Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You guys should come to Singapore...
Carry a gun and you'll get a lengthy jail term.
Discharge the weapon in the open and it's the death penalty.
Draconian but we got zero gun violence...

09-29-2008, 02:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
You guys should come to Singapore...
Carry a gun and you'll get a lengthy jail term.
Discharge the weapon in the open and it's the death penalty.
Draconian but we got zero gun violence...

So what you're saying is that if you have strict gun laws and then enforce those laws, gun violence will drop? Who would have thought? Maybe the lawmakers here in the US should take notice. Maybe we should try to actually enforce the law here instead of just passing new laws all the time that only affect the law abiding.
09-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
So what you're saying is that if you have strict gun laws and then enforce those laws, gun violence will drop? Who would have thought? Maybe the lawmakers here in the US should take notice. Maybe we should try to actually enforce the law here instead of just passing new laws all the time that only affect the law abiding.
What a concept. Enforce the thousands of gun law and, other laws for that matter, that are already on the books. Having a law is useless unless it is enforced.

QuoteQuote:
As for the purchase of a long gun, you are flat out wrong. First off, if we don't need any kind of permit to purchase a rifle or shotgun. If you are buying a long gun from a dealer, it requires a back ground check. The back ground check involves the dealer calling the Feds to get approval. The last shotgun I purchased, that phone call lasted slightly over 1 minute. If you buy from an individual, there is no paperwork or back ground check.
In Texas and many other states that allow for concealed carry permits that permit serves as the background check. Walk into store, pick desired long gun or handgun, give payment to counter person, fill out 4473 paperwork, flash permit, walk out of store with chosen firearm.
09-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #19
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
What's Henry's getting out of this?
Probably he's getting rid of old stock and possibly a tax write off. Good PR as well.

They did a buyback in my area recently and payed good money, they actually ran out of money and had to start giving vouchers to claim the money at a later date.
I don't think it worked too well, from what I've heard, people were bringing in non working guns (there was no rule that said they had to be working) so they could use the cash to buy working guns.
Murders in Oakland are already over a hundred for the year.

09-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #20
Inactive Account

100? That's more than Aus's and the UK's national totals.
09-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #21
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
100? That's more than Aus's and the UK's national totals.
It'll probably get closer to 200 by the end of year, what with the Christmas rush.

And there you were going on about California being so liberal and hippyfied. California is an equal opportunity state.
09-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Weeeelll, if they're shootin' hippies...

09-29-2008, 08:20 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
It'll probably get closer to 200 by the end of year, what with the Christmas rush.

And there you were going on about California being so liberal and hippyfied. California is an equal opportunity state.
And California has some of the strictest gun laws in the country.
09-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #24
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Weeeelll, if they're shootin' hippies...

Can't we all just get along you old bugger.
09-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #25
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
And California has some of the strictest gun laws in the country.
They're banned in San Fran I think but people are still getting shot left right and centre.
09-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
They're banned in San Fran I think but people are still getting shot left right and centre.
If I remember correctly the city of San Francisco tried to ban private ownership of handguns but it got struck down in one of the courts as unconstitutional. I can't speak of other countries, but in this country some of the cities with the most restrictive gun laws also have some of the highest crime rates. Washington D.C., Chicago, and New York are just a few. I'm curious if it's more a function of having such large diverse population in very close proximity.
09-30-2008, 01:00 AM   #27
Damn Brit

If I remember correctly the city of San Francisco tried to ban private ownership of handguns but it got struck down in one of the courts as unconstitutional. I can't speak of other countries, but in this country some of the cities with the most restrictive gun laws also have some of the highest crime rates. Washington D.C., Chicago, and New York are just a few. I'm curious if it's more a function of having such large diverse population in very close proximity.
I guess it's prolific more in areas that there is a lot of gang activity/poverty/drugs.
I would have thought in Chicago it's mostly the cops.
09-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
San Francisco (as well as Chicago and others) continue to have bans on firearms. A recent Supreme Court Decision stated the Washington D.C.'s gun ban was unconstitutional, but it applies to D.C. only. Some local communities have since repealed their laws banning gun ownership but San Francisco and Chicago remain in effect - which is why the NRA has filed suit against them.
09-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Which is why I said "in some states"... I know some places in the US have waiting periods... which we do not have here.

Pat
What's the waiting period for an AR-15?
09-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
What's the waiting period for an AR-15?
It's an assault weapon so obviously it's illegal here.

Besides what the heck would anyone want one of those for? It's not exactly a great hunting weapon... I'll take my Browning A-Bolt any day over an AR-15.

And for home protection I'm quite happy with a short Remington 870 12ga. Since I don't wanna kill anyone, I got a buckshot rubber round for my first shell, a rubber slug for my 2nd shell and 2 00 steel buckshot rounds in case #1 and #2 did not deter the intruder.

We're probably veering way off topic here, and I don't think this is the place to debate the pros and cons of gun control... but I do find it interesting to see how things are done elsewhere.

Pat