgeous photography)
5. Annihilation (slightly controversial, some didn't like the visual style. I was a fan of it personally)
6. Blade Runner 2049 (visually it's among the best looking movies I've ever seen. Original film is gorgeous as well, makes a great double viewing)
7. Inception
8. Interstellar
9. Only God Forgives (some gore, but gorgeous looking film. Although not to everyone's flavor, it's quite weird)
10. Mandy (very gory, but very beautiful)
11-23-2018, 07:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Revenant is stunning in 4K - Some of the best cinematography I have seen in years.
11-23-2018, 07:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hacksaw Ridge stands out for me.

11-24-2018, 02:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Excellent, thanks guys. First I thought it may sound a strange question as there are loads of review sites out there. But I wanted the views from fellow photographers and audiophiles.

awscreo, what a list. Should keep me occupied for some time with nearly all new to me and the ones I have seen only in standard definition. Thank you.

Digitalis, thanks for the recommendation another I have not seen, great cinematography is what I am looking for

Ex Finn thank you not seen it will definitely check it out
11-24-2018, 04:10 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
great cinematography is what I am looking for
Lawrence of Arabia.

I admit I haven't seen the UHD version yet but even the Blu-ray version is stunning.

Filmed in 70mm, scanned at 8k and down scaled.

However, it is slow paced and goes for nearly 4 hours.
11-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had forgotten about LoA saw the film many years ago and remember the a*** ache sitting in the cinema for such a long time. Still I remember the impressive quality. Have put this on my view list thank you

11-24-2018, 03:06 PM   #8

2001: A Space Odyssey

While I don't yet have a 4K UHD monitor and Blu-ray player the standard Blu-ray disk that comes with this looks spectacular so I can only imagine what the 4K UHD disc looks like.

I saw this film when it the first week it came out in 1968 and just about every re-release in Cinerama or 70mm here in Los Angeles. That includes the Chris Nolan supervised so-called "un-restoration" prints for the 50th anniversary earlier this year. I also own copies of the Criterion Co LaserDisc and all the DVD releases. The Blu-ray version blows away the earlier discs and many of the film prints I've seen on the silver screen including the Chris Nolan print.

The Blu-ray discs feature a newly remastered and remixed 5.1 DTS-HD audio track as well as the original mix in DTS-HD 5.1 audio track. I prefer the original audio mix.

Last edited by Not a Number; 11-25-2018 at 04:12 AM. Reason: DTS-HD audio, not Dolby
11-25-2018, 03:55 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
great cinematography is what I am looking for
Interstellar is also great in 4K - the soundtrack by Hans Zimmer can overshadow the visuals a bit, this is dependent upon your sound system though.
11-25-2018, 05:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not a Number, thanks saw 2001 at the cinema when first released and remember being awe struck. Years later saw it on standard small screen TV and felt that it had lost a lot. Now with a much better larger screen and sound system I will definitely be looking at this.

Digitalis thanks for the recommendation. Sound system is Sonos playbar with Sub and left and right rears. Hardly AV enthusiasts choice and not quite as good as the 5:1 it replaced, but too me a very satisfactory sound stage with pleasing tones and the boss approves (tolerates) aesthetically ;-)
11-25-2018, 09:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

2001 played in glorious 70mm in cinemas this summer. Unfortunately I missed the 70mm, and watched in in imax format a little bit after, but it was gorgeous nonetheless
11-25-2018, 05:10 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I should imagine the opening section of Saving Private Ryan would look pretty spectacular in 4K.
11-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Only FHD here, but I imagine that Planet Earth would be pretty good in 4k, I believe the second series is available in UHD.
11-26-2018, 01:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
timb64, you know I must be one of the few in the world who has not seen Saving Private Ryan. No idea why I missed it and forgot about it but thanks for the reminder I will check it out.

bertwert, great will seek out the second UHD series

Thank all who have put suggestions forward much appreciated