Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2019, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Everyone who has seen the documentary “Iron sky” know what’s on the far side of the moon.
(Laughs). A bit of that was shot in Australia.

01-23-2019, 03:47 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
(Laughs). A bit of that was shot in Australia.
Was that "shot in Australia" or "shot on the NASA sound stage that they use to shoot everything that is supposed to be in Australia, because Australia doesn't exist"?
01-23-2019, 05:24 AM - 3 Likes   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Was that "shot in Australia" or "shot on the NASA sound stage that they use to shoot everything that is supposed to be in Australia, because Australia doesn't exist"?
Absolutely spot on, Liney.

I say I'm Australian, but of course I'm from Bakersfield and was waiting tables in LA until NASA hired me.

I went with both 'Put a shrimp on the barbie' and 'A dingo took my baby' in the audition.
01-23-2019, 07:09 AM - 3 Likes   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I'm reading comments on Facebook
THAT was your first mistake.

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I am somewhat in a state of concern. Facts and science just do not matter anymore
Some people think their own senses are more finely attuned than others and somehow, this makes their conclusions more worthy of attention - even if their conclusions fly in the face of rational understanding.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the big thing is that there is a lot of basic distrust of various institutions, scientific and otherwise.
I have seen this kind of distrust of academia many times, and I will not stand for it. Certain members of my own family have come out with a few un-scientific gems, which I promptly quashed with simple demonstrations.

Though on youtube and other media platforms there are some real crackpots that just make me say:

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
. I figured all the Aussies would jump to NASA's defense as part of the ongoing script.
Sorry, I didn't get my script this morning.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-23-2019 at 07:22 AM.
01-23-2019, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
InSight is a fantastic bit of lander. FYI, that camera is on a 6' arm. You know, like an arm holding a camera...to take a selfie. Just like that.
About the Lander | Spacecraft ? NASA's InSight Mars Lander

NASA must really have some talented and creative artists to make all this stuff up. Look at New Horizons if you want to see more.
01-23-2019, 03:43 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

Any comments from Australia?
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, if you remember the story earlier in the year, this is a fake place too, it's a WB sound stage and we're all NASA actors.
Hence the question. I figured all the Aussies would jump to NASA's defense as part of the ongoing script.

We all have to wait for the Approved and Spellchecked script to come thru.....

We all used to be "Austrians" till that one time, somebody accidentally spelt it "Australia" , then in the mad, ad-lib scramble to cover that one up, we made up Kangaroos, Koalas and Echidnas spiraling out of control till we came up with a Mammal,that is semiaquatic , has fur, and a Duck bill, lays eggs, and has poisonous claw... a ... a. Oh lets call it a Platypus shall we.

Ever since then, we have been Australia's and we live Down-under. Thus, we have to wait for the Approved script.

Last edited by cmohr; 01-23-2019 at 10:05 PM.
01-23-2019, 04:41 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I just heard about Brandolini's Law:

Ordre Spontané: Brandolini’s law
On the other hand I hear people defending illogical facts by constant babble. I spent time timing conversations. 20 -1 is about average.

01-24-2019, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting article on the topic:

Trapped in a hoax: survivors of conspiracy theories speak out

http://flip.it/2_TUkc

01-26-2019, 08:46 PM - 3 Likes   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
, Koalas and Echidnas spiraling out of control till we came up with a Mammal,that is semiaquatic , has fur, and a Duck bill,
...and can make its own custard.
01-26-2019, 08:58 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Quite true! And the sad history of unethical behavior applies to all human institutions that purport to speak the truth: scientific, religious, governmental, corporate, and even those entities touting conspiracy theories. Every human institution has a vested interest in promoting its version of the truth and temptations toward corruption.

What's interesting is that that only science publishes a how-to manual by which anyone test something for truth versus falsehood. Everyone one else says "beleive me!" Only science says "test me."
ASSERT: Corrupt ‘scientists’ with an agenda sow discord and distrust, thus weakening our belief in the Scientific Method. Corrupt science begets the lunatic fringe, and leads to a disaccepting center.

Citing politically charged examples of unethical behavior here will garner a Moderator thread edit, so you’ll just need to trust my assertion.
01-26-2019, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
ASSERT: Corrupt ‘scientists’ with an agenda sow discord and distrust, thus weakening our belief in the Scientific Method. Corrupt science begets the lunatic fringe, and leads to a disaccepting center.

Citing politically charged examples of unethical behavior here will garner a Moderator thread edit, so you’ll just need to trust my assertion.
"Well so much for that theory, the science doesn't back it up".

"Never mind the science, there is enough data out there we'll just manipulate it until it comes up with what we want it to say..."

Case in point, anti-vaxxers!

Oh and the UK TV program "Have I got News For You" taught me that if you say "allegedly" you can't be sued...
01-27-2019, 09:28 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Andy, isn't your Pentax Forums avatar an image of the Parkes Observatory,
which was part of the elaborate ruse to fool the world that humans actually landed on the moon,
as commemorated in the 2000 film "The Dish" (Highly recommended, BTW) ?

Chris

* italics to denote tongue planted firmly in cheek

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 01-27-2019 at 09:37 AM.
01-28-2019, 03:10 AM - 2 Likes   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Andy, isn't your Pentax Forums avatar an image of the Parkes Observatory,
which was part of the elaborate ruse to fool the world that humans actually landed on the moon,
as commemorated in the 2000 film "The Dish" (Highly recommended, BTW) ?

Chris

* italics to denote tongue planted firmly in cheek
Chris, it is indeed Parkes. In fact we saw the Dish, loved the movie and told ourselves we would visit when we got the chance. It's only open for a couple of days every second year and we had the chance in 2009 which was the 40th anniversary of the landings.

Of course this statement is a fabrication as Parkes is allegedly in New South Wales which is a fictitious state in the fake continent of Australia.
01-28-2019, 06:50 AM   #44

I'm new to this excellent and entertaining thread, so forgive me if this has already been posted. It's an excellent explanation of why it would have been easier to land on the moon than fake the footage of the event.

01-29-2019, 04:55 AM - 4 Likes   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it is time for a XKCD interlude...