Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Binoculars - good for birding ?

Ricoh has these binoculars on their "12 Days of Holiday Deals". Model is Pentax DCF SW 10x25. Would these be OK for casual birding ? I wear eyeglasses, would these be OK for that accommodation ? I use a pair of Redfield Rebel 8x42 binocs now, but they're kind of big & heavy to carry along with my photo gear.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

12-14-2018, 10:41 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this info might be helpful

" When shopping for binoculars, you’ll discover wide price ranges on similar-looking styles. Understanding binocular specs, such as magnification, objective lens diameter and exit pupil will help you narrow down which pair works best for your needs. "

How to Choose the Best Binoculars | REI Expert Advice

" How To Use Binoculars With Glasses – Step by Step Guide

If you wear glasses all the time, then there are certain situations where you might face problems in focusing on the object. One such situation is where you have to look through binoculars. A binocular is normally used to look at far distant objects. It is quite obvious that the focal length of your glass and the binocular will not match. Then the obvious question that will come to your mind is how to use binoculars with glasses. To answer this particular question, we would like to touch on certain aspects that will automatically provide you with the apt solution. "

How To Use Binoculars With Glasses – Step by Step Guide - Binoculars Guru

" How To Choose Binoculars : A Complete Guide Of Choosing Binoculars For Different Applications

Welcome to Binoculars Guru's - A Definitive Guide of How To Choose Binoculars for different applications; what you need to know. In this guide, you will learn the bull's eye criteria that you must need to keep in mind before going to shop for binoculars. This guide is designed for Hunter, Bird Watcher, wildlife viewer, Safari lover, hiker, astronomy & Stargazer and the Military person who must need binoculars. By the way, If you are in a hurry and don't want to read the full guide, Then I will advise you check out the table of the content section or quick reading options below for your specific needs.

Let's dive into it...​ "

How To Choose Binoculars : A Complete Guide Of Choosing Binoculars For Different Applications

I'm sure you can find other articles as well

be sure to check prices
12-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I know nothing about bird watching and only a little about binoculars, but a 10x25 is not very powerful. Something like a 10x50 would work better for birding.
12-14-2018, 11:45 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I know nothing about bird watching and only a little about binoculars, but a 10x25 is not very powerful. Something like a 10x50 would work better for birding.
10x25 binoculars are 10x...10x50 binoculars are 10x...The difference is in the size of the objectives, so 10x50 will let in more light...and weigh a lot more...

12-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
10x25 binoculars are 10x...10x50 binoculars are 10x...The difference is in the size of the objectives, so 10x50 will let in more light...and weigh a lot more...
10 x is the magnification

the higher the magnification, the harder it can be to hold steady

the second number is the objective:

1. What do the Magnification Numbers on Binoculars Mean?

The magnification number on binoculars is expressed as part of a combination of two figures, for example 8x40 or 10x25.
The first figure (8x, 10x) refers to the power of magnification. Binoculars with an 8x magnification will make objects appear 8 times closer than they are. The higher the number, the closer objects will appear through the lenses.
Extreme magnifications (12x and up) make it difficult to maintain a steady image, unless you have the binoculars stabilized on a solid object like a table or a wall. You also get zoom binoculars, which offer an adjustable magnification range.

2. Objective Lens Size (Aperture)

The number following the magnification power is called the objective lens size, also referred to as aperture. This is a critical number, because it indicates how much light the lenses are able to gather. A 10x50 binocular will have a 50mm objective lens size, a 7x35 will have a 35mm objective lens size, etc. Wider lenses usually also increase the size of the binoculars.

The wider the objective lens size, the brighter the image you'll see thanks to more light being gathered through the lens. This number is most important for night sky viewing, or other low light conditions.

What Do The Numbers On Binoculars Mean ? Easy Explanation ! - Binoculars Guru

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-14-2018 at 12:12 PM.
12-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lower magnification binoculars are preferred by most birders, usually ~7x.

Chris
12-14-2018, 02:04 PM - 2 Likes   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All the above answers are relevant. As others have said, the 10x is the magnification. The 25 (or 40 or 50 or whatever) is the objective lens diameter. The maximum exit pupil is determined by the objective lens (generally the square root of the objective diameter). The pupil of the human eye can only dilate to about 7mm in dim light, which is the square root of 50. So (theoretically) binoculars with a 50 objective will give you what you need for dim light. But other things, such as the light transmission of the lenses and resolution are also important. I am not a committed birder but I do have some 8x25 Samsung binoculars (more than 20 years old) that I use for a wide range of purposes, including checking out birds (feathered ones). They are small and light and have outstanding clarity and brightness. My wife objects to lifting anything that weighs more than a feather and I bought her some Pentax 8x21 binoculars for her use. They are also very clear and bright. So unless you will be birding in the deepest of deep dark shadows, something less that a 50mm objective will probably meet your needs. Just look through them and see how they feel before you buy.

12-14-2018, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One has to also look at the diameter circle of the exit image. A 10 x 50 binocular will have an exit circle of 5mm. This is the approximate diameter of the pupil of your eye under normal conditions. A 10x25 set of binoculars will have an exit circle of 2.5mm. If you wear glasses this become more important. Also look at the eye relief spec. If you wear glasses this is important also. If you need to wear your glasses while viewing, longer eye relief is important.

They are listed as no longer available at B&H but the three reviews on their website seem to say that they are good for birding.
12-14-2018, 03:00 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
Ricoh has these binoculars on their "12 Days of Holiday Deals". Model is Pentax DCF SW 10x25. Would these be OK for casual birding ? I wear eyeglasses, would these be OK for that accommodation ? I use a pair of Redfield Rebel 8x42 binocs now, but they're kind of big & heavy to carry along with my photo gear.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.
The more compact and lightweight ones are fine for casual birding in reasonable light, as PJ1 has said. In fact my partner is quite happy with her very lightweight and compact Olympus 8 x 21 pair. I'd say from experience that lightweight 10x bins can be difficult to hold steady - 7x or 8x models are easier to use and the magnification is generally quite sufficient.

Some Pentax models are WR. I've got some and they have outlasted 3 pairs of my partner's which are non-WR. (We tend to leave them in the car.) The model you have linked to don't seem to be.

I like the feel of porro prism models and find them more comfortable to hold, but roof prism ones fold up smaller.

Some good info here: How to Choose and Buy Compact Binoculars - A How-To Guide
12-14-2018, 03:36 PM - 2 Likes   #10

Very good advice from posts above. Most of my birder friends use 8 by 42. I purchased a pair of Leupold binoculars several years ago from the Bargin Bin at Cabelas. They have retractable Eye Relief and work great for me. I always have them in my car and find them very handy if I am driving a wildlife area. They are great for looking out long distances to identify birds and animals I may wish to photograph.

Here is a link that may be helpful.
Binoculars: Eye Relief
12-14-2018, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tscip22 Quote
Most of my birder friends use 8 by 42
Yes serious birders will look askance at anything less than 40. Just as the birding photographers with 600mm lenses roll their eyes if you turn up with a xx-300. ;-) It's all a trade-off of weight/bulk/cost v performance.

QuoteOriginally posted by tscip22 Quote
Here is a link that may be helpful.
Thanks for this link. I've never had satisfactory eye relief. I end up taking my glasses off to use the bins and setting the diopter accordingly.

Last edited by Des; 12-15-2018 at 02:56 PM.
12-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That second number is very important. Higher will be brighter and less fatiguing.

Chris
12-22-2018, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I'm a big proponent of lower power bright binoculars.
opticron has some 6x30 binoculars that are super bright with a ton of eye relief for glasses, and because of the lower power they're really easy to hold steady.

Opticron USA - Binoculars Menu

I have their 5x30 monocular and I love it, it's very bright and sharp.